OT: dentures

Way OT, but since I'm sure I'm not the only seasoned citizen on this group, I thought I might find some expertise here.
I'm having a problem with plaque forming on my dentures. Seems to have gotten worse in the last year or so, maybe my chemistry is changing.
But I can't seem to get it off. I've tried the soaks, the toothpaste especially for dentures, a vinegar/water mix, and a bleach/water mix.
The only method that had much effect was the bleach/water but it also tended to bleach out the pink "gum" color. Luckily I tried it on an old denture and not my good ones :-).
I've seen ads for ultrasonic cleaners, but I wonder if one of those was used on a regular basis what the effect on the plastic might be.
Anyone found a solution they'd share with me?

✖
On 10/31/2011 04:26 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

I think my dentist uses ultra-sonic and/or water-pic. I have 'em polished up every year.
--
"A man can fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to
blame somebody else." -John Burroughs

my dentures not being pretty. Not a problem for me, but it drives my wife batty. I got an ultrasonic cleaner and it took the film right off in a few sessions. And to let you know how well it works, my wife totally approves of it. And THAT is a rare event.
The brand I use is Sonic Brite. It is a small, battery operated unit. You fill to a line inside with warm water and put in a 1/2 teaspoon of the Sonic Brite powder. Put the dentures in so they lay flat on the bottom. Then turn it on. It goes for 15 minutes, then turns off. You need to remove the dentures right away, or they will pick up a bad taste. In fact, you need to thoroughly clean them will water afterwards to get the bad taste off of them. But the dentures end up really smooth and clean. And I suppose it helps curtail any little critters that may want to grow on there.
You do have to buy their powder. Most people just buy the unit and powder on line. They are readily available.
One little problem with this unit is that it will just walk across the counter and fall on the floor unless you put up some kind of cage around it. I either put up some cups or put it in a box. You also have to remember to turn the switch off when done.
It works well and does not affect the plastic. If the dentures are looking bad, it could take a month or so to bring them back to pretty. I have talked to other people who use this and many of them, including me, use the unit once or twice a week. Some clean freaks use it everyday. I rinse thoroughly with water and wipe them off twice after each cleaning session. The teeth do really feel fresh and clean when you put them in after a cleaning session.
HTH, Lee
Add pictures here
✖
On Oct 31, 10:27 pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Or look into the Festooth line of products.
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:58:48 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

Yeah. The Festooth OF 2200 EB Router should take care of any plaque on your dentures.
Add pictures here
✖

Angle grinder ...
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 21:58:48 -0700 (PDT), Robatoy

ONLY $32,497.14 down and...
-- When you are kind to someone in trouble, you hope they'll remember and be kind to someone else. And it'll become like a wildfire. -- Whoopi Goldberg
Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 22:27:28 -0400, Lee Michaels wrote:

OK, you and others have convinced me - ultrasonic is the way to go, We'll see if my wife approves :-).
Thanks to all - even the Festooth folks.

✖
On Mon, 31 Oct 2011 23:26:40 +0000 (UTC), Larry Blanchard

A Dremel tool.
Add pictures here
✖
Larry Blanchard wrote:

--
Gerald Ross

Afraid of heights? Not me, I'm afraid
✖

Implants. How much money you got?
Add pictures here
✖
On 10/31/2011 6:26 PM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Well I am almost shocked that this OT conversation has not splintered off into E.D. and the arguments from the "experts".
Add pictures here
✖

Didn't George Washington have dentures made from wood?
How about using an electric toothbrush and a toothpaste with a polishing agent?
There used to be one called Topal.
--
FF

Add pictures here
✖
On 11/4/2011 2:43 PM, Fred the Red Shirt wrote:

No. Ivory.
Add pictures here
✖

He may have had more than one set. I read somewhere that someone maybe not Washington, had dentures made with 'donor' teeth extracted from slaves which sounded a bit suspicious to me.
Sort of like Tycho Brahe who had more than one artificial nose.
(Though I presume he only wore one at time...)
--
FF

Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:43:09 -0700 (PDT), Fred the Red Shirt

Here's the details. I was starting to cringe by the time I got to the bottom of the page.
http://www.americanrevolution.org/dental.html
Add pictures here
✖

Considering all the aches and complaints we North Americans have in this day and age, in retrospect, we really have it pretty easy.
Add pictures here
✖
What did you Dentist or Denturist say?