OT: DST

Page 3 of 8

How have things improved in Indiana since? Local stores still close around 5:00 in Ft Wayne? (So I may be exaggerating, but almost every non-big box store I wanted to go to seemed like they closed around supper time.) Staying open into the evening hours would help the economic situation, not DST.
As a former Indiana resident, I think DST/non-DST balances out when you've got friends and family in Illinois. As much hassle as you're saved by not changing the clock is balanced out by their not being sure what time, exactly, it is. (They're only off by an hour, so it's usually not that big of deal.)
Puckdropper
marching band.
Puckdropper wrote:

Kind of funny when you think about it. If it was such a big deal that Indiana all be on the same time (so Indiana knew what time it was), why not go the other way and eliminate DST altogether instead of making everybody adopt it? Think of the increase in productivity the first several days of the time change if people weren't having their body clocks messed with.

That's exactly what we had for 35 years. It was called EST but it was really CDT since we're physically in what should be the Central time zone. I thought it was a great compromise.
Years ago, Indiana was all on the same time. The whole state was in the Central time zone. Then 'they' decided we should be in the Eastern time zone, even though the actual geographic boundary by longitude is 20 miles east of Columbus, Ohio. But the people in the Indiana counties near Chicago obviously wanted to be on Chicago time. So the state became divided, and has been to varying degrees ever since. Since we adopted DST, several counties have asked to change time zones, some changed and then changed back. I used to know what time it was anywhere in Indiana, now I don't. And supposedly everybody now knows what time it is in Indiana. It's pathetic. Lots of people are excited about the daylight we're 'saving'. I've decided to call it MDST - Morning Dark Saving Time.
Roger Grady snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.qlfit.net To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

I like DST. I'm close to the front edge of a time zone though. I'd rather have my light at the end of the day, not the beginning. There is no sensible reason to have daylight at 4 AM in the summer; even 5 AM is too soon. I'd like to see us on DST all the time.
There is a group trying to get New England put in the Atlantic Time Zone.
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Instead of monkeying with the clocks, just GET UP EARLIER IF YOU WANT TO. Geez, like we need politicians to tell us when to get out of bed in the morning.

--John

Not that simple. I can get up any time I want to, but the rest of the world I deal with is still asleep and out of sync. There is no benefit for me to show up at work an hour before everyone else. Or arrive at a store an hour before they open.
DST forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I always used to get to work an hour or more before everyone else. It was my most productive time of the day - no interruptions!
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Now let me get this straight, it's important to you that there be sunlight so that you can do things indoors?
--John

Not everything is indoors. I like to take a walk after dinner. In warm weather, we cook and eat outdoors and prefer light over dark. I prefer driving home in the light. In fact, this winter I left work an hour earlier than usual just so I could do that.
While it is not so easy for me to take advantage just getting up earlier as you suggested, why don't you just sleep an hour later?
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

As long as I don't have to monkey with clocks four times a year that would be fine.
--John
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 22:41:08 -0400, "J. Clarke"

Why do you do it four times a year?
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

Resetting the clocks that are programmed to reset themselves for daylight savings time on the old dates and that do not have any way to alter the programming.
--John
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 08:21:23 -0400, "J. Clarke"

That's the fault of the equipment, not the DST concept. And, by the way, year around DST would solve that altogether.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite
LRod wrote:

No, that's the fault of the Congress for changing the dates without considering the consequences.

And I have no objection to that at all. So think that it can be sold to the Congress?
--John

Oh come on now, you can't kick a dead horse when he is down, every one knows tha congress N E V E R considers the consequences. When something naturally happens and is naturally expected, fault cannot be cast in that direction. ;~)

I don't care which way it goes, but I wish they'd leave it the hell alone. Set it and forget it. The modern house has too damned many clocks and time keeping devices to make the change to DST, or the change back, anything other than a royal PITA. I quit setting my shop clock after the last power blink...so now the clock blinks at me all the time, but it doesn't bother me with DST/EST or similar nonsense.
In today's world, there's no reason to favor one over the other. Just do it and leave it.

Hear, hear. At the last change I had to reset 23 devices (clocks, watches, phones, boiler controllers, microwaves, cameras, etc etc)
All of it makes even less sense when you consider that it isn't doing what it was intended to do. There are several articles and a couple of finishes studies out there that actually prove/suggest that DST is costing us actual money, not saving a nickel.
It's not just about the inconvenience.
http://tinyurl.com/yu2ekk
Robert
"Bob Martin" wrote:

Not picking on Bob, just an observation.
Sounds like way toooo.......o much "stuff" in your life.
The puter has a clock, the answering machine has a clock, which borders on one too many clocks for me.
I get there when I get there.
The time piece in my head is within +/- 15 minutes, which is close enuf for most things, especially when you are dealing with SoCal traffic.
Life is too short to sweat the "stuff".
Lew

Just don't forget to upgrade the sand in your hour-glass, Lew.