OT: Electric motor problem

I've got a GE 1/2 hp 1720 rpm motor I'm having troubles with. Its a brand new motor and has the wiring diagram right on the tag and according to it all the connections are correct. The problem is it will only run for about 10-20 seconds before it overheats (gets hot to the touch) and the thermal overload shuts it down. The strange part is if I reverse it (change two wires) its fine. It only does this in the clockwise direction. Its definitely a reversing motor, says so right on it and according to the specs that came with it. Any ideas?
Thanks!
Jim
--
Junk is something you've kept for years and throw away three weeks
before you need it.
James D. Kountz wrote:

Any ideas?

Brand new? trouble? Take it back. Any attempt to repair it may cost you the warrantee Ed
this)citlink.net> wrote in message

this is one of life's simple lessons that ive had so much trouble with. you put it about as simply as it could be put. some of the best advice anyone could ever take.
randy
I guess returning it makes the most sense I just thought Id check around first and see if this was something that's been experienced before and could be fixed easily. If I thought it was just a matter of changing a wire or two then that would be alot easier to do than returning it and waiting for another yada yada. But I guess its something internal which I'm not about to tackle myself. Thanks anyway everyone.
Jim
this)citlink.net> wrote in message

you
Taking it back is the best plan. Even if you did find one of the wires was plugged wrong on the back of the card and fixed it you may still have caused some long term weakness.