OT: DST

Hear, hear. At the last change I had to reset 23 devices (clocks, watches, phones, boiler controllers, microwaves, cameras, etc etc)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Sounds about right ... this is a female cat that's obviously been raised "girly". A greater nag has never been heard from.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Applied an unofficial patch (there is no "official" patch) this morning to this Win 2K box ... let's see if it works.

Reply to
Swingman

Did you use Jack's link?

I simply right clicked the clock and adjust time/date, clicked on the internet time tab and clicked update now.

Reply to
Leon

No ... I used a network admin tool, which is an update of something I already had, but wasn't aware that it would apply the registry fix to Win 2K without having to go through the dance.

Didn't work on this Win 2K box, which is no longer supported and as we could see in my message time stamps. I still haven't checked to see how they're showing up correctly ... will do that on my Vista machine later.

Reply to
Swingman

"Swingman" wrote

Yeah ... looks like that did it!

Reply to
Swingman

All of it makes even less sense when you consider that it isn't doing what it was intended to do. There are several articles and a couple of finishes studies out there that actually prove/suggest that DST is costing us actual money, not saving a nickel.

It's not just about the inconvenience.

nailshooter41

If you know someone who sleeps through their alarm I've found a PERFECT GIFT for them. (but they may hate you afterward).

Edmond Scientific has an alarm clock with a special snooze alarm in it. If you sleep past the snooze alarm, the clock takes off on it's own set of wheels, jumps off the nightstand, and runs around the room making extremely loud obnoxious noises, sometimes jumping 3 feet in the air while doing it. The only way to stop it is to get out of bed and catch it to shut it off........PERFECT for one of my sons who never seems to get up on time. He doesn't know it but he's getting one for his birthday.

Charley

Reply to
Charley

Just don't forget to upgrade the sand in your hour-glass, Lew.

Reply to
Robatoy

Yur gonna miss the the log-on squeel, Lew. DSL is always there..no more anticipation if your log-on will take hold... I miss those rough-and-tumble 56k days... the romance has all but disappeared... simpler times. 300 baud. When the text would slowly claw its way upon the screen, stretching the abilities of the AST six- pack set to 80 column width...just to find out that that new-found love from the chat room was a dog. An actual dog.

Reply to
Robatoy

Not picking on Bob, just an observation.

Sounds like way toooo.......o much "stuff" in your life.

The puter has a clock, the answering machine has a clock, which borders on one too many clocks for me.

I get there when I get there.

The time piece in my head is within +/- 15 minutes, which is close enuf for most things, especially when you are dealing with SoCal traffic.

Life is too short to sweat the "stuff".

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

AS long as the task doesn't change, no need to update.

Lew, who is leaving dial-up (sigh), moving to DSL, because is is a cost improvement.

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Robatoy" wrote

I guarantee that at one time, some 20 years ago in my BBS days, I could tell you the connection speed just listening to the modem to modem handshake.

AAMOF, somewhere in a trunk of old computer parts in my office closet is my ancient US Robotics 14.4 that was so fast when it was introduced that you had to install seat belts on the chair for when it connected. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

After you get the DSL up and running you may just shake your head and think, what took me so long. Remember black and white TV's with a single speaker and took a minute or two to come on? This is a bigger difference.

And I was the last person on earth that finally got a cell phone in the last

3 weeks.
Reply to
Leon

That is funny, I still have a B&W tv that I made our daughter watch for a week with no cable. She has a better appreciation for the remote, color and cable

No, I'm still the last hold out. Don't need one, don't want one.

I'll go back to surfing the net while listening to XM.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

Not everything is indoors. I like to take a walk after dinner. In warm weather, we cook and eat outdoors and prefer light over dark. I prefer driving home in the light. In fact, this winter I left work an hour earlier than usual just so I could do that.

While it is not so easy for me to take advantage just getting up earlier as you suggested, why don't you just sleep an hour later?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I've been trying to find the Weekend/Weekday setting on my senior cat, but she insists on going off at 6:31 on Weekends. At least the middle one has her Cheeze alarm set for a more respectable Noon.

Reply to
Bill Stock

That isn't going to happen, be damned if I'm going to have an electronic nurse maid strapped on the hip.

I'm just not that important that a call can't wait.

My goal in life empty my key ring, then throw it away.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

In my mind, I am seeing a man in a billowy white robe walking the earth with his staff in search of truth. A complex man, with simple needs, searching...

Are you and David Carradine buddies?

;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

As long as I don't have to monkey with clocks four times a year that would be fine.

Reply to
J. Clarke