OT: drywall corner bead

FWIW... a pneumatic stapler makes *really* short work of putting up corner bead. The metal kind, that is. Beats the daylights out of trying to hold the bead tight against the corner with one hand, hold a nail with your other hand, and swing a hammer with your other other hand... and for overhead work, like on the edge of a soffit, it's waaaaaaay easier on a shoulder joint that's years old and was first diagnosed with bursitis at the ripe old age of thirty.

Reply to
Doug Miller

This makes even shorter work of it...

nails or staples required at all.

Reply to
Locutus

Gotta wonder how well that bead stays in place when it's not fastened into the framing behind the drywall... I think I'll stick with the stapler.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I've used it for quite awile, never had a problem. (A LOT of drywall guys use them).

Reply to
Locutus

What forces are on a corner that requires it to be fastened so thoroughly? The drywallers around here use mud-on corners now. No nails or staples at all. They're just put on by embedding them into a bed of mud. Our guy (union drywaller with 20+ years of experience) prefers them because they go on straighter as they're not pulled to either side, nor do they have divets in them, where they're fastened. He's the expert, so I'm just going by what he says.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Dembroge

A bump by a kid. 4 or 5 years ago I was doing some warranty work for a large builder in the Houston area. He was having a lot of call backs for corners that were poping loose.

Well that sounds scary. The demples get covered by the mud which should be put on both edges of the corner. Who does he work for?

Reply to
Leon

Now THAT is a snazzy tool......I had not seen one of those.

Reply to
Jim Newell

One decent shot from a kid or some furniture on moving day, and off it comes... 8^(

I've even seen that stuff pop and crack the surface when the framing dries and the wall has some slight movement in it.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

You been snooping in my place??? :-) I've spent countless hours fixing poorly-attached (read, "crimped") corner-bead. It's a major PITA. Just nail it now and get it over with. Otherwise, you might find yourself nailing it some time down the road anyway.

Reply to
Doug Payne

I'm with ya...just did a dozen or so window revels with drywall wrapped back to the window at my buddy's new bar, worked BEAUTIFULLY...will never go back to nails, and won't ever used "mud on".

It may seem like over kill, but in addition to the mud on the corner bead, there's a layer of tape where the coner meets the drywall...it's cheep insurance against cracking in the future, and it seemed to finish easier IMHO.

Regardless of the corner bead/mudding...there's FREE BEER until he forgets what I did for him...fortunately he's a young guy ;-)

DAC

Reply to
DAC

You give me any installation of anything, and I'll give you an example of something that went wrong. Beads are no exception.

Why is that scary? The mud-on corners are paper faced - the same paper tape that is used to cover the joints. There is no flex in a corner as there's a stud behind it for the entire length and the paper tape holds up just fine in the middle of the stud bay where there is flex.

The paper faced mud-on corners are gaining popularity because there are also application tools. There's one to spread mud on both sides of the corner and another to press the corner into the mud and smooth it.

The biggest problem with the mud-on corners is air bubbles. If the installer uses too much and too thick mud bubbles can get trapped behind the corner bead as it's neither the metal nor paper are perforated.

RicodJour

Umm 4 or 5 inside corner beads in the high traffic areas in most of the houses in a 1 year old neighborhood that is not built out yet? I don't think so. And finding a problem with any install is not a particular tallent.

Again I say that this practice is scary. You end up with a house that looks battered in a matter of a few years. Although they use the same paper on the corners as the joints that is an entirely different matter. Inside corner joints and flat wall joints use the paper simply to cheaply cover the joint and give the mus something to stick to. Using only paper and mud on an exterior corner in just asking for trouble down the line and the sine of a builder that is cutting corners. The paper holds up just fine until it gets bumped by any hard object.

I suspect that they use this method to save time and money.

Not a unique problem.

Reply to
Leon

Inside corner beads? Inside corners don't use beads, they're just taped. Regardless, the fault lies with the installer, not the product. My point was that some isolated instances of faulty installation doesn't condemn a product - or shouldn't.

Well, considering that is how I make a considerable portion of my livelihood, I may disagree with you. Seeing the problem isn't the trick, it's diagnosing its cause and prescribing an antidote.

It's really no more susceptible to damage than the standard perforated metal or plastic corner beads.

The mud-on corner bead itself is an unperforated metal corner bead - it's actually stronger than the perforated metal corner beads. The paper facing is the way the bead is held on to the wall.

You make that sound like a bad thing. _Drywall_ is a way to save time and money.

Agreed. It's a little more insidious, though. You won't always see the bubbled edge of the tape immediately after applying the bead - particularly if the bedding mud wasn't thinned enough.

You have the right attitude, though. It's always safer to stick with the tried and true until the new and improved has some history.

RicodJour

Amen. I wasn't sure about using the staples... 'til I applied a short strip a bit crooked, and had to pry it off to replace it. Only about 1/3 of the staples pulled out -- the rest tore through the metal. I think they'll hold.

Reply to
Doug Miller

How is it possible to install cornerbead crooked???

Never the less, if you have problems with crimped cornerbead, it wasn't installed correctly. But hey, don't pay attention to the experts..... since you just figured out that you can *STAPLE* cornerbead, it's quite obvious you are the expert.

Reply to
Locutus

ok, 2 questions

1)what size staple are we taking about? just curious.

I've got a . It buries 1/2" quarter round, outside corner, wallboard. does all cables too. staples up to 9/16" . all staples are diff heights, not widths, cept single side brads. Stop plate for round cables. I'm not gonna use it, just curious. Always screws.

2)What about metal corners on inside corners? I have done this everywhere I can. No big deal.
Reply to
bent

You use regular perforated metal corner beads on inside corners? Or are you talking about the metal flex tape?

The only time I use flex tape on an inside corner is if it's not a 90 degree corner and/or the drywall isn't straight.

RicodJour

I thought that was what drywall screws were for?? Mac

mac davis

I'm not talking industry i would never use a nail just taking all precautions say where a fuse box panel juts out from a wall not always it can be a blessing

Reply to
bent