OT Don't read if you sre very very easily offended.

Page 2 of 2

The TI-89 Titanium can do units. It can also do calculus if you're so inclined. It does both Physics (metric) units and the normal stuff (US standard).
8_gal = 1.06944444 ft**3 88(_ft/_s) > (_mi/_hr) = 60 (_mi/_hr)
One thing you learn is to overdo the parenthesis especially around units.
Puckdropper
Puckdropper wrote:

I like that! Next time in an electronics emporium, I'm gonna ask 'em to unwrap one for me to fondle. :)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

That is neat! Can it accept and manipulate fractional inch inputs - like 5 equal spaces in 11 3/32 inches = 2 7/32
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Yes, but it's not intuitive. Your proper fraction 11 3/32 has to be entered as "11+3/32" and the command is (11+3/32)/5 = 71/32, or to get your 2 7/32, you'd enter propFrac((11+3/32)/5).
I can't figure out how to get the propFrac function to work with units. It appears unitary conversion is done after propFrac does its work, so you get the result of the unitary conversion. (Either an improper fraction or decimal result.)
Puckdropper
On 12 Apr 2009 01:42:15 GMT, Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:>Yes, but it's not intuitive. Your proper fraction 11 3/32 has to be

Still that's better than the way I have to do it with my current TI-whatever. I can do the (11+3/32)/5 part but it comes out as 2.21875 which is OK if the decimal part is recognizable as one of the "standard" fractions. If not it's (ans-int(ans))*32 and round to the nearest integer.
Now if I can just convince myself that (plus all the other stuff it can do) is worth circa $150 to me.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

If all you're doing is messing with fractions, there are woodworking calculators available for around $20. A TI-80 can handle fractions quite well, too, and should be available used for about the same price.
If you're constantly doing unitary conversions, the TI-89 is a godsend!
Puckdropper
My TI 50-G does fractions all of the time. It keeps them and reduces them. When I try to find the decimal number of a fraction - I have to fake it out and put in decimal points. Martin
Puckdropper wrote:

Puckdropper wrote:

Some of us rely on memory-aides:
"A pint's a pound, the world around," or "there's pi seconds in a picocentury."

Actually, there are (roughly) pi seconds in a nanocentury.
todd
todd wrote:

Oh. Good thing I never had an occasion to use that conversion.
Morris Dovey wrote:

The Google search web site http://www.google.com/ will do units conversions.
For example try the following 'search string': 1.2 km to inches The first response is: 1.2 kilometers = 47 244.0945 inches
Second example: search string: 1 K to F response: 1 kelvin = -457.87 degrees Fahrenheit
Dan
On Thu, 09 Apr 2009 00:30:50 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

Makes sense. 100k = 180°F

The boiling point of water is 373.15 or 373.16 K and it freezes at 273.15 or 273.16 K at standard pressure, depending on your reference.

Not what I learned in undergrad and grad school.
burtwitlin wrote:

You're both right (probably), depending on age...

http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/kelvin.html
So, if you're also an old fart like I, when still in undergraduate school it _was_ "degrees K", but by time finished grad school they had changed (altho many of us never did, really; just too ingrained except for formal use where could consider and edit).

Please see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kelvin Copying from the page for those of you (like me) too lazy to look it up - "(bla-bla-bla...) The 13th CGPM changed the name to simply "kelvin" (symbol K).[2] The omission of "degree" indicates that it is not relative to an arbitrary reference point such as the Celsius and Fahrenheit scales, but rather an absolute unit of measure which can be manipulated algebraically..."
I'm offended by people who are easily offended.
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
Dave Balderstone wrote:

Hey, I've got that sound clip around here somewhere! I knew what it was before I clicked on it, and I recited it word for word while it was playing. :-)
(Yes, I'm a dweeb)
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.