OT: Don Knotts

NObody did a haughty sniff like Mr. Knotts.

IMHO... he'd be my definition of comedic genius. I couldn't look at him without cracking a grin. I'd be in Intensive Care if I ever found any footage with him and Tim Conway opposite each other. One day I'll have the courage to look for it.

He'll be missed.

Robatoy

I best get a viewing clearance from my doctor.

There had to be something they did together... I'm afraid..vewwy afwaid...

Reply to
Robatoy

I sold a new car to him, for one of his girl friends. (He had two that day!) The thing that struck me most was that he is exactly the same guy in person as he was on screen. Except the fact he had women around him all the time! He had the whole dealership cracking up before he left.

Dave

TeamCasa

I always loved seeing him struggling to get his "bullet" out of his pocket.

Reply to
Leon

And how he would do "Bullet Maintenance".

Regards,

Tom Watson

tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Don's and Andy's facial expressions when trying Aunt Bea's pickles?

A comedy classic.

Reply to
Robatoy

They did at least one film together, "The Apple Dumpling Gang", I seem to recall some others.

Who can forget "The Amazing Mr. Limpet", no Tim Conway but a fun story.

I read some excerpts from his autobiography, he was a very funny guy, he created the Barney Fife character. I don't mean he took over the character, he created it whole.

John E.

Reply to
John Emmons

I saw a touching biography/documentary some time back on cable about the casting of the Andy Griffith show. According to Andy, he had gone into the casting process to actually be Barney and was almost assured of the role. So he was in on the casting for Andy's role when Don came in to try out for either role.

Further along into the casting process, the two began to read together to see if the chemistry was there. According to Andy, it was apparent after a couple of run throughs that Don was funnier and had a lot better grasp of the character they were looking for in Barney. Andy suggested that they trade roles and read again, and history was made.

I love the fact that we never heard anything about his heroin addiction, wife beating, rampant cheating, alcoholism, sexual deviance, or any other of the things that seem so prevalent today. I don't ever recall reading a bad word about that man.

To me, he will always be Barney. Yellling at Oits because he wouldn't stay in the jail cell (even though the key was in reach), on the ready to fight crime wherever it might be, and a trusted and true friend to Andy.

I think about his character at least once a week. I never seem to go a week without running into a "Barney". You know the guy, he makes a comment he thinks is profound, rolls back on his heels, hitches his thumbs in his belt and hoists his pants up while giving a self important sniff. No one ever did that bit better than 'ol Barn.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

My first time seeing him I believe was in The Private Eyes with Tim Conway. Those two had me in stitches. I was too young for him as barney fife, but saw the reruns. Also in threes company. Funny guy.

Reply to
dnoyeB

According to

"The Apple Dumpling Gang" 1975 "Gus"" 1976" "The Apple Dumpling Gang Rides Again" 1979 "The Prize Fighter" 1979 "The Private Eyes" 1981 "Cannonball Run II" 1984

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Barney Fife had two girlfriends too. But he only went out with one of them at a time.

Reply to
fredfighter