OT: Edward

Page 3 of 7
Robatoy wrote:

I was wrong.
In my defense, the 17-year-old Mexican girl I hired to do the housework was under my desk at the time, trying to pull down my trousers, and I got distracted.

There's dust in your trousers?

Saw dust?
Upscale wrote:

My gift to the benighted. I was teaching her to pull back the foreskin of science.

A minor draw-back at best?
wrote in message

I'm sure all she found was the smegma of smugness.
HeyBub wrote:

As Robatoy already pointed out, I'm afraid your correction is incorrect. And I believe "A Fly" was being sarcastic and trying to make a point by his incorrect use of "they're" and other misplaced punctuation, to which you and Jack both fell victim. But what I would like to know is whether or not "fuck-nozzle" should be hyphenated; about that I'm not sure...

In another group that I follow one moron uses apostrophes EVERYWHERE, and I finally told him one day that if he were to just stop using them, at all, EVER, he would be correct more often than he currently was. I think he responded with some apostrophe laden insult and continued to utterly ignore my advice. Oh well. :-)
Steve Turner wrote:

I think it depends on whether you're using it as a proper noun, a common noun, a countable noun, or a collective noun. Then again, in certain circumstances, it might also be a verb.

You know a thread has a chance of finally dying when people start correcting grammar and punctuation.

Wow! An apostrophe pissing contest. It's ok to piss on apostrophes.
nb
notbob wrote:

Actually in this case it would have been a hyphen pissing contest but your assessment remains valid :)
DGDevin wrote:

Are you saying that's a bad thing?
This is a woodworking group - you should know you can't build a house without making sawdust.

Are you saying it's a good thing?

Sure, you need to make sawdust to build a house. You should have a right to build the house (or a request from those who own the property) before you start making the sawdust, though. Bush and Cheney had neither.
Ed

Coupla questions for you, Ed, mostly just food for thought.
Do you believe that nations have an obligation to comply with the treaties they sign?
Do you believe that nations have an obligation to comply with resolutions of the U.N. Security Council?
Do you believe that if a nation fails to do so, it should be compelled to?
Finally, what value does a resolution of the U.N. Security Council have, if there is no means of enforcing it?

Yes.
Yes. But only if the resolutions are based on factual and not trumped up falsified data. And, passage of the resolution should not be forced through as a result of backroom threats by a large bullying country.

See above.
None of this has much of anything to do with the death of Mr. Kennedy. He was a man who did a lot of good for this country, regardless of his personal life.
When either Bush or Cheney dies, I doubt I'll have the same opinion of their contributions.
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

We'll see. It's entirely possible that both Bush and Cheney will pass from this mortal coil much like Enoch, the only person in the Bible that did not die.
------- "Enoch walked with God; then he was no more, for God took him." (Gen 5:24)
On Thu, 27 Aug 2009 12:59:26 -0400, "Ed Edelenbos"

And both republican and democratic politicians , on the whole, respected him in his politics. His personal life was not particularly exemplary - but he stood up well under extreme adversity.
As drunks go, he did very well.
Doug Miller wrote:

That Saddam was a vicious bastard responsible for millions of deaths, that he had tried in the past to acquire WMDs, that he had attacked his neighbors and would have done so again if he had been able, that he was dangerous and had to be confined and prevented from becoming a threat again--all these are undeniable. But at the time of the invasion he didn't have the WMDs the White House claimed he had, and he had no means to acquire them in the immediate future. His military was a broken remnant of its former strength, coalition aircraft patrolled his skies and bombed targets at will, his economy was in shambles, he was no immediate threat to America or anyone else.
If Saddam violating UN resolutions was justification for invading Iraq, then why was it necessary to rely on horribly flawed intelligence to buttress the case against him? Why did Colin Powell present the UN with evidence that turned out to be fantasy, some of which the U.S. had already been warned was untrustworthy?
The invasion was something the administration wanted to do, they thought they were going to remake the political map of the middle-east and change the course of history by installing a secular democracy in a region not known for enlightened government. They eagerly accepted whatever supported that policy regardless of how flimsy the evidence was; they ignored or ridiculed anyone or anything that didn't support what they wanted to do. Remember when Gen. Shinseki told a Senate committee that several hundred thousand troops would be needed to occupy Iraq in part because of the ethnic divisions in the country, remember how Rumsfeld and Wolfowitz reacted to that? They didn't want to hear it, according to them the invaders would be greeted as liberators and the occupation would pay for itself--remember? They were grossly, horribly wrong, and thousands of young Americans have paid with their lives for that incompetence.
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Certainly. Here are some reasons you may not have heard emphasized:
* We need a war every decade or so to keep the tip of the spear sharp. Who would ever enlist otherwise? I mean, who would become a firefighter if there were never any fires? Sure, you hear reasons for joining the military: job security, educational benefits, retirement goodies, and so on. These are just PC sops. Most people join up so they can kill others. It's what our warrior class is supposed to do.
* Deterrence. Consider old Sadaam: We invaded his country, confiscated his fortunes, evicted him from his homes, imprisoned his friends, exiled his family, killed his children, and, ultimately had his skanky ass hanged. I suggest such actions have SOME sobering effect on despots similarily inclined.
* Oil. We (cleverly) don't get any oil from Iraq. Oil, however, is fungible. Whatever Iraqi oil gets sold to France lowers the price of the oil we buy from Nigeria.
* Experience: I don't think there's a member of the military in a leadership role - from sergeant to 4-Star general - who hasn't led troops in combat. You can't BUY they level of expertise.

The United States IS the world's policeman and the president IS the top cop. One may not like the role or feel it was achieved improperly, but it is what it is. We, in general, write the rules then we enforce them. Again, it is what it is.

That's just the sort of thinking that brought down the Soviets. It's working well on us, too.
You're proof we'd all better worry.
Ed
Ed Edelenbos wrote:

Maybe. But the evidence is it's not US who should worry - it's the pissants who think they can fark with us.