OT -- deer hunting success

Hunting season opened at 7:03 this morning. By 9:00, I was field-dressing a buck. Third year in a row I've gotten a deer before lunchtime on opening day -- it's nice to be able to hunt private property after all these years hunting in state forests, along with a hundred thousand other people. Should wind up with close to a hundred pounds of venison in the freezer.

Life is good.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Way to go, Doug.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I know a guy who shot one from his bedroom window a few years back.

Reply to
Larry W

snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote in news:k896ha$lmb$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

According to Jeff Foxworthy, then, he might be a redneck. That's one of the criteria: "if you've ever shot a deer from your house..."

Reply to
Doug Miller

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:k896hk$hcq$1@dont- email.me:

No monster; by Midwestern standards, it's only medium-sized, even leaning a bit toward the small side of medium. No pics to post -- it wasn't big enough to bother taking any.

I will say this, though: it's the biggest four-point buck I've ever seen. I was

*really* surprised there wasn't at least one more set of tines on the antlers.
Reply to
Doug Miller

buck. Third year in

able to hunt private

thousand other

Not for the deer!

Reply to
Bob Martin

------------------------------------------------------ Bob Mart> Not for the deer!

------------------------------------------------------ The "Bambi" complex has lead to serious problems in several suburban areas, especially in the Eastern half of the USA.

"Bambi" has no natural predators in the Eastern USA thus they have multiplied like rats.

Here in the West, we have mountain lions.

Parklands in the cities have been over run and have become a real problem.

Farmers OTOH, can get a little relief by opening their lands to hunters.

Know a couple farmers in Michigan who would be happy if the hunters shot ALL the "Bambis" on their farms.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Then the coyotes are not doing their job. I believe the number one cause of auto insurance claims is deer collisions.

You mentioned the Bambi complex. It is difficult to argue with a 6 year old, when you are on a hike, that Walt Disney is not the ultimate authority on the life of a deer. Especially when they are aware a second fawn is following you 10 or 20 feet off of the trail as you try to take pictures of the mother and her other fawn

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

we (farmers and ranchers) also have the out clause that allows us to 'drop them on site' year round if they are endangering livestock. Yep, deer endanger my live stock by knocking down fences. So away they go.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Sun, 18 Nov 2012 01:50:13 -0800, "Lew Hodgett"

Florida Gators and Pythons? Of course, neither can be considered natural deer predators, but you could export some of Florida's predators out west to control the deer problem. Once the deer are all gone, those exported predators should die off pretty quick.

:)

Reply to
Dave

What about the runaway human population?

Reply to
Bob Martin

i had a deer hit me a few months ago. small female mule deer just before sunrise. i saw it out of the corner of my eye coming up out of a ditch on the side of the road, slammed on my brakes and was dead stopped when it hit me on my vette's front quarter panel, rolled off the hood, and kept on going.

Reply to
chaniarts

Bob Martin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

If you feel there are too many humans, you know what to do about it....

Reply to
Doug Miller

news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

OK, where do you live? ;-)

Reply to
Bob Martin

Bob Martin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

That's about what I figured: you think there are too many *other* humans.

Reply to
Doug Miller

From a Dilbert cartoon

Pointy-haired boss (PHB) - "I went hunting over the weekend and shot a moose." Secretary: "That doesn't sound like you. What am I missing?" PHB: "It had a saddle." Secretary: "And there it is."

Reply to
HeyBub

"HeyBub" wrote in news:NqednWgYaapB3jHNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

No saddles on mine, just antlers.

Heading out again tomorrow morning at oh-dark-thirty with my son and his SWMBO. 'Bout time to hit the rack.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Well, I was here before most of them! World population has tripled since I was born. Can't go on like that.

Reply to
Bob Martin

Bob Martin wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mid.individual.net:

So you got yours, and to hell with everyone else, eh?

Another population-control advocate who isn't willing to take the obvious direct action open to him, but instead wants to limit the number of *other* people.

Hypocrite.

Reply to
Doug Miller

What about the two deer you eliminated? I don't want to stir things up, but don't the deer have any rights (maybe they were here first)?

Just something to think about...

Reply to
Bill