OT - Elizabeth Edwards Funeral Protest

Page 2 of 3

"SBH" wrote in message

The courts have the final say on *everything*. So if the courts can determine whether or not someone goes to prison for the rest of his life (or gets a lethal injection), is it reasonable to insist they can't be trusted to rule on where the Phelps clan can stage their nightmarish protests?
On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 12:57:49 -0800, CW wrote:

I really, really, really hope you're trolling :-).

"CW" wrote in message

Nonsense. The law limits speech when a compelling public interest overrides a private interest. I cannot libel or slander you without risking a lawsuit, the law recognizes that preventing *damaging* defamation is more important than my right to speak defamatory words--your right not to be injured overrides my right to speak. The Phelps clan cannot demonstrate that being kept away from the gates of a cemetery prevents them from speaking, it only keeps them from inflicting emotional distress on the family of a dead soldier (or whoever's family they are trying to hurt). So the right of a family at a funeral not to injured by hateful speech should override the Phelps clan's right to speak *at that particular location*. This isn't a blanket ban on their speech, only a limitation on it being conducted in a location designed purely to inflict needless pain.
As one of the Supreme Court Justices hearing the related case asked, what if the Phelps wanted to protest outside the homes of wounded soldiers, follow them to their rehab sessions, picket family picnics, follow them down public streets and so on. Would that speech be protected? Are there no limits, anywhere, ever?
"DGDevin" wrote:

His daughter is the legal eagle for the "business".
Lew

Making her The Target.

One way to counter them would be to picket, protest, and otherwise totally obstruct THEIR lives. i.e.: send a well-behaved mob to their church, homes, and place of business. Protest loudly all night long. Publish photographs of individuals at their business. Sic a PI on them and publish the dirt. Send a mob to THEIR gatherings (weddings, funerals, company picnics, graduations, church functions, &tc.).
And jam potatoes up the tailpipes of their cars (I learned that one when I was ~ 7 yrs old).
-Zz
-Zz
RonB wrote:

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/controversial-church-protest-elizabeth-edawards-funeral/story?id 364430
With all due respects to the lady, its at times like this when the words from the song - Imagine - by the great, late John Lennon, ring very true when someone cannot be put to rest in peace because of religeous intolerance and bigotry.
Imagine there's no Heaven It's easy if you try No hell below us Above us only sky Imagine all the people Living for today
Imagine there's no countries It isn't hard to do Nothing to kill or die for *And* *no* *religion* too Imagine all the people *Living* *life* *in* *peace*
I am a committed atheist, but if there is to be religious friction in this world, then at least let all opposing factions call a truce at the interment of a "believer" so that they may meet their maker in peace.
On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:28:55 -0000, "Disbelief"

--
Mr.E

On Sun, 12 Dec 2010 19:28:55 -0000, "Disbelief"

Nice thought, but the idiots on both (or all, as there are more than two) sides want to snuff the others.
I'll see you and call you one:
That's me in the corner That's me in the spotlight Losing my religion
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ2yXWi0ppw
(REM, 1991)
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
Larry Jaques wrote:

Not a patch on Lennon's song - and if there were no religion, the world would be a damn site better place. Too many have died, been maimed, deprived of food or cast out of society in the name of religion - and usually by preachers of it who are either hypocrites or bigots or both.
When was the last time you saw a hungry clergyman? I could go on, but this is not the place to do so.
And just to finish Lennon's song:
You may say that I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will be as one
Imagine no possessions I wonder if you can No need for greed or hunger A brotherhood of man Imagine all the people Sharing all the world
You may say that I'm a dreamer But I'm not the only one I hope someday you'll join us And the world will live as one
And that's the world without religion..
On Dec 13, 2:24pm, "Disbelief" <disbelief@diilly- daally....invalid.com> wrote:

Some people quote the Bible and try to live by what it teaches. You quote John Lennon, a drugged-out megalomaniac. You may, sir, live by what he had to say, I'll stick to _my_ beliefs.

That's right: To each his own, or as the poet said: Jeder soll nach seiner Faon selig werden
(one line): <http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liste_gefl%C3% BCgelter_Worte/J#Jeder_soll_nach_seiner_Fa.C3.A7on_selig_werden.>
--
Best regards
Han
Han wrote:

I fully agree, and then perhaps the various religious factions could get on with living their own beliefs whilst respecting others and perhaps praying to whatever god they believe in peacefully side by side.
All the best and may your Christmas be a good and peaceful one - and if your religion doesn't recognise the birth of a Christ, then peace to you all.
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 12:00:47 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Yeah, tell us all about your Old Testament punishments and such, Toy.
Poor John was horribly liberal, too.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
"Disbelief" wrote in message

A fellow my wife and I know lost everything to Hurricane Katrina, his house had six feet of water in it. He didn't even see anyone from FEMA for months, but he and his neighbors were fed and housed for the most part by church groups, many of them had come hundreds or even thousands of miles to help. So while I agree that religion has been the source of a lot of strife over the centuries, that doesn't mean that no good has ever come of it. Religion is no different from any other aspect of human society, it can be a force for good or ill, it all depends on how people use it.
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:15:16 -0800, DGDevin wrote:

Absolutely correct. And whether or not the religion is "true" or not seems to have no bearing.
Have a wonderful winter solstice festival, whatever myths you attach to it :-).

I celebrate Festivus.
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 15:15:16 -0800, "DGDevin"

Please remember that one does not have to go to church, nor preach to natives to have a good heart, to share their bounty, or to be nice to people. Religion gets in the way of that more than you think, driving away generous people who don't want to put up with the horrible bigotry and animosity of churchgoers of all races and religions.
I'm totally against organized religion yet I gave $6 to a lady and her daughter who approached me as I left the market yesterday. They needed gas to get to Portland.
Religious folks can keep their witch burnings, Crusades, Westboros, etc.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch
"Larry Jaques" wrote in message

How about their soup kitchens and homeless shelters and rehab programs and hospices and so on, can they keep those two? You're choosing to see only one side, and while bigotry and stupidity can certainly be found among religious people, so can compassion and generosity. I've known some real jerks who made a big deal of their religious faith, but some of the nicest folks I've ever met were also very religious--they're not all looking for opportunities to burn witches.
On Mon, 13 Dec 2010 22:26:42 -0800, "DGDevin"

The jerk/nice ratio is about 1,000:6 in my experience. The local soup kitchen/flop house -demands- that the partakers listen to their sermons before dinner, say grace, and all but demand (which would be illegal) work from them for their services. There's not much room for compassion and generosity with all that need for spouting religion. My neighbor is a Catholic and says that her church gives away food and such without asking the needy to listen to their religious views or for anything in return. That sounds like a lot more compassionate and generous
Churches could do a lot more for the homeless and hungry if they didn't spend countless millions on ornate and gaudy church buildings. $100 million for one church in HelL.A., $25 million for a gold-topped Mormon temple in Sandy Eggo, etc. That money could have fed, clothed, and housed a metric shitload of people, huh?

Me, too. But, like I've said, the ratio is very wide and the bad guys are on the big end.
-- Know how to listen, and you will profit even from those who talk badly. -- Plutarch