OT: eHow Copyright Infringed Me

In your cPanel you may find that you can simply turn off remotely serving image files. Then if there are some you do want to remotely serve put them in a separate directory and allow remote serving for files in that directory. Some will even allow you to customize how remote serving requests are processed. You will have to check out the options offered by your host, but you may be surprised.

Reply to
Bob La Londe

I just looked and found two comments from you. I added another :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Indeed.

There's never an excuse for being rude. (And I say that as someone who is sometimes deliberately rude.)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I flagged it. I also tried to comment but it's not showing up. Maybe the author turned off comments or something.

(yes, I'm a member)

Reply to
-MIKE-

That was that was the original web page I wrote it for, and where it's been heisted from countless times ... :)

Reply to
Swingman

Ralph E Lindberg laid this on me on 24 Dec 2009 in rec.woodworking:

do a google search for 'htaccess' and 'mod rewrite'. (assuming her http server is running Apache...). htaccess is a file lets you specify all sorts of directives to help sort out issues like this. One of the many things mod rewrite can do is let you specify files (in this case, jpgs/gifs) that can only be accessed by the home server, and can tell the server what to do when it is accessed remotely. (as well as all sorts of other neat tricks).

Sean

Reply to
Sean S

Mike,

I got my kid a 5-piece kit for x-mas (Tama). I might be hitting you up for tips later next week! :^)

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Hmmmmm...... I knew mod_rewrite was capable of a lot of things, but I didn't know about *that*! Thank you. That gives me a fistful of new ideas...

Reply to
Doug Miller

Mike,

I got my kid a 5-piece kit for x-mas (Tama). I might be hitting you up for tips later next week! :^)

Did you buy that 5-piece kit from Mike? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Ooooooooooohh. :-)

Reply to
-MIKE-

Nice! I'd love to help in any way I can.

I have drum tuning info on my site if you want to read up.

Reply to
-MIKE-

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:15:03 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks scrawled the following:

Aha! I have just figured out what's really going on here:

He's a pastor. He works with God.

God created/owns everything.

This means that your supposed copyright is moot.

Sorry, Charlie. ;)

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:10:04 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks scrawled the following:

Iffen it's a book ye want, laddy, try _FIND IT ONLINE: The Complete Guide to Online Research_ by Alan M. Schlein. 4th edition, 2004.

Other quick sources are

&
.

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:35:28 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks scrawled the following:

True, but see my other post for the most common rationalization of his actions.

-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Hmm indeed. The only way I can see this working is if mod_rewrite looks at the referrer header and ensures that it is the local site; so absent the REFERER header being spoofed, it should work.

This will also preclude things like wget, which aren't allowed to specify the REFERER header[*].

scott

[*] Yeah, it's mispelled in the HTTP RFC too.
Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I suspect that he believed the attribution (the garagewoodworks URL) that appeared when one clicked on the image was sufficient.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Ok. Thanks. The guy at the shop said they were pre-tuned, but I wouldn't know the difference ( I don't think anyway). I'll give your tuning page a read.

Reply to
GarageWoodworks

Yeah, that's the right idea. For the OP (and anyone else who cares), here'e one way I do it (obviously, you need to turn mod rewrite on in htaccess first...) where DOMAIN would be your domain.

RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?DOMAIN.com/.*$ [NC] RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?DOMAIN.com$ [NC] RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?DOMAIN.com.*/.*$ [NC] RewriteCond %{HTTP_REFERER} !^http://(www\.)?DOMAIN.com.*$ [NC]

RewriteRule (.*)\.(gif|jpg|bmp|png)$ - [F,NC]

You can alternatively create a rule that substitutes a new image for the requested one if you really wanna mess with 'em (I've seen some funny ones, many NSFW), but I prefer to save the bandwidth and just make it forbidden.

Sean

Reply to
Sean S

I can no longer count how many times as a Photo Researcher for a large publisher that I've run into photos being used without permissions. Unfortunately you will find this practice often on University sites. Students snag them and post them in articles used for assignments. The University doesn't seem to have a problem with displaying the article. Having been in the printing trades for many years and working with customers who have no clue about this stuff. And, then the anger when you tell them they will need a waiver from the author to use the material.

Keep after them otherwise they never learn. Although, it will be a tough fight for you and can be expensive if lawers are involved.

Roy

Reply to
ROYNEU

If they're used only for assignments, doesn't it fall under the "fair use" clause?

Patents are the same deal, and much worse.

Reply to
krw