OT: eHow Copyright Infringed Me

Page 3 of 4
-MIKE- wrote:

That was that was the original web page I wrote it for, and where it's been heisted from countless times ... :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 12/24/09 2:33 PM, Swingman wrote:

Ooooooooooohh. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Swingman wrote:

Exactly.
In the new Amerika, you guys gotta learn to share!
--
Jack
Got Change: Amerika - The new Collective!

I have a friend that embeds a VISIBLE copyright on every photo he posts. He also puts info "inside" the jpeg.
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 17:35:28 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks

True, but see my other post for the most common rationalization of his actions. <titter>
-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

I just posted this comment; we'll see how long it stays there:
"Why are you posting copyrighted material from garagewoodworks.com without permission?"
On Dec 23, 9:52pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Lol! Thanks! :^)

It didn't stay there long. I actually posted the comment about an hour and a half ago, wrote my previous message -- and forgot to post it. Came back to newsgroups just a few minutes ago, saw that still sitting there waiting to be sent, and sent it.
Just checked eHow -- my comment is gone. So I posted this one:
"Why do you: a) post copyrighted material without permission, and b) remove comments complaining about it?"
We'll see how long that stays up....

Not that what eHow did was correct, but is there anywhere on garagewoodworks that says anything about copyright? I looked all around and couldn't find any copyright information.

Doesn't have to say it. It's copyright protected automatically when published. It's US law. See: The Digital Millennium Copyright Act of 1998

Correct.
Not quite correct. It's copyright protected automatically when *created*.

Follow up and don't let the a**hole get away with it. Several years ago, I began to get emails from people telling me a creep in WI was selling the plans to my Jake's Chair, despite it being specifically prohibited. I wrote him and a friend spent the $20 to get a copy of "his" plans for me from the eBay site. All the plans were was a poor quality copy of the drawings I had posted for the chairs, coupled with a bad photograph of his own copies. The ass&ole's reply was, "sue me or complain to eBay and I'll tie you up in court forever." Fortunately, there were enough friends around that they posted horrible comments about quality and authenticity on eBay that he gave up, finally.
--
Nonny

Also see: http://www.the-eggman.com/writings/crlaw.html#A
It's only allowed under what's called "fair use". Non-profit purposes. The author profits, so "fair use" is out the window.
J W wrote:

There doesn't have to be a notice in the US. It is a given that anything one does is copyrighted unless one explicitly _waives_ copyright.

Bt unless the copyright is registered, collecting damages is not likely.
(snip)

This kind of stuff really annoys me as well. All he had to do is send a quick email asking if he could use the photo because he was writing an article and it was a great example, looked perfect. etc. I do not mean to mitigate the legality involved but how freakin lazy and rude can you be.
It does question the authenticity of the entire article. Did he write that or cut and paste it as well.
Larry C

Indeed.
There's never an excuse for being rude. (And I say that as someone who is sometimes deliberately rude.)
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:37:49 -0800, GarageWoodworks wrote:

I just looked and found two comments from you. I added another :-).

On 12/24/09 12:19 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I flagged it. I also tried to comment but it's not showing up. Maybe the author turned off comments or something.
(yes, I'm a member)
--

-MIKE-

Mike,
I got my kid a 5-piece kit for x-mas (Tama). I might be hitting you up for tips later next week! :^)