OT: disturbing email

Like I said, off topic. And not about the election :-).

We ate at a new restaurant a couple of days ago and paid for the lunch with a credit card. The very next day we got an email from the credit card processor (not the restaurant) giving us a detailed email copy of our receipt.

The question is: How the %$#@! did the card processor use our credit card number to get our email address? That bothers me. Anyone know?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Probably got it from your bank. I don't see that as private information, as long as you're using their card. Check your Ts&Cs.

Reply to
krw

I get emails from my credit card company all of the time. I choose to be notified on every purchase over $35.00. I get this by text also.

Reply to
Leon

Do you ever visit the card processor (assumed they are the one who issued the card and maintain your account.)

Part of setting up the online access to my credit card information is my email. Same with my bank where I do all of my online banking.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Are you registered on line with your credit card? If so, they have your email. Some of the CC processors give you the option of getting receipts on line.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Think about it. Likely your card was processed through one of those little iPad devices where they swipe the card and hand you both the card and the iPad to leave a tip.

It's likely part of the agreement between the credit card company and the third party processor, e.g. when we okay the transaction we will forward a receipt and your thank you to the client.

Smart move, actually. You have a receipt that you can print out if you choose and the credit card company knows that they will hear you screaming bloody murder if you didn't make that $50 charge or whatever.

Highly unlikely that either the processor or the restaurant got your address handed to them.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Larry Blanchard wrote in news:nutv1v$14nf$1 @gioia.aioe.org:

Give the number on the back a call. If they did it via some automatic process, tell them clearly it's not appreciated. However, they might have gotten it long ago and not used it until they started the new e-mail receipt thing.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I visit my CCard web site often.

Reply to
Leon

Doesn't answer the question. I never gave my email address to either the restaurant or the card processor (squareup). The email came from squareup. I don't do online banking. I'm sure Visa has my email address, but do they normally give it out to a card processor?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Is it possible that a transaction can be flagged, such that when the card provider receives the transaction, the card holder is emailed that the transaction is received.

I assume that Squareup provides those little attachments that goes in to a smart phone.

To me it seems like a desireable event, other wise some one could sit in their car and make all kinds of transaction on your credit card.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Possibly you did through a transaction that you did not realize was Square (squareup). Maybe an online store?

This Privacy Policy applies to information we collect if you make a payment (e.g., through a Square Invoice, at a point of sale, or using Online Store), request a digital receipt, schedule an ^^^^^^^^^^^^ appointment or otherwise interact with our Services, even if you have not applied for a Square account or downloaded one of our applications.

If you choose to receive receipts via email or text message, we store the email address or phone number you provide. We use your email address or phone number to send you a receipt for your purchase, to send you promotional messages from Sellers you have visited (subject to our legal obligations and your communication preferences) and to automatically send you digital receipts for ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ future purchases you make from other Sellers. ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I know Square will hold on to an email address for a card for a long time.

Elijah

------ reads the terms

Reply to
Eli the Bearded

I go there at least once a month. They get grumpy if the bill isn't paid. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Now that's possible. I do most of my online shopping with PayPal but I do use a credit card on some sites. That's the best explanation yet. I don't know if there's any indication at the time of purchase as to whose doing the processing. I hadn't checked SquareUp's terms and conditions since I didn't even know they existed :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Yes, I did answer the question. I told you that the 3rd party processor likely got it from the credit card company FOR THE LIMITED PURPOSE OF SENDING YOU A RECEIPT (and perhaps a little thank you). All automated (ain't computers great?) and it's more than likely that neither the restaurant or the 3rd party processor ever saw your email addy.

Again, THINK about it. If you didn't give it to them. If you never gave it to the restaurant or the 3rd party processor, just who the hell do you think inserted your email address into this chain of events?

If the only one of the three is the credit card issuer, I think we have the answer. Logic. . . it's a great thing if you have it and know how to use it. ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

There's no necessity for them to give your e-mail address to the card processor; the card processor just needs to send e-mail through a proxy operated by VISA.

A quick looksee at the header of a similar message I got from Square shows, though, that (mta.sip.sjc1.squareup.com [74.122.190.36]) specified my true e-mail address and that address is owned/operated by Square, Inc.

Reply to
whit3rd

On Fri, 28 Oct 2016 08:06:29 -0500, Leon

So do I. My CC is through my bank and I verify every transaction that goes through my bank and CC.

Over the last 10-15 years, I've experienced three CC transactions that were not authorized. Upon notifying the CC company, I've had three cards immediately cancelled and replaced with a new number. It's somewhat of a pain to go through the process, but it saves a lot of hassles in the long run.

Reply to
none

My wife looks at our checking account almost daily but we look at the CC, usually, once or maybe twice a month. If there's a problem, the CC companies will take care of it and they're usually very fast.

Sure, we have too but more often it turns out that the charge was cleared by an unfamiliar company name (parent or other DBA in the same group) but was actually legitimate, or I simply forgot the charge. You're doing the CC company a service by checking your account often but it really isn't necessary. We have caught "feeler" charges ($1-$2 just to feel out legitimate accounts) and had them shut down but we don't just sit on our CC accounts waiting for fraud.

Reply to
krw

Those "Feeler" charges are legitimate and not necessarily someone checking you account with an idea of committing fraud

Many business send these $1 charges to the credit company before sending the actual purchase. The $1 charge validates the card.

If you watch your CC account you will see them appear and disappear as they age out.

Every time I check my account I see a couple of these $1 transactions, that are followed up with the real purchase from the same company.

Since they disappear and not credited to your account unless you are watching you would not know they are occurring.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Sure, sorry that I wasn't clear. These were fraudulent, though, and confirmed by the CC company.

Reply to
krw

Since my credit card companies are responsible for any fraudulent charges and I have a pretty high limit, they have very often contacted me to verify a charge that "falls outside my normal spending pattern" and have occaisionally actually called me before I got off the lot of the company I purchased from.. In over 45 years I have only had 2? charges I could not explain which were cancelled by the card issuer - and one of them was found to be an error in their system that charged my card instead of someone elses - they found a glitch that had caused it to happen several times in the same day to different customers - I believe from the same retail terminal.

They are attempting to protect not only me, but themselves.

Reply to
clare