OT: drains

Page 1 of 2
This is slightly off topic but the people on Woodworking who post here are very knowledgeable, so I thought i would asked my question here
We live in a house that is 3 years old. The one sink in the upstairs bath room drains very slow some time. I have checked it out and there are not clogs.
It seems like it develops a bubble between the edge of the drain and the plunger. If I fiddle with the plunger the drain burps and everything works well.
Is there some way to prevent this bubble from forming?

Sounds like the vent might be obstructed; head up onto the roof with a flashlight and have a look. If air can't get into the drain, water can't get out.
On 2/21/2012 7:19 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Bingo! The very first thing to check.
Here's an excellent link for the how's and why's of venting, and how talk about it when sussing out the problem with a plumber, if needed.
http://inspectapedia.com/plumbing/Plumbing_Vent_Definitions.htm
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Not a plumber - but have done a lot of "handy man" type work. Agree with Miller. Sounds very much like vent problems. A vent allows air into the drain system - otherwise the water will drain very slowly. It can also effect the commode.
How often does it slow down? I would guess (if it is the vent) it will drain good for a few times straight and then act up for a while. Then repeat.
Of course - you say the house is 3 years old. Has it done this ever since it was built? If so it could be a fault in the plumbing design.
When your on the roof you may find it (don't know where you are) iced over. You also may not see anything at all. I personally would try a snake down it if I didn't see an obvious reason.
Mike
On 2/21/2012 8:42 PM, Michael Joel wrote:

OP: I should have added this is on a double bathroom sink, so since one always works and the other gets the bubble, my guess is it is not a venting problem.
I slows down nearly every time you add water to the sink. Once the drain burps it works like a charm as long as you run water into the sink. As I said the other half of the double sink always works.
I have only owned the house about 7 months and it has done this since I moved in.
On 2/21/2012 10:19 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

How about, in the interest of not wasting other people's time ... and since there might be other vital bits of information being left to an afterthought ... how about taking a picture of the plumbing (clearly showing the connections of both sinks to the p-trap, and which is which), and post it somewhere it can be viewed.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

What's wrong with you, Swingy? Injecting logic into a rec.woodworking discussion on plumbing? What were you _thinking_?
P.S: Whenever I call a RotoRooter man, I ask first: Do you clean out all the vents and lines in the house for that $70 price? They usually do and I do have them get up on the roof to do 'em all. I have also put screens over the vents (twisted wire holding them on so it's easy to remove/reinstall) to keep insects and debris out. The redwood is the worst debris dropper.
(This is after I've tried my 25-footer to no avail.)
-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein
On 2/22/2012 10:27 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

Reminds of someone asking for internet help in getting their car started, foregoing to mention the fact there's no engine.
Until you know ALL the pertinent factors, there will be nothing but noise and irrelevant bullshit.
Hey ... that does sound kinda like rec.woodworking, now that you mention it. :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010

Too much like it. ;)
-- Every day I remind myself that my inner and outer life are based on the labors of other men, living and dead, and that I must exert myself in order to give in the same measure as I have received and am still receiving. -- Albert Einstein
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Maybe:
Fill both sides and then release them together. If both don't work then? I would still think it is a vent.
If the bad side still won't drain but the good side does, may be the plunger. I dislike some of those. It is like they don't get out of the way enough and (as you say) a bubble seems to form that blocks the water. Try removing it. One some they pop out, on some you turn it and lift out, on some I don't know.
Could be a slow drain (not clogged but closed up enough to slow it down). How is it piped? Does each side have a trap or share a common trap? If they share it then of course a clog is less likely.
Mike
Keith Nuttle wrote:

There is some venting through the overflow on bathroom sinks Check that the hole is not stopped up and that water will actually go down the overflow.
--
Gerald Ross

I hate it when that happens.
On 2/22/2012 8:32 AM, Gerald Ross wrote:

In the six months we have owned this house, I had tried most of the things that had been suggest by the people who responded to my question about my burping drain. I want to thank everyone who responded.
However the winner is Michael Joel who suggested the sink overflow that is an integrated into the sink body was plugged. When I read his response I knew that was the only thing I had not thought of. I immediately went up stairs and ran water into the sink until it was above the overflow hole. Guess what IT WAS PLUGGED.
I took the thing apart again and ran a wire into the exit for the overflow and cleaned it out. The drain is now working perfectly.
Thank you Joel for the suggestion.
PS I checked the other sinks and to insure the overflows were working on them and found no other problems. It is better to find out now than when the overflow fails.
On 2/22/2012 11:59 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I want to apologize to Gerald Ross who actually made the suggestion about the sink overflow, I followed the wrong line to see who made the actual suggestion.
I also want to thank Gerald Ross for the tip that solved my problem
I also want to thank Joel and all of the others who helped me solve the mystery of the burping drain.
Keith Nuttle wrote:

Even a blind pig finds an acorn once in a while. Glad it worked out.
--
Gerald Ross

Confusion not only reigns, it pours
On 2/23/2012 3:30 PM, Gerald Ross wrote:

LOL!
I'm laughing, because back when we, and Leon and his wife et al, were playing Canasta with a vengeance (instead of the current fixation with dominoes), we all earned names that pretty much told the story of our gamesmanship/abilities.
Mine, being generally at the back of the pack when it comes to winning in social games, was "Blind Hog".
Leon, being the cunning dude he is, was aptly called "Snake". (Particularly apt when considering he is the permanent, perennial and official scorekeeper). :)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/23/2012 6:15 PM, Swingman wrote:

Hey! You cook the supper, I cook the books! ;~)
On 2/22/12 10:59 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

Do not think for a second that this thread has ended just because the problem has been solved. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 2/22/2012 11:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

LOL ... it won't be over until the plumbing bill is paid to the rightful "winners", and the blame is ultimately placed where it belongs:
It is Butch's fault! (stated with your best Hispanic accent)
;)
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
On 2/22/2012 11:21 AM, -MIKE- wrote:

No Shit! As the problem very well could come back and we need to talk about that until sometime Friday!
On 2/22/2012 12:21 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

Having followed this group for many years, I knew I would get an answer even though it was off topic. However having followed this group for years, I know two additional things, a thread is not over until the thread dies not the problem is fixed. I also know that with some questions, you have to expect some fun with the answers. Why would any one follow a group that had no humor.
Please remember that I originally gave the wrong person credit for the solution. Gerald Ross please accept my apology for not crediting you originally, and thank you for the solution that has be a thorn since we moved into this house.