OT: electical sub panel grounding

Nowhere did he say what you say he said. He said: Insulated neutral busses ---- and ground busses mounted and wires only as described --- will meet those NEC requirements.

He did not say: Insulated neutral bus and ground bus bars --- mounted and wires ONLY as described --- will meat those NEC requirements.

So no, he was NOT wrong.

You just chose to read it wrong.

And so are you - - - - in the interpretation of what he wrote.

Reply to
clare

Wrong. "INSULATED neutral buss and ground buss bars" means the both are INSULATED (the symmetry of the phrase indicates such). Since he refuses to clarify...

That's *exactly* what he did say. It may not be what he meant but it's what he said.

Perhaps he wrote it wrong but since he refuses to clarify...

You must be illiterate.

Reply to
krw

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:54395b42$0$64426 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Actually it does. If you read the NEC you'll find several instances where multiple grounds are described. In general every building is allowed to have a ground.

What the NEC cares about is having only a single path for the neutral (which they occasionally call the "grounded conductor", just to make things confusing).

I cannot find this wording in the NEC(*), at least not in section

250.30, which I think is the relevant section for subpanels. All that that section specifies is that the neutral on the subpanel be isolated (and it does say isolated, not insulated).

It definately does, and no-one is disputing that. However I think your source is going beyond the NEC, and is perhaps looking at a specific situation rather than the general case (in particular, I think it's looking at a situation where the ground is tied to the neutral, and the neutral is bonded to the case. In that situation to use the panel for a subpanel the tie between neutral and ground and the bond to the case must be removed, and a new bond between ground and case added).

John

(* 2008 handbook, I don't have access to the 2014 edition).

Reply to
John McCoy