OT: Edward

Page 4 of 7
HeyBub wrote:

Are you volunteering to be the first man across the border in the invasion of Pakistan?

It's ok that you think in such a short term manner. You aren't responsible for or in charge of anything significant. It's when our national leaders think that way that national security is undermined. After listening to you, I'm convinced we need to seriously overhaul the education system.
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Or find a blanket and a 2x4.

HeyBub wrote:

So when are you planning to volunteer?

He'll be right behind Mr. Dick "I have something better to do" Cheney.
DGDevin wrote:

They won't have me - I'm too old and decrepit.
Besides, I wouldn't want to deprive some youngster of the adventure.
HeyBub wrote:

Nonsense, there have been news stories about broken-down old reservists being called up because of some specialized skill they possess. You could run a wood-working school in Afghanistan, make a contribution to rebuilding the country, and you don't want the terrorists to win, do you? What are you waiting for? Surely a little "adventure" doesn't scare a guy like you.
DGDevin wrote:

Time for a reality check. On the day we all watched the statue of Saddam come down, a sixtyish duffer with communications (ham radio and military), computer, operations management, and some Arabic language skills (and, yes, some rudimentary woodworking skills, a valid passport, and an [outdated] TS clearance) started working his way up the Army chain of command to volunteer (without compensation, and with a liability waiver) in-theater ombudsman/liaison services to help the Iraqis get schools and essential services back up and running.
That duffer wasn't keen on sleeping on the ground and bathing in the river, but believed that a very small number (even just one!) of such volunteers could make a very big difference in how things would play out for everyone. The military types agreed, and each opened the lines of communication to the next link up the chain of command. It only took two days to get high enough up the chain to be referred to USAID (who had overallresponsibility for the post-invasion recovery effort)...
...and who have yet to respond (no longer surprising after experiencing the rejection of volunteer communication services after Katrina) with even a "Get lost".
It does boggle my mind that not even the capital city has 24/7 electrical power - still.
I find your smug sarcasm inappropriate, but I'm willing to ship at least an occasional gallon of Titebond to /your/ woodworking school anywhere in Afghanistan.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Would you say the same thing if the school was in Gaza?

David Nebenzahl wrote:

If /you/ are teaching woodworking in Gaza, you're invited to e-mail your shipping address and whatever else I need to know to get it there.
And if you're aware of anyone who might be interested in helping develop solar-powered irrigation pumps for local production and use anywhere in that entire region, I'll appreciate if you include their contact information in your e-mail.
see: http://www.iedu.com/DeSoto/Projects/Stirling/Elsewhere /
Not yet on that page, but (hopefully) soon, is "Team Sudan".
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
DGDevin wrote:

That's a good idea, but my sense of "adventure" was killing people and blowing things up, and I'm not uniquely skilled at that. I have no interest in teaching Afghanis not to stick their fingers in the saw.
I don't CARE whether the terrorists win. I'm only interested in killing them! Actually, when the terrorists come out ahead, there's simply more of them to kill! To the degree that my interests overlap with the perceived common good, well, that's a plus I suppose. But don't get the two goals confused.
Too, I'm all for leaving a breeding-stock of terrorists so we'll have something to kill for generations to come. This demonstrates my compassionate side.
HeyBub wrote:

Have you seen the movie Charlie Wilson's War? Part of the reason the Taliban came to power in Afghanistan was America was willing to spend billions turning Afghanistan into the USSR's Vietnam, but ran out of interest when it was time to rebuild the country after the Soviets pulled out. So in comes the Taliban, and they host Al Qaida, and on Sept. 11, 2001 we all discovered what happens when you let a nation like Afghanistan become a haven for terrorists.

You're a funny guy, you could do a stand-up comedy act. Why not try out this hilarious routine down at a VA hospital, I bet those guy who left arms and legs in Iraq and Afghanistan would get a real kick out of it.
Gordon Shumway wrote:

When you're willing to explain to the families of the 4,000+ young Americans who have died in Iraq that statistically their sons and brothers and fathers died at a below average rate, raise your hand.
Oh, and if you want to give the impression that there is some slight chance of you knowing what you're talking about then avoiding quoting WND would be a good idea. Of course if you're one of those people who believes WND's current headline story that the Obama administration might be preparing to seize total power overnight, well never mind.
DGDevin wrote:

No amount of explaining to the parents of the dead will suffice or assuage their bereavement.
Still, the military dead in Iraq were volunteers and willingly accepted the risks, much the same as a race-car driver, a mountain climber, or a sky diver. To them, the slim chance of death or disability was a small risk for the opportunity to kill people and blow things up.
Eighty-five percent of service personnel who have served in Iraq or Afghanistan have re-enlisted at the first opportunity. The remaining 15% retired, were invalided out, or married harridans.
RE: Subject
It has been said that whiskey was invented so the Irish would not rule the world.
The man tried to prove it, at least for a while.
In the process, he left quite a legacy that benefits us all.
Lew

The riches of the Kennedy family come from whiskey.
Are you sure Mary Jo wasn't driving?
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 11:43:14 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

Nobody knows that for sure. With Teddy's death the last one who could have known is gone. There were no other living witnesses.
On Wed, 26 Aug 2009 20:31:13 -0500, Tim Daneliuk wrote:

Sheesh! My plonk must have expired. Ayatollah Daneliuk is back. I'll have to fix that.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

If you will provide me your mail address via email, I shall send you high density foam earplugs and an eye mask so that you'll never have to hear or see anything that conflicts with your dearly held beliefs.