OT: Edward

Page 6 of 7
nhurst wrote:

The vice presidential debate between Cheney and Edwards was pretty good. As was the debate between Lloyd Bentson and Dan Quayle.
I'm told the Lincoln-Douglas debates were stem-winders.
[...]

There is of course one *major* problem with public funding of elections: it compels taxpayers to fund the campaigns of candidates whose positions they oppose.
"Doug Miller" wrote:

And?
Lew

And you don't find that objectionable?
It appears to me, from some of your other posts, that your politics and mine are rather at odds with each other. Tell me, how would you feel about being forced to support the political campaigns of, say, Ron Paul and Tom Tancredo? (For the record, I'd object too, for those two bozos.)
"Doug Miller" wrote:

It doesn't matter if I find it objectionable.
The idea has been filed, reviewed, and found moot to the subject at hand.
You are required to pay taxes some of which probably get spent on things you oppose, but you are still required to pay them.
Same here.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

A faithful citizen is required to attempt to elect individuals that will spend tax monies in a way consistent with their own beliefs.
A sane citizen is required to attempt to elect individuals that will minimize the need for tax monies.
snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote in

We are funding wars we oppose without too much complaint - I would expect the cost of funding elections wouldn't compare in cost.

??? I observe *plenty* of complaining from the ones who are opposed.

Perhaps not, but IMHO that's irrelevant. The point is that political campaigns advance ideas, promote agendas for public policy, etc -- and public funding of campaigns compels voters to support the advancement of ideas and agendas whose promotion they would *never* support voluntarily.
: The fact that Kennedy just recently passionately urged the repeal of that : law and urging reinstatement of governor appointment just makes it sleazy : and demonstrates that Democrats don't like a level playing field.
Not sure that's a fair interpretation. What Kennedy advocated was a change in the law which would allow a gubernatorial appointment *until the election is held*, which has to be something like 5 months after the vacancy. The move was to basically not leave Massachusetts voters without two senatorial votes for half a year, not to repeal any law.
It would bridge a gap created by the (arguably more democratic, with a lower case 'd') new law.
    -- Andy Barss

The law was changed so the Republican governor could not make an appointment. Now the governor is a Democrat so they want to change it back. Politics at it worst. Change the law to suit the party.
:> Not sure that's a fair interpretation. What Kennedy advocated was :> a change in the law which would allow a gubernatorial appointment *until :> the election is held*, which has to be something like 5 months :> after the vacancy. The move was to basically not leave Massachusetts :> voters without two senatorial votes for half a year, not to repeal any :> law.:> :> It would bridge a gap created by the (arguably more democratic, with a :> lower case 'd') new law.:> :> -- Andy Barss:>
: The law was changed so the Republican governor could not make an : appointment. Now the governor is a Democrat so they want to change it back.
No, that's incorrect.
Go read the actual letter Kennedy wrote to the governor.
    -- Andy Barss
Andrew Barss wrote:

Andy, I understand what was in the letter about not wanting a vacancy. However, Kennedy was perfectly OK with a 5 to 6 month vacancy back in 2004 when he actively lobbied for the current law in order to prevent then-governor Romney from being able to appoint an interim senator should Kerry have won the 2004 election. The 2004 law was passed specifically to *prevent* the governor from having an interim appointment. Now that there is a governor with a (D) after his name, Kennedy wanted to make sure the governor could appoint an interim Senator. Doesn't get much more blatantly political and "change the rules when we are in charge" than that.

Rob Leatham
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 21:38:30 -0700, Mark & Juanita wrote:

Nothing ever changes. John Adams signed the Alien and Sedition Act. It expired automatically when he left office so nobody could use it against his party :-).

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Just goes to show. John Adams was not born in the United States and (like another president who shall remain nameless) ties to foster un-American ideas on us.
HeyBub wrote:

Uh, neither was George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, James Madison, James Monroe, John Quincy Adams (different guy from John Adams), or Andrew Jackson.
On Sat, 29 Aug 2009 14:43:59 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Depending on how you count it, either Harrison or Taylor was the first and, until recently, every one since has been.

Yes, and most leftist loons don't know that George Walker Bush is a different guy than George Herbert Walker Bush.

He's a different guy too.

Yes, that is correct. They did not want Romney to be able to appoint a republican senator if Kerry gave up his seat for the Presidency. They felt (correctly) that the people should decide, not the governor. Now, they don't want the people to decide, they want the Democratic governor, good friend of Obama, to make that decision. Politics at it worst.
If anyone things appointment is the proper way, perhaps we should abandon elections and have a king rule the country.
[...]

FWIW, appointment is the method specified by the Constitution (see Article I Sections 2 and 3, and Amendment XVII). There does not appear to be any authority under the Constitution for a state to fill a vacancy *solely* by special election -- the closest it comes is a temporary appointment valid until such election is held.
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Well, we do have Queen on the Finance Committee - that's a start.
Lew Hodgett wrote:

We'll be digging out from his insanities for far long than that. It's possible we'll never recover.