OT- decking surface material

deciding on the deck surface. 2x6 pressure treated vs. 5/4 deck boards. Same cost. This is for a 2nd story 12x30 deck. any comments appreciated. Posts are 6x6, beams are 4x16. Very stable :)

Reply to
tecwhiz

Trex. Well worth the added expense. Lasts a long time and no need to mailtain it like fir, cedar, or redwood. I'm impressed w/ it. -Rick

Reply to
Sbtypesetter

If you are talking PT for the 2x6 or 5/4 material, I would advise the 5/4 material. It is rounded on the corners and is lighter weight. Read that easier to handle and easier on bare feet.

Also consider 5/4 Ipe. More pricey but it offers the advantage of a non-toxic material and will last for many many years like PT with out any treatment at all.. Very easy on bare feet and no splinters.

Reply to
Leon

2x6 can span a greater joist gap, normally 24" OC. 5/4 comes rounded, often a slight better quality. I've run 2x6 throuygh a planer and router to round the edges and smooth it before, for a special application that needed the strength, but I do 5/4 normally. IPE is great. Trex, and the like, are too artificial for me. Almost always end up with PT 5/4 decking.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Cochran