OT: Electrical - Removing a circuit

I've got a series of outlets that are the same height as my railroad's benchwork. I've actually got enough outlets in that area, so disconnecting the circuit would be the easiest way to go.

Can I just remove the wire from the circuit breaker and label it as disconnected, or do I need to do more to properly disconnect the circuit?

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I've done that, then screw a wire nut onto the end of the wire to make sure it doesn't contact anything else. This may not be the official way to do things, though.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Remove the wire from the circuit breaker and either tape or place a wire nut on the wire. Attach a tag that states what the wire goes to. The tag is useful if in the future you have forgot where it goes or someone else needs to know. Bend the wire out of way in the back of the box.

Paul T.

Reply to
P.H.T.

Puckdropper wrote in news:4f6eded9$0$57813$c3e8da3 $ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

If you disconnect it, you should wire-nut the loose end -- but why? Unless you need that breaker for something else, there are two even simpler ways of abandoning the circuit: turn the breaker off, or just don't use it. Why bother doing anything?

Reply to
Doug Miller

$c3e8da3

s you need that

the circuit: turn the

I imagine he wants to remove the outlets physically from the wall, and repair the wall. I know that here in NY you're not allowed to bury an electrical box such that it can't be found, but I don't know how that applies to disconnected ones.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

Greg Guarino wrote in news:92da409b-969e-45ab-9c0a- snipped-for-privacy@fk28g2000vbb.googlegroups.com:

Well, maybe so, but I still have to ask, what's the point? It's easy enough to just stop using them...

Reply to
Doug Miller

813

gh to just stop using

His original post made it seem like the outlets were in the way of his "railroad benchwork", not that I'm clear on what that is. In a similar situation, I had a kitchen outlet which was about to be half-covered by a backsplash. I removed it.

Reply to
Greg Guarino

circuit: turn the

Because you unnecessaily increase the chances of having an accident, by someone (merely) inadvertantly resetting the C-B'er!

Reply to
Bill

Doug Miller wrote in news:XnsA021A07C8CFC1dougmilmaccom@88.198.244.100:

The outlets will be partially covered by the benchwork, and removal of the covers and outlets will be impossible without removing the permanently installed benchwork. It would be similar to a countertop partially covering a wall outlet.

If removing the wire from the breaker (and nutting it) is all that has to be done, great. I'm not looking to remove the outlets from the wall if I can avoid it.

I know why that breaker is turned off... Nobody else does and I'd rather not have someone try to be "helpful" and reset it.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 19:46:52 +0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

just stop using

What's the point?? The point is that he's being responsible to a future renovator. By removing the outlets now (or at least disconnecting them), he's eliminating possible complications that some future renovator might encounter.

Reply to
Dave

to just stop using

Yabut, a future renovator most likely would remove the train tables and would not want to reinstall outlets. It would be much simpler to remove tape from a turned off breaker and turn it on. If I were that future renovator, turning on a breaker would be much less complicated that pulling wire and doing renovator boxes and all to reinstall a missing circuit.

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

Label...label...label.... disconnect and label the circuit wires. Possibly use half blankoff plates for future circuit usage.

Because you unnecessaily increase the chances of having an accident, by someone (merely) inadvertantly resetting the C-B'er!

Reply to
m II

Doug Winterburn wrote in news:4f6fb680$0$2206$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I'm likely to be that future renovator... I'd like to leave the outlets dead, installed in the wall (covered with tape or something paintable) and just disconnect the circuit. I don't see any reason to disconnect the neutral and ground, but was wondering if I had to pull everything and cover the box (I sure hope not.)

I know you're not supposed to permanently close up live junction boxes, but dead ones are another matter.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

'Cept for the illegal part, that'd work. Verily, the codemongers would smite thee for that because the Lord, our NEC, sez: Thou shalt have no wires but real ones in the breaker box.

-- "When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yep, for sure. I mean, a day doesn't go by around here that the code police don't storm the place looking for loose wires in the breaker box.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On 26 Mar 2012 02:09:04 GMT, Puckdropper

What you choose to do is entirely your choice. However, you did ask the question and the answer I gave is what I would do in your place. Now, quite possibly, that's just me being anal. But, what if you move? Would you rectify the outlets before you move? What happens after you pass on and a relative gets the house?

Again, what I suggested is if I was in your position. You have to decide what's right for you.

Reply to
Dave

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:a2e20$4f6fd668 $4b75eb81$ snipped-for-privacy@ALLTEL.NET:

Cheaper, yes, by a few pennies. Easier and faster, no. Disconnecting and nutting the black wire requires removing and reinstalling the panel cover. A lockout can be installed without removing the cover.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Larry Jaques wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Got a Code cite for that? I'm not sure that's correct...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Pull the hot wire off the breaker, cap it and label it. Don't label it train room, label it SW bedroom... assume the person following you has nothing else to go by. Put a card under the outlets, or hang a tag from them that says, "disconnected from Breaker to allow train set, fully operational if re-connected" That way somebody does not assume there is a problem with the circuit.

Cover the outlets with tape and have fun.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton

"No stray wires." was stated as code to me by the last electrician I talked to, and it makes sense, eh? Prove me wrong?

Me no gots no code book.