OT: drains

Page 2 of 2
On 2/22/2012 10:59 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Are you sure that wasn't Gerald Ross?, who clearly stated:
> There is some venting through the overflow on bathroom sinks Check > > that the hole is not stopped up and that water will actually go down > the overflow.
And again, Doug was correct, as it was indeed a "venting" situation, but just not with the system vent.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/22/2012 10:59 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

my bathroom sink has no overflow circuit. Wonder why it works so well?
--
Steve Barker
On 2/22/2012 8:56 PM, Steve Barker wrote:

Because a clogged over flow introduces a problem, "up stream" if it is clogged. A sink with no over flow has not up stream to becomd clogged. A clogged over flow will create a vacuum.

That's exactly why I'm completely sure that it IS a venting problem.

No idea how this is run... but have you put a level on the drain pipes and made sure everything under the sink is running down?
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

On 2/21/2012 8:18 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

The sink has a standard plunger that when you raise the rod on the top of the sink allows the plunger to go down into the drain in the bottom of the sink to close it.
With out the plunger, the sink always takes all of the water I can put into it.
When the bubble forms, you can get it our by moving the plunger. The bubble seems to form between the plunger and the lip which it sits down into.
This in only one half of the double sink in the bathroom the other side works well.
On 2/21/2012 11:45 PM, Mike Marlow wrote:

nothing in the pipe. After reassembling, the drain flowed as it should without the plunger.
When you wiggle the plunger you can see the air bubbles come out.

IMNSHO, it's the plunger. If it doesn't raise much, not enough water flows down to generate a siphon of sorts. Adjust the plunger to go up a little more and the sink will drain properly. I have the same problem with our single sink in this 80-odd year old house (probably a mid-50's redo of the bathroom). The darn plunger always slides off the lifting mechanism just a little and then it drains oh so slowly.
--
Best regards
Han
On 2/22/2012 6:56 AM, Han wrote:

With more and more necessary information added with each new OP post, this now indeed appears to be the source of the problem.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Until your last sentence, I was thinking that the vent might be obstructed...not enough air for the water to leave the basin easily. Might still be that, hard to know without seeing how the drain is set up.
--

dadiOH
On 2/21/2012 6:59 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Sounds like the "vent" is clogged.
On 2/21/2012 7:59 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

If this is a bathroom sink hair could be wrapped around the plunger in the side that doesn't drain properly. This wouldn't show up when examining the trap.
John