OT: Duck

Many times.

Used to raise them.

Much less greasy than a Pekin.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Countertop?! Don't give me any lip! (Cutting edge humor!)

Reply to
Maxwell Lol

I am glad you are succesful at least part of the time. Critters need all the help they can get and I applaud your efforts to do so.

At the moment I need to get rid of a coyote. I could call a trapper but they generally euthanize the animals and I'd prefer not to do that. Any ideas?

Reply to
dadiOH

start dropping chunks of raw meat in the next development.

generally, in my area, they don't hang out where there's no food, or food substitutes.

regards, charlie cave creek, az

Reply to
charlie

I have bad news for you: that's the only way to get rid of coyotes.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Don't sink so low. Next you'll accuse me of tap dancing.

Reply to
Robatoy

You might find this interesting.

A Lurker

Some Muscovies beat up on people too - they're much more aggressive / territorial than other ducks.

-P.

Reply to
Peter Huebner

I can't say I have found that to be the case. We've had Muscovies around for the last 4-5 years and - IMO - they play nice both with each other and other birds. They are very social, greeting each other affectionately by bobbing their heads and wagging their tails; they don't do that with other bird species (moor hens, mottled ducks) but they don't bother them either.

Of the 12-13 Muscovies around, all but one are wild birds. The odd ball - Elby - was the progeny of wild birds but raised by us (along with sister Bo) because they hatched late and mom and siblings had already left the nest. Bo left to make a life for herself when she was seven months old but Elby stayed. (Bo came back to visit a few times 14 months after she left).

Both Bo and Elby were very affectionate as they were growing up. Yes, they bit sometimes but it was more an affectionate or exploratory nibble than an agressive bite...gotta remember, ducks have no hands so the only tactile contact they have with things is via beak. Muscovies' upper beaks have sort of a downward hook so even an affectionate bite can bruise, that from a full grown male could take out a chunk if he was pissed at you; however, it isn't hard to avoid those nibbles.

The only problem time was when Elby was about 4 months old and testosterone - or duck equivalent - kicked in. Muscovies don't really have sex, they have rape...the male grabs the object of his affection behind the neck, forces her down and has his way with her. They often jump in the water afterward to bathe. Well, I was Elby's "object of affection" initially. He couldn't reach my neck so went for my feet. Easy solution - wear boots, long trousers and let him try. He soon decided it was a lost cause. With me. He then decided my wife was fair game. She was a bit intimidated - a full grown Muscovy male is about the size of an eagle - but coped.

About a year ago a lady duck - "Pretty Girl" by name - showed up and Elby decided she was more worthy of his affections than my wife. In fact, *four* lady ducks (including PG) showed up so Elby was a happy camper for several months. PG nested in some ferns in our courtyard and raised her three babies there; the other ladies nested further away but brought their (few) surviving babies back when the babies were half-full grown. During that time, the ladies aren't interested in the males so Elby spent much of the day in my shop with me...he would play with wood offcuts and nap, wander around and investigate stuff by nibbling on it. Loves to be petted, almost coos. If he was a cat he would purr.

During this sexual off season, Elby comes to the back door at sunset, asks to come in and spends the night on the screen porch in a little "duck house" I made; at dawn he wants out and spends the day browsing and in my shop. When the lady ducks are receptive he stays out 24/7. Pretty Girl is making eyes at him now so I suspect there will be more babies this summer. Last summer's are still here but I imagine they will be leaving in a couple of months.

In short, I find Muscovy ducks affectionate and intelligent. So much so that I gave up eating duck. I will admit that our dog, Lila is KOS (kill on sight) with Elby...he is jealous of her.

Reply to
dadiOH

:)

My nym is the computer speak version for hip speak daddy'o.

Reply to
dadiOH

I did. Thank you. And it explains why I don't want our resident coyote killed.

Actually, if it weren't for our resident ducks I wouldn't mind the coyote at all. There are tons of voles, mice, rats as well as other small animals. Wild pigs too. Unfortunately, I suspect the coyote would welcome a meal of duck and the ducks already have a hard enough life. Especially from raptors.

Reply to
dadiOH