OT Education

Page 2 of 2

My wife worked for Scott Foresman, and Texas's requirements for text books drove the industry nuts.
On 6/5/2014 8:50 AM, Markem wrote:

Yep, long time Texan's, who didn't just move here in the last 20 years, are independent and don't put up with a whole lot of bullshit.
For instance, when the textbook sellers tried to sneak in a book with the phrase:
“The people have the right to keep and bear arms in a state militia.”
... presented as a summation (totally erroneous) of the 2nd Amendment in a proposed text book last year, they do tend to get their Levi's in bunch.
Let's address the question ... a cite where Texas' State Board of Education was engaging in a "rewrite of early US history"?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 19:36:27 -0500, Leon wrote:

The ideal number is replacement level.
And while my having children is several decades in the past, I see no reason why one has to be licensed to drive a car, carry a gun, etc., but not to have children.
And I did practice what I preach - 2 wives and 3 children - that's one for one :-).
On 6/5/2014 11:20 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Hummmmm. Replacement level at what particular point? today, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 100 years ago, maybe we have not reached the ideal population number yet. And once we reach that level will we rely on the government to enforce that number? Will we toss the new born or dispose of one of the parents?
On 6/5/2014 12:20 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

All at the same time?

The requirements of the Texas State Board of education dominated text book publishing, so in some view the demanded rewrite US history. Now to be fair the California requirements were just as much of a PIA. The volume of text books, made those two states "needs" paramount.
On 6/5/2014 4:31 PM, Markem wrote:

So when you say that they dominated the text book publishing, and it could viewed that it was demanded ma rewrite of US history, it could be viewed that they demanded that the textbooks actually be rewritten using actual facts.
In the past 20~30 years it there have been countless media coverages showing absurdly incorrect information in some text books being used.
So I can see how they would want to be quite strict about what is being taught.
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 17:20:17 -0500, Leon wrote:

Yes, but do we want those little minds exposed to the real lives of our founding fathers?
Just as an example, Washington offered to run the army for no salary, just expenses. Then he padded his expense account to the extent that when he made the same offer for the presidency, congress said thanks, but no thanks, we'll pay you a salary!
And that painting of him praying in the snow? Leaving aside George's ability to deflect any queries about his beliefs, the aforementioned expense account for the winter in Valley Forge makes it clear that although the troops might be in a pickle, old George was living high on the hog.
On 6/5/2014 6:51 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

If it is the truth, yes.

Just as an example, some of the Textbooks in question mentioned the Alamo being in Dallas, or was that Houston. This is why the requirements appear to be more stringent.

And if that is the truth it should be known.
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 17:58:41 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You've got to be kidding - I have nothing but sympathy for any man with multiple wives :-). Might have been bearable back when wives were property, or in some Islamic countries today, but not in the good old USA.
On 6/5/2014 5:54 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

But there are thousands, non-Moslems, in the good old USA who do. Besides having sympathy, do you have a real problem with people who choose to practice polygamy? Q: What is the penalty for polygamy? A: Two mothers-in-law. :)
On Thu, 05 Jun 2014 12:06:05 -0500, Leon wrote:

Just keep whistling past the graveyard, Leon. After all you and I will be dead when it comes time to pay the piper :-).
And once we reach that level will we rely on the

How many years ago was it that most people smoked? A combination of changing public opinion and increasing taxes made quite a difference.
And I see nothing wrong with limiting the number of children and then requiring that any man who'd reached the limit have a vasectomy. And with DNA testing there'd be no doubt who the father was.
And before you ask, yes I did.
On 6/5/2014 7:01 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

So I take it you like the idea of government telling you how to think.

There are several (~10, IIRC) university presidents >$1M/yr, and many more coaches. Sports is a money maker for many schools, though. I guess presidents are too. Their job is to lobby legislatures and alma mater for more cash.