OT: eHow Copyright Infringed Me

Page 2 of 4
GarageWoodworks wrote:

You're welcome - this might be even quicker:
Michael A. Straessle 103 Hwy 89 South Mayflower, AR 72106 501-744-8204
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Holy cow. I'd love to know how you did that.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Google you name and check with 411.com for starters. You'd be amazed at how much information is available. Now that you know where the guy lives, go to zillow.com and see his house and find out what he pays in RE taxes.
In your situation, I'd also send him a certified letter about the copyright.
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 21:10:04 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks

Iffen it's a book ye want, laddy, try _FIND IT ONLINE: The Complete Guide to Online Research_ by Alan M. Schlein. 4th edition, 2004.
Other quick sources are www.Google.com & www.Whitepages.com .
-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

I suspect that he believed the attribution (the garagewoodworks URL) that appeared when one clicked on the image was sufficient.
scott

They were even stupid enough to display your URL at the bottom of it. Get a screen grab of that quick, before they change it.
Then email and phone their ISP to complain. Whois lookup shows their domain registrar is Enom Inc (www.enom.com), but the other whois information is private. I'd start with a telephone complaint to Enom -- I've dealt with them before, and found them to be polite and responsive.
On Dec 23, 8:08pm, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Thanks Doug. I took a screen grab of the screen w/ thumbnail photo and with the enlarged photo and url.
I gave the guy an opportunity to contact me, but he deleted my first comment and did not contact me as I requested. I flagged the article with eHow, but I migt also do as you suggested by contacting their ISP.
The funny thing is that if you google the article author, he appears to be a 'real' author and has written a couple books. He should have known better! This isn't some goof ball college kid that wrote this.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

Yes he should have. I hope you have a registered copyright; i.e., one paid and registered with the Library of Congress.
The difference between registered and unregistered copyrights is that you do not need to prove damages with a registered one, only that an infringement has occurred. That infringement alone carries hefty statutory penalties; any actual damage beyond that amount can also be recovered. If unregistered, one has to prove infringement *and* monetary damages.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

FYI... http://www.asja.org/pubtips/copyrite.php
PS: even though "copyrights" is misspelled, it's a pretty good article :)
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Aha! I have just figured out what's really going on here:
He's a pastor. He works with God.
God created/owns everything.
This means that your supposed copyright is moot.
Sorry, Charlie. ;)
-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

He knows better. That's why he didn't reply. Probably another preacher who thinks he's above it all.
On Wed, 23 Dec 2009 15:37:49 -0800 (PST), the infamous GarageWoodworks

They give the full link to your site and pic, though, Brain. ;)
I see some of my pics in blogs now and again and consider that it probably makes my site more popular, so I'm not against it.
-- REMEMBER: The sooner you fall behind, the more time you'll have to catch up!

Still copyright infringement. Still breaking the law. I gain nothing from my photo being used and he gets paid. No, this is wrong.
A citation under the photo as a photo credit would have been nice. Most people will never click the photo, thus never see the url.
He is passing it off as his own by doing what he did.
GarageWoodworks wrote:

It happens all the time ... I've had an entire website copied once, word for word, picture for picture, chart for chart, in India ... no amount of legal threats did the trick. I'm talking technical stuff, a treatise on Internet "domain name service", complete with charts, the underpinnings of the Internet, way back before anyone here could even spell "computer", let alone "www".
And, wrote this 13 years ago and have seen it quoted all over the web, including it being used, word for word, in a movie, without a single credit to the author ... go figure:
http://www.andersonfair.com/HssAF_2.htm
What's mine, is apparently also your's ....
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Dam Karl! That would have pissed me off big time! I guess anyone that posts art in general is at risk. It's no wonder why artists post their work with huge watermarks over top.
In dropped this bit of wisdom:

Actually, the quote is: "What's mine is mine and what's yours is ours." Probably, if you were to infringe upon him, he would seek umbrage.
:-( P D Q
"PDQ" wrote: ===============Actually, the quote is: "What's mine is mine and what's yours is ours." ================ Always thought it was ,"What's mine is mine and what's yours is negotiable."
Lew
> without a single

Go look again, Karl.
--

-MIKE-

-MIKE- wrote:

?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
On 12/24/09 7:51 AM, Swingman wrote:

Bottom of the page: "(Karl A. Cailllouet 1996)"
Maybe he got some scruples. :-)
--

-MIKE-