OT Education

Page 1 of 2
This couple, high school sweet hearts, with 10 kids should be put in charge of our education system. Dump the system and start over with what ever methods they are using.
Spoiler alert, 7 of their 10 kids were in college by age 12.
https://shine.yahoo.com/experts/how-we-got-our-kids-into-college-by-age-12-175102493.html

Sounds like self-education is a big part of their success. Plus, they picked up on interests and encouraged them. That makes education easy.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 6/4/2014 2:43 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I think the key issue is that the parents are doing what a majority of parents are not doing, taking an active role in their children's education way beyond simply sitting back and complaining.
And helping develop the kids interests instead of being a baby sitter and throttling back to the lowest common denominator.
We are getting out of our teachers what we are paying them.
On 6/4/2014 6:41 PM, Leon wrote:

Huh? Teachers in my area get a pretty decent check. Some into 6 figures.
On 6/4/2014 9:33 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

They don't make 6 figures here in NJ.
The admins make very high numbers, into 6 figures. The superintendents make ridiculous numbers.
But most teachers are in medium income here.
--
Jeff

Oh, no. How dare they keep their children out of the public school system? If their methods begin to spread and grow it could mean the beginning of the collapse of the teacher's union, the unemployment of the school board members that squander inflated school budgets every year and the realization that many at the Department of Education are no longer needed. Maybe even the realization that the Department of Education itself isn't needed.
Remember, it's for the children.
On Wed, 04 Jun 2014 12:37:17 -0500, Leon wrote:

I certainly wouldn't put them in charge of Zero Population Growth :-).
And to quote them: "We believe in a Christian worldview and creation. We believe that there is scientific evidence that supports intelligent design."
So I doubt any of those kids are going into evolutionary genetics :-).
Yes, the public schools leave a lot to be desired. But every time I see "home schooled" I think of the Kansas school board and their elimination of evolution from the curriculum.
How "educated" is someone who lets their beliefs override scientific theories backed up by evidence?
Now where did I put that flameproof suit ???
On 6/4/2014 6:05 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Well you have a point but who is to say what the ideal number would be and would you want someone telling you how many children to have.

Is that a field, with concern to humans?

I am not a fan of the home schooled idea but it beats the heck out of what we have now. As far as the elimination of evolution from the curriculum, perhaps they don't see the need for it, like sports, religion, arts, common sense.

Like the people that believe that global warming is controllable?

Over there ----> ;~)
And to quote them: "We believe in a Christian worldview and

--------------------------------------------------- "Larry Blanchard" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------- And then there is the Texas state board of education and their rewrite of early US history.
Lew
On 6/4/2014 10:11 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Cite?
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Swingman" wrote:

-------------------------------- Knock yourself out.
http://tinyurl.com/nfezkea
Lew

C'mon, Lew. Repetition of the same headline, none of which upon examination provide a single example of your statement confirming an actual "rewrite of early US history", does not constitute a "Cite" by any definition of the word.
Although asking a liberal to provide facts instead of feelings might be a bit too much to ask, you did make the statement, so _you_ provide an actual example of this supposed "rewrite of early US history", and not some list of search engine term results, or your statement will stand as what it appears to be: partisan twaddle.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

The sorry state of public education is much deeper than the sorry spectacle of partisan, and religious, politics in matters regarding textbooks in almost all states, but it is indeed a contributing factor.
That said, the terminology, like the word "adopt", always used by those with an agenda, suggests that a book is mandated for use, instead of being "approved for local option".
You see this in screaming headlines like "Texas Adopts "Fearson's Biology" For Use In High Schools", while the reality is that this (POS, in my opinion) book is merely included on a list of biology books "approved" for "local option" by those backward districts who chose to do so (it's a free, if stupid, country, right?) ... far different reality than what those who write the headlines want you to believe.
--
www.ewoodshop.com (Mobile)

"Class, open your browsers to en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dinosaur I know it's not the best resource, but it's better than the text book. (Who edited the article to put my picture in it?)
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

With defined benefit retirements approaching 100% of *high* salary, in many cases.

Most don't have 30 years experience, sure. However, six-figure teacher's salaries do exist.
Atlantic City High School <name deleted> 27 years $103,816 Math Non-Elementary teaches 5 classes
That was just a random sample.
http://php.app.com/edstaff/search.php
Leon wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- Might want to check your data.
Top management often get $200K-$500K; however vested class room teachers are usually well below the $100K level.
Even had a super in SoCal who had a 7 digit contract which generated some interesting dialog when it surfaced.
Lew
On 6/4/2014 10:07 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

Any law on the subject, at any level of government, should end with following provision:
"Anything contained herein to contrary notwithstanding, no elected or appointed official, in any legislature, administrative, management and/or regulatory branch, shall receive more in the sum of all salary, payments and/or benefits, than the lowest paid Public School, classroom teacher."
Or words to that effect ...
--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net
On 6/5/2014 8:01 AM, Swingman wrote:

I assume you are including sports coaches in that group. Should apply to college professors too. The newspaper had a listing of UCONN salaries and some consultant saying they should get an additional 15% to remain competitive with other schools. Some administrators were well above 200k.
Make that "tenured", not vested.