OT - Drag Racing - Unimaginable Acceleration

The real human cannonballs!
Barry
Now this is why I love drag racing over any other motor sport! Thats some amazing stuff Casa, thanks for sharing it with us.
Jim

For those following this thread that have never seen the Top Fuels cars run in person, I heartily encourage you to take any opportunity to do so.
Anyone with any interest in technology or "neat stuff" in general MUST witness this spectacle at least once in your life. Even if you don't care for racing in general, you will be amazed at what you see.
There are few things in life that will truly make you "not believe your eyes", but this is one of them. My first time, I felt like I was watching a cartoon.
The whole sport is a testimony to what can be achieved when technology, creativity and LOTS and LOTS of money are focused on a singular goal. Your beer dollars at work...
Waaaaayyyy Coooooolllllll!!

I agree, it's truely amazing in person! I went to high school in West Covina and it was a rite of spring time to hear the cars running for the Winter Nationals. By junior year we started making it a tradition do ditch school on qualifying day and go over and watch. Somehow we got pit passes on time and got within 30 feet of the burn out area. The sound these things produce is increadable! With full hearing protection on, you still hear it through the vibration of your skelatal system. Your head vibrates at the sound frequency, it's wild!
Bernie Trying to get back from memory lane and return to adulthood in NY.

Somewhere in a box is a fist sized chunk of asphalt with a stick rubber blob on it i picked up and saved.
That last night, when after the top fuel final, the next vehicles to run the track were bulldozers.
I miss Lyon's raceway!
Andy

I miss Lyon's, Irwindale and Orange County as well! :(

That "first time" was at the Green Valley Raceway in Grand Prairie, TX, sorely missed now. Fortunately we now have the Texas Motorplex which hosts two NHRA events each year. Woohoo!!

TeamCasa wrote:

    j4
jo4hn wrote:

They moved it at least once in the area around Arrow Hwy and Live Oak, IIRC. Gawd that's purely ancient history. Sigh.     jo4hn
And if your gonna watch, you have to stand at 3 locations, starting line, mid track and near the lights, totally different sound and expierence at each location. Oh, and if you get the chance, be in the pits when the fulers are tuning up!
Duane

The first time I went I noticed that the shock waves from the engines were shaking my hair!
The second time I went we walked down to the finish line. If you've never experience true "fight or flight" response to stress, having two screaming top-fuel dragsters coming at you at 300 mph only about 50 feet away will do the trick.
It's so loud and intense that you can't even think. Pure adrenaline rush for the spectator.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"

I took my son and one of his friends to Pomona a few years back. They let you in the pit area while they're tuning and setting up the dragsters (like 20 feet away!). Talk about loud! And the nitro fumes were something else too...
--
Mike Iglesias Email: snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926
Mike Iglesias wrote:

Back in high school we used to go to the drags often. Even made a few runs with the '59 Chevy before the safety regulations made it too expensive for teenagers.
Top dragsters were hitting 130, maybe a bit more. Fast forward 35 years. I turned on ESPN and they are showing the Nationals. The announcers says the last run was something close to 300 mph. I thought he must have made an error or I was not listening becuase you just can hit those speeds in 1/4 mile. Wow, was I impressed when the showed the run.
--
Ed
snipped-for-privacy@snet.net

If it impressed you on TV, you absolutely MUST go see it live someday.
Tom M.

Next closest thing I can think of is being the track director when a "super mod" puller is headed toward you with 5 or 6 full blown alky burners @ full scream, running about 40-50MPH with that damn sled right behind it!
--
Nahmie
Those who know the least will always know it the loudest.

The smell of nitro alone is worth the entrance fee. But the sound (take ear plugs/muffs) of the exhaust is felt all the way down in the core of your soul (and your bones).

Yeah, you see the tree go green, instantly feel the blast of exhaust noise, and they're gone, almost out of sight in mere seconds.
I prefer the funny cars and remember one time when the front-engined car (wow, long time ago) lost a blower and sent fuel exploding into flame inside the car. Thank Buddha for Nomex suits, the guy was alright.
Ah, fond memories of Carlsbad Raceway in SoCal. They held some of the major motocrosses there, too.
Larry Jaques wrote:

J.C. Agajanian presents.................. (said in my best anouncer voice!)
Ascot Raceway - many youthful nights spent there!

TeamCasa wrote:

His boy Chris was my neighbor a bunch of years back. He owned one of the faster cars in town. The other fast car was owned by the son a german fella who owned a VW repair shop in the city. Nice fast Porche. Mueller Motors(?) maybe? Same town Phil Spector is having a little trouble in.
--
Larry C in Auburn, WA