Doug Winterburn

"Leon" wrote

It's gotta be something whacked between OE and the Win2K, because the below is how your abve message is showing up on the Win2K box:

----- Original Message ----- From: "Leon" Newsgroups: rec.woodworking Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 5:30 PM Subject: Re: DST

And my Vista machine shows the time as:

Sent: Monday, March 10, 2008 6:30 PM

I'll do a reboot and see if the problem goes away ... damn MSFT!

Reply to
Swingman

The solution to global warming is to award Dubya the Nobel (sp?) Peace Prize. Hell will then freeze over, solving the global warming problem.

(from a Prairie Home Companion program)

Reply to
charlieb

Reminds me of the time my son was learning how to tell time. Christmas was just around the corner and asked him what he wanted for Christmas. "Daddy, I wanna watch!" So we let him.

Reply to
user

Everything is always the cat's fault...ask any dog.

Reply to
Robatoy

Only if he is 20 lbs. and his food dish is empty. Then he complains more than SWMBO in a Woodcraft/Rockler/Harbor Freight store. Otherwise, they are about the same.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

Ah, yet another reason to love Arizona (besides the spring-like weather right now). On Sunday, California joined our time zone and Colorado gained an hour on us. I got up at my usual time, didn't mess with my circadean rhythms and got to watch people on both time zone sides of me yawn and ask "wha' happened?"

/pity the poor AZ politician who even breathes a whisper of the idea that we join the rest of the sheep messing with their clocks.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I like DST. I'm close to the front edge of a time zone though. I'd rather have my light at the end of the day, not the beginning. There is no sensible reason to have daylight at 4 AM in the summer; even 5 AM is too soon. I'd like to see us on DST all the time.

There is a group trying to get New England put in the Atlantic Time Zone.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Instead of monkeying with the clocks, just GET UP EARLIER IF YOU WANT TO. Geez, like we need politicians to tell us when to get out of bed in the morning.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The same was true here in Indiana for about 35 years until 3 years ago we elected a governor who was convinced we were in dire economic straits because "nobody knew what time it was in Indiana". He twisted just enough representatives arms to get the change through, by one vote, and now you in Arizona have the distinction of being the only state in the 48 to have the common sense to leave their clocks alone. I envy you greatly. Your weather's better too, this time of year at least.

I think we might grow better hardwood here, though.

Roger Grady snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.qlfit.net To reply by email, remove "qlfit." from address

Reply to
Roger Grady

... snip

Oh yeah; or at least a lot more of it.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Roger Grady wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

How have things improved in Indiana since? Local stores still close around 5:00 in Ft Wayne? (So I may be exaggerating, but almost every non-big box store I wanted to go to seemed like they closed around supper time.) Staying open into the evening hours would help the economic situation, not DST.

As a former Indiana resident, I think DST/non-DST balances out when you've got friends and family in Illinois. As much hassle as you're saved by not changing the clock is balanced out by their not being sure what time, exactly, it is. (They're only off by an hour, so it's usually not that big of deal.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Kind of funny when you think about it. If it was such a big deal that Indiana all be on the same time (so Indiana knew what time it was), why not go the other way and eliminate DST altogether instead of making everybody adopt it? Think of the increase in productivity the first several days of the time change if people weren't having their body clocks messed with.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Not that simple. I can get up any time I want to, but the rest of the world I deal with is still asleep and out of sync. There is no benefit for me to show up at work an hour before everyone else. Or arrive at a store an hour before they open.

DST forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I always used to get to work an hour or more before everyone else. It was my most productive time of the day - no interruptions!

Reply to
Bob Martin

Now let me get this straight, it's important to you that there be sunlight so that you can do things indoors?

Reply to
J. Clarke

The cats will be up to speed right around the time we switch back.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Regardless of the cat's sex, it depends on how it's raised.

Raise a cat "girly" and it acts like you'd expect. Raise the cat right, and it acts like a very smart, very coordinated, dog.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I don't care which way it goes, but I wish they'd leave it the hell alone. Set it and forget it. The modern house has too damned many clocks and time keeping devices to make the change to DST, or the change back, anything other than a royal PITA. I quit setting my shop clock after the last power blink...so now the clock blinks at me all the time, but it doesn't bother me with DST/EST or similar nonsense.

In today's world, there's no reason to favor one over the other. Just do it and leave it.

Reply to
Charlie Self