OT Education

This couple, high school sweet hearts, with 10 kids should be put in charge of our education system. Dump the system and start over with what ever methods they are using.

Spoiler alert, 7 of their 10 kids were in college by age 12.

Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Sounds like self-education is a big part of their success. Plus, they picked up on interests and encouraged them. That makes education easy.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Oh, no. How dare they keep their children out of the public school system? If their methods begin to spread and grow it could mean the beginning of the collapse of the teacher's union, the unemployment of the school board members that squander inflated school budgets every year and the realization that many at the Department of Education are no longer needed. Maybe even the realization that the Department of Education itself isn't needed.

Remember, it's for the children.

Reply to
Gordon Shumway

I think the key issue is that the parents are doing what a majority of parents are not doing, taking an active role in their children's education way beyond simply sitting back and complaining.

And helping develop the kids interests instead of being a baby sitter and throttling back to the lowest common denominator.

We are getting out of our teachers what we are paying them.

Reply to
Leon

I certainly wouldn't put them in charge of Zero Population Growth :-).

And to quote them: "We believe in a Christian worldview and creation. We believe that there is scientific evidence that supports intelligent design."

So I doubt any of those kids are going into evolutionary genetics :-).

Yes, the public schools leave a lot to be desired. But every time I see "home schooled" I think of the Kansas school board and their elimination of evolution from the curriculum.

How "educated" is someone who lets their beliefs override scientific theories backed up by evidence?

Now where did I put that flameproof suit ???

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Well you have a point but who is to say what the ideal number would be and would you want someone telling you how many children to have.

Is that a field, with concern to humans?

I am not a fan of the home schooled idea but it beats the heck out of what we have now. As far as the elimination of evolution from the curriculum, perhaps they don't see the need for it, like sports, religion, arts, common sense.

Like the people that believe that global warming is controllable?

Over there ----> ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Huh? Teachers in my area get a pretty decent check. Some into 6 figures.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

With defined benefit retirements approaching 100% of *high* salary, in many cases.

Reply to
krw

They don't make 6 figures here in NJ.

The admins make very high numbers, into 6 figures. The superintendents make ridiculous numbers.

But most teachers are in medium income here.

Reply to
woodchucker

Most don't have 30 years experience, sure. However, six-figure teacher's salaries do exist.

Atlantic City High School 27 years $103,816 Math Non-Elementary teaches 5 classes

That was just a random sample.

krw

--------------------------------------------------------- "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:

--------------------------------------------------------- Might want to check your data.

Top management often get $200K-$500K; however vested class room teachers are usually well below the $100K level.

Even had a super in SoCal who had a 7 digit contract which generated some interesting dialog when it surfaced.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And to quote them: "We believe in a Christian worldview and

--------------------------------------------------- "Larry Blanchard" wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------------------- And then there is the Texas state board of education and their rewrite of early US history.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Make that "tenured", not vested.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Cite?

Reply to
Swingman

Any law on the subject, at any level of government, should end with following provision:

"Anything contained herein to contrary notwithstanding, no elected or appointed official, in any legislature, administrative, management and/or regulatory branch, shall receive more in the sum of all salary, payments and/or benefits, than the lowest paid Public School, classroom teacher."

Or words to that effect ...

Reply to
Swingman

I assume you are including sports coaches in that group. Should apply to college professors too. The newspaper had a listing of UCONN salaries and some consultant saying they should get an additional 15% to remain competitive with other schools. Some administrators were well above 200k.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My wife worked for Scott Foresman, and Texas's requirements for text books drove the industry nuts.

Reply to
Markem

The ideal number is replacement level.

And while my having children is several decades in the past, I see no reason why one has to be licensed to drive a car, carry a gun, etc., but not to have children.

And I did practice what I preach - 2 wives and 3 children - that's one for one :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Hummmmm. Replacement level at what particular point? today, 10 years ago, 20 years ago, 100 years ago, maybe we have not reached the ideal population number yet. And once we reach that level will we rely on the government to enforce that number? Will we toss the new born or dispose of one of the parents?

Reply to
Leon

Yep, long time Texan's, who didn't just move here in the last 20 years, are independent and don't put up with a whole lot of bullshit.

For instance, when the textbook sellers tried to sneak in a book with the phrase:

?The people have the right to keep and bear arms in a state militia.?

... presented as a summation (totally erroneous) of the 2nd Amendment in a proposed text book last year, they do tend to get their Levi's in bunch.

Let's address the question ... a cite where Texas' State Board of Education was engaging in a "rewrite of early US history"?

Reply to
Swingman