OT: do you think the new "no call list" will survive?

Page 3 of 3
On Fri, 26 Sep 2003 10:51:20 -0400, Silvan

Ask 1 question: Is this a sales call? Add one statement: Please remove me from your call list immediately. Once that's done, you're legal. Hang up.
Alternative: Ask 1 question: Is this a sales call? If affirmative, add: Give me your name, badge #, and company name. Add one statement: Please remove me from your call list immediately. Once that's done, you're legal and (possibly) have their info. Hang up.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

Perhaps, but that would reduce the amount of calls just due to cost of calling.
Larry Bud wrote:

Hah!
My office mate made a trip to Germany and noted that it was cheaper to call Germany per minute than it was to make a call 70 miles up the road to Albuquerque (in state long distance)
-Bruce
Bruce Rowen notes:

And contract rates are even cheaper.
The cost is no greater than are the rates for calling in the States.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt
Hey, sounds like you must be in Soccoro (Grandpa in Albuquerque)? Come on now, you know Manny Arrogant is in the pockets of Qwest and every other large industry in the Land of Entrapment. The state is looking out for us peons!
Bruce Rowen wrote:

Traves W. Coppock <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote:

It won't work anyway.
Oh how I could rant about how much I hate phone spam. Especially MCI.
I had one MCI guy who wouldn't take no for an answer. I hung up on him politely. He called back. I hung up on him rudely. He called back. I slammed the phone down. He called back. I just lifted it and slammed it down without even answering. Five more times before that asshole finally got the point.
In spewed forth and said:

Hell, the best deterent for telemarketers is caller ID, if it's "unavailable" or "out of area", so am I<g>. If it's something important, I have an answering machine and they can leave a message. I absolutely will not answer the phone if the name or number is not displayed.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 21:24:37 -0400, Silvan

Ask to speak to his supervisor. Give them the earful and tell them to remove your name (or suppress it) from their call lists.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown
I agree with Larry. The magic words are: What is your name? Who do you work for? and Connect me with him/her.
I had this epiphany while trying to make a medical appointment for my first wife for physical therapy. The twit that answered the phone kept wanting to know if my wife's cerebral palsy (a birth defect) was a new condition and how long she had had it. ARM
Larry Jaques wrote:

What you do in -that- kind of circumstance is answer with things like:
"Yes, it is a new condition, she inherited it from her new-born grand-daughter."
"How long? It'll be 3 days, 4hours, 17 minutes, and 23 seconds, as of noon, a week from next Wednesday."
For inspiration, see the Mark Twain story about his interview with a cub reporter -- this is the story where the line about "the reports of my death were greatly exaggerated" comes from.

We just got cell phones with quite a few minutes, and had the home line disconnected. The law against telemarketers calling cell phones is quite old and seems to be very well understood. The only call I've gotten so far was my satellite company, and they stopped that real quick when I told them to.
--randy
"Traves W. Coppock" <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote in message

That doesn't mean they're offshore. I work in IT in Michigan, and many of my coworkers are Indian.
I think it will survive in some form or another. I do have concerns whether it will be effective. I think the telemarketers won't give up so easy.
Gary
Traves W. Coppock <newsgroups-AT-farmvalleywoodworks-DOT-com> wrote:

I don't understand how this can be a freedom of speach issue. The telephone isn't free and I am the one paying for it. So, if I don't want telemarketers, I should decide. Not the courts.
Being a third shift worker, telemarketing calls tend to be harrasment in my view. I need my sleep.
Wes