OT Education

The requirements of the Texas State Board of education dominated text book publishing, so in some view the demanded rewrite US history. Now to be fair the California requirements were just as much of a PIA. The volume of text books, made those two states "needs" paramount.

Reply to
Markem

All at the same time?

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

So when you say that they dominated the text book publishing, and it could viewed that it was demanded ma rewrite of US history, it could be viewed that they demanded that the textbooks actually be rewritten using actual facts.

In the past 20~30 years it there have been countless media coverages showing absurdly incorrect information in some text books being used.

So I can see how they would want to be quite strict about what is being taught.

Reply to
Leon

Yes, but do we want those little minds exposed to the real lives of our founding fathers?

Just as an example, Washington offered to run the army for no salary, just expenses. Then he padded his expense account to the extent that when he made the same offer for the presidency, congress said thanks, but no thanks, we'll pay you a salary!

And that painting of him praying in the snow? Leaving aside George's ability to deflect any queries about his beliefs, the aforementioned expense account for the winter in Valley Forge makes it clear that although the troops might be in a pickle, old George was living high on the hog.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

You've got to be kidding - I have nothing but sympathy for any man with multiple wives :-). Might have been bearable back when wives were property, or in some Islamic countries today, but not in the good old USA.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Just keep whistling past the graveyard, Leon. After all you and I will be dead when it comes time to pay the piper :-).

And once we reach that level will we rely on the

How many years ago was it that most people smoked? A combination of changing public opinion and increasing taxes made quite a difference.

And I see nothing wrong with limiting the number of children and then requiring that any man who'd reached the limit have a vasectomy. And with DNA testing there'd be no doubt who the father was.

And before you ask, yes I did.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

But there are thousands, non-Moslems, in the good old USA who do. Besides having sympathy, do you have a real problem with people who choose to practice polygamy? Q: What is the penalty for polygamy? A: Two mothers-in-law. :)

Reply to
Just Wondering

"Sw> Cite?

-------------------------------- Knock yourself out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

There are several (~10, IIRC) university presidents >$1M/yr, and many more coaches. Sports is a money maker for many schools, though. I guess presidents are too. Their job is to lobby legislatures and alma mater for more cash.

Reply to
krw

If it is the truth, yes.

Just as an example, some of the Textbooks in question mentioned the Alamo being in Dallas, or was that Houston. This is why the requirements appear to be more stringent.

And if that is the truth it should be known.

Reply to
Leon

So I take it you like the idea of government telling you how to think.

Reply to
Leon

C'mon, Lew. Repetition of the same headline, none of which upon examination provide a single example of your statement confirming an actual "rewrite of early US history", does not constitute a "Cite" by any definition of the word.

Although asking a liberal to provide facts instead of feelings might be a bit too much to ask, you did make the statement, so _you_ provide an actual example of this supposed "rewrite of early US history", and not some list of search engine term results, or your statement will stand as what it appears to be: partisan twaddle.

Reply to
Swingman

The sorry state of public education is much deeper than the sorry spectacle of partisan, and religious, politics in matters regarding textbooks in almost all states, but it is indeed a contributing factor.

That said, the terminology, like the word "adopt", always used by those with an agenda, suggests that a book is mandated for use, instead of being "approved for local option".

You see this in screaming headlines like "Texas Adopts "Fearson's Biology" For Use In High Schools", while the reality is that this (POS, in my opinion) book is merely included on a list of biology books "approved" for "local option" by those backward districts who chose to do so (it's a free, if stupid, country, right?) ... far different reality than what those who write the headlines want you to believe.

Reply to
Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:1388982615423739862.166231kac-nospam.com@216.196.97.131:

"Class, open your browsers to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur I know it's not the best resource, but it's better than the text book. (Who edited the article to put my picture in it?)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper