OT: Do you really expect quality service from the Borg?

I think the Borgs do the same thing. An acquaintance of mine works for PaveLoc. He goes into BORGs and merchandises, labels, stocks, etc... all of their products. Kind of like the bread and soda folks in the grocery stores.
He doesn't negotiate shelf space, that's at a higher level, but it is negotiated, and maybe paid for.
Barry

Yeah, but I can actually complete my weeks grocery shopping at the grocery behemoth - that would include the chinese, mexican, italian stuff as well as cereal, eggs, meat, milk, pop, snacks, etc. etc. How many of those ethnic stores or mom & pops would it take to accomplish this? Sure the big guys standardize stuff while the little guys niche market stuff. I might stop at the Italian specialty store to get the fixings for a special dinner now and then, just like I stop at Woodcraft to drool over big tools and buy some shellac flakes, but I still go to the Borg for day-to-day around the house crap needs because I can almost always find what I need there.
Dave Hall

See below...
On 22 Jan 2004 02:32:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) wrote:

Yes, of course. But if you're planning an ethinic or special dinner, they're great. I seem to do one of these kind of dinners more often than not since when I bother to cook, I'm usually taking the trouble to plan something differentl Otherwise, whatever'll microwave or be quick works. Don't have to worry about feeding kids yet, so I'm not fussy about everyday meals - unless it's something planned.
Wallworld is going to be the answer to rushed Americans everywhere. You're going to be able to do ALL your shopping, food, clothing, other sundry items, all in one beheamoth location. Course, the variety and whatnot are not gonna be what individual stores woulda provided. But, we may be coming full circle - way back when, particularly when the butcher, baker, etc. were individual locations, I'd guess the variety of stuff each carried was more limited than some of the grocers that came about in the past 10 years or so. Now we're consolidating in a sense and throwing everything together in one giant location.
Do you have Wegman's near you? Now there's a grocery store - giant AND a lot of variety.
Renata

Also non-union if anyone cares.
Dennis Vogel

Damn, now I wish one was in the area, it would get my business.
Dave Hall

With an very good employee share plan. Do you need to be union if you can be an owner?
I have a good friend in Rochester NY that worked for Wegmans for many years. Nothing but good things said about the company.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Union is the best of both worlds. Your wage has nothing to do with your effort, and you get to blame management for everything.

LOL!
I know a couple of people exactly like that.
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati"
Dave Balderstone wrote:

That's where I first saw them too. GREAT subs. We've got one comingto Chantilly and another in Fairfax. This will blow out Harris Teeter and Subway. Can't wait for them to open. I've been union and non-union. The only times being union was necessary was when I couldn't talk honestly with mgmt. I prefer to do my own talking, when it isn't allowed or listened to says a lot about the company.
Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:
On Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:57:34 +0000, mel wrote:

In southern Wisconsin we have Menards and Farm/Fleet. I was looking for a Moen replacement cartridge the other day. The cartridge was $9-10 at Menards and Farm/Fleet and nearly twice the price at HD. When I questioned the price, the lackey at customer service stated it must be a different price. In any event I would have to prove that Menards and Farm/Fleet were selling for less and then HD would give me the same price.
I have not been impressed with HD from the day the first one went up in our area. Prices are not low. Quality is not always apparent. Customer care is lacking.
The local hometown store has very high prices. Quality is perhaps a tad better but most of what is for sale is also at HD. Customer care usually is superb.
Where does one go for good value these days? Seems as though everything is geared around profit and not customer satisfaction.
A satisfied customer is one who feels he got it cheaper. Read the gloats, read the complaints. Even this thread is about "why can't I get a home repair guru for the buck and a half profit I give HD every week.
"We have met the enemy and he is us."
Pogo

Right on George.
With all the complaints about the borgs I've read here I would have expected that everyone has stopped shopping there. So the volume of complaints is somewhat puzzling.
Dennis Vogel

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 11:23:25 -0500, "George"

Excellent observation. We should all think about that.
Barry

When I go to a place like that, I don't ask questions. I do expect low prices, items they regularly carry are in stock, and politeness and respect from the staff. I don't expect anyone in those places to be able to help me with technical questions. If there are people there who can actually help me, I either haven't asked the right questions or haven't met them yet.
If I need expert advice, I will go to a place that has the experts.
If you advertise expert advice, you better be able to provide it. In that case, places like Borgs are presenting false advertising. Just because the salesman may know a little bit more about wall switches than the average homeowner does not make him an expert in the electrical department. I've helped other customers in stores when I overhear the sales drone giving them some obviously wrong advice.

Perhaps the problem is the term "expert". Compared to the average consumer, would venture to say that most of the folks here could be considered "experts" in most things DIY.
If you do woodworking, odds are, you would not hire someone to replace a faucet.
Is it possible that the definition of a plumbing expert in this context is someone who has actually replaced a toilet with their very own hands? I would guess that the Plumbing stock clerck at my local Lowes qualifies.
If you take the Borg marketing to say that our staff may have actually done plumbing (wiring etc...) before, it's not such a stretch.

I worked at CompUSA years ago. They carried like 5,000 items.
People used to get upset all the time that we didn't know the exact technical specs and how every item in the store worked. I'm not sure how anyone thought we could possibly know everything about 5,000 highly technical items.
I'm sure these same people didn't walk into Wal-Mart or Target and expect the clerk on the floor to know all the details on all 100,000 items the store might carry. (Of course, good luck finding a clerk at Wal-Mart or Target.)
Brian Elfert