OT: Democracy in Action

Page 7 of 8
On 8/12/2011 8:22 AM, Swingman wrote:

snip
I can not think of a better way to produce good grand kids. ;~)

Watch out Bryan, and ???
--
Best regards
Han
On 8/12/2011 10:04 AM, Han wrote:

Trust me, if I thought we could get away with it, my people would currently be talking to Leon's people, non stop!! :)
There are damn few twenty something males in this culture today that aren't total doofuses ...
(My initial thought when meeting most of them is to reach over, grab them by the collar, and slap the shit out of 'em to start as my introduction) <g>
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/15/2010

Yeah, I'm wondering who my 15 year-old granddaughter is going to bring home ... Bet you'though it's a geek ...
--
Best regards
Han
Swingman wrote:

I didn't look it up. By "doofuses" do you mean glued to their technology, have too much moose in their hair, that they are pre-occupied with video games, or something else? I don't know enough 20-something males to offer much of an opinion.

On 8/12/2011 12:37 PM, Bill wrote:

Darn instead of Damn
Doofus instead of Dipshit
Swingman wrote:

I agree with you that "parental involvement" is key. You and your wife were obviously were very thoughtful parents!
As far as the balking, I don't know anyone who enjoys more legal involvement in his or her life. Helping a student is one thing, helping a student with a lawyer standing behind him or her feels like another--even if it shouldn't. It might feel like having a police officer drive with you to work everyday. In short, the balking was probably, hopefully, just human nature. I think in truth, some teachers give his or her all, and some give much less--just like people you'll find in every profession.
I think it really is quite fair to say that a 7:00-3:00 job as a middle or high school teacher can be highly-taxing. I see what it does to my wife... BTW, I know from her experience that student performance is high (off the charts, really), where parental involvement is very high. And much lower where parents, perhaps due to their concern about putting food on the table, are not as involved. This raises a whole can of worms as to how to "fix the educational system".... Maybe the educational system begins long before the student enters a school?
Maybe we should require people to get some training before they have children? Would there be any political objection (ha! ha! ha!)?

<sarcasm> I've always been in favor of something in the drinking water that would prevent pregnancy. After you get your license to have a kid, you can get the antidote.
</sarcasm>
--
Best regards
Han

The military. More expensive than it needs to be, but it is run well. Other than that, well... That's the reason government _must_ be greatly limited.

Money isn't everything. How many here could make more money doing something else?

That's the problem. You, and too many others, are looking for government to help. It's *not* going to.

Yes, they should have gotten a *lot* more.

Hey, I don't two beers to brag. I'm proud of my 3 girls. 2 of them are playing with nuclear generators and the youngest off to college next Sept. She just aced her grade 11 final in math.... MUCH to our surprise. Angela just finished her Masters so the academic atmosphere has proven fertile grounds for the youngest to give it an extra push. Monkey see monkey do.
On 8/12/2011 8:36 AM, Robatoy wrote:

Excellent examples the two of you have set! Girls are easy, right; ;~0
Han wrote:

I taught high school chemistry and physics for two semesters and I can say with truth that dozens of teachers are underpaid. Tens of thousands more are grossly overpaid.

They have a good union to assure that won't change too!
On 8/11/2011 11:04 PM, HeyBub wrote:

Switch to Chrome
Leon wrote:

Chrome? You mean the nascent browser produced by Google?
Not a chance. If it were worth beans, Microsoft would have bought it.
And don't think my evaluation is biased just because I own a shit-load of Microsoft stock.

I tried Chrome several years ago and discarded it. Now I am a new convert. And still a liberal <grin>.
--
Best regards
Han

Actually Chrome has higher compatibility with the current release of HTML5 than does Internet Explorer.
Microsoft hasn't bought it because Google isn't trying to sell it, and Microsoft is not big enough to buy Google.
Give it a shot, you'll be surprised at how good it is. I was. The fact is that the past few releases of IE have been pretty well hosed.

Now *there's* a shock -- a MonkeySoft browser not fully complying with standards?? What is the world coming to, anyway?
On 8/13/2011 1:19 PM, HeyBub wrote:

You obliviously have not tried it lately and if you think that Microsoft buys everything that is good, they would have replaced IE many many many years ago.
On 8/13/2011 12:57 PM, Leon wrote:

Geeez leon.....