OT -- deer hunting success

Page 1 of 2
Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was field-dressing a buck. Third year in a row I've gotten a deer before lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be able to hunt private property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a hundred thousand other people. Should wind up with close to a hundred pounds of venison in the freezer.
Life is good.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Way to go, Doug.
--
I used to like fishing because I thought it had some larger significance. Now I
like fishing because itΉs the one thing I can think of that probably doesnΉt. ­

I know a guy who shot one from his bedroom window a few years back.

βœ–
snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in wrote:

According to Jeff Foxworthy, then, he might be a redneck. That's one of the criteria: "if you've ever shot a deer from your house..."
Add pictures here
βœ–
email.me:

No monster; by Midwestern standards, it's only medium-sized, even leaning a bit toward the small side of medium. No pics to post -- it wasn't big enough to bother taking any.
I will say this, though: it's the biggest four-point buck I've ever seen. I was *really* surprised there wasn't at least one more set of tines on the antlers.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Not for the deer!
Add pictures here
βœ–
Doug Miller wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Bob Martin wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.
"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have multiplied like rats.
Here in the West, we have mountain lions.
Parklands in the cities have been over run and have become a real problem.
Farmers OTOH, can get a little relief by opening their lands to hunters.
Know a couple farmers in Michigan who would be happy if the hunters shot ALL the "Bambis" on their farms.
Lew
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/18/2012 5:27 AM, Mike Marlow wrote:

Then the coyotes are not doing their job. I believe the number one cause of auto insurance claims is deer collisions.
You mentioned the Bambi complex. It is difficult to argue with a 6 year old, when you are on a hike, that Walt Disney is not the ultimate authority on the life of a deer. Especially when they are aware a second fawn is following you 10 or 20 feet off of the trail as you try to take pictures of the mother and her other fawn
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/18/2012 6:21 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

i had a deer hit me a few months ago. small female mule deer just before sunrise. i saw it out of the corner of my eye coming up out of a ditch on the side of the road, slammed on my brakes and was dead stopped when it hit me on my vette's front quarter panel, rolled off the hood, and kept on going.

Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/18/2012 3:50 AM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

we (farmers and ranchers) also have the out clause that allows us to 'drop them on site' year round if they are endangering livestock. Yep, deer endanger my live stock by knocking down fences. So away they go.
--
Steve Barker
βœ–

Florida Gators and Pythons? Of course, neither can be considered natural deer predators, but you could export some of Florida's predators out west to control the deer problem. Once the deer are all gone, those exported predators should die off pretty quick.
:)
Add pictures here
βœ–

What about the runaway human population?
Add pictures here
βœ–

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do about it....
Add pictures here
βœ–

OK, where do you live? ;-)
Add pictures here
βœ–

That's about what I figured: you think there are too many *other* humans.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, I was here before most of them! World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like that.
Add pictures here
βœ–

So you got yours, and to hell with everyone else, eh?

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the number of *other* people.
Hypocrite.
Add pictures here
βœ–
Doug Miller wrote:

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up, but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?
Just something to think about...
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Wed, 21 Nov 2012 18:43:49 -0500, "Mike Marlow"

Maybe he's talking about the Deer Species. In any event, I vote to eliminate Doug. He certainly has had more of a negative impact on this earth than *any* deer.
Add pictures here
βœ–
4ax.com:

You're welcome to make the attempt, Dave, but I suspect it won't end well for you.
Add pictures here
βœ–