OT: Duck

Page 3 of 3
Just be thankful they didn't teach it to say "Here kitty kitty"

What does a two-hundred-pound mouse say?

Hey Basilisk (That's a lizard, ain't it?), Woodducks squeak and whistle a lot. Sometimes they "sing " along when they hear high pitched singing. Tee Nee squeaks in time to opera singers but the funniest thing was when he was keeping time with a James Brown song.
marc rosen wrote:

marc
Look here for a full description of basilisk: http://www.pantheon.org/articles/b/basilisk.html
Not sure what this says about me.
I once had a pet muscovy, they have a lot of character, SWMBO objected to it attacking the kids, so it had to go.
We have thinned the zoo down some, got rid of all the poisonous snakes (lost my nerve for handling them) and all the lizards. We do animal rescue, but at the moment all the possums, coons and deer are grown and gone.
basilisk
basilisk wrote:
... snip

ah, memories of mis-spent youth playing D&D.

Me too -- long shovel and 22 caliber shotshells are good for that.

Oh, you kept them as pets? Yikes! /alright, wise-@$$ mode off

Lizards, OTOH, I like. Have always been fascinated by them and their astounding ability to move fast.

Very neat pursuit. Good onya

Mark & Juanita wrote:

I only wish animal rescue was as great as it appears, it is very hard to raise a wild animal and keep it self sufficient enough to return to the wild. Coons are easy, they are very adaptable and learn to get by own their own, deer become pets and they resist leaving. It is interesting to see the look on visitors faces when a deer walks out of the woods and sniffs them over. Then there is the financial aspect, here when you accept the job it doesn't come with any support, the game wardens will drop off an animal and you are own your own. Sometimes we are successful and it makes it worth doing.
basilisk
basilisk wrote:

I am glad you are succesful at least part of the time. Critters need all the help they can get and I applaud your efforts to do so.
At the moment I need to get rid of a coyote. I could call a trapper but they generally euthanize the animals and I'd prefer not to do that. Any ideas?
--

dadiOH
____________________________

start dropping chunks of raw meat in the next development.
generally, in my area, they don't hang out where there's no food, or food substitutes.
regards, charlie cave creek, az

I have bad news for you: that's the only way to get rid of coyotes.

You might find this interesting. http://www.dailycoyote.net /
Jerry
A Lurker wrote:

I did. Thank you. And it explains why I don't want our resident coyote killed.
Actually, if it weren't for our resident ducks I wouldn't mind the coyote at all. There are tons of voles, mice, rats as well as other small animals. Wild pigs too. Unfortunately, I suspect the coyote would welcome a meal of duck and the ducks already have a hard enough life. Especially from raptors.
--

dadiOH