OT, Debit card

Page 2 of 2
On Mon, 5 Aug 2013 16:18:02 -0700, Lew Hodgett wrote:

I use the debit card for every day small purchases. Credit card gets used for higher cost durable goods. Just my preference to do this.

charged to it, in fact it pays a small amount of interest. If your bank is charging you fees you should shitcan them.
In 2013, CC has charged a total of $2.34 interest and fees.

Debit or CC you still have to report it if you lose the card. I suppose you could ignore it and see what happens.

basilisk
On 8/6/2013 7:37 AM, basilisk wrote:

use, you must do it responsibility using sound economic practices. You follow your budget. Unlike the government, you don't spend what you do not have regardless of how much you feel you need the item.
Just as you would not leave a $100 bill on the counter in the store where you are shopping you do not leave a credit or debit card.
I have used credit cards since the 1970 and have had no major problems. They are paid off timely, balances are paid of when billed, or as quickly as possible.
Personally I use a credit card, as it isolates the the company where the purchases are made from my accounts. Living in the current climate of crime it frees me from carrying large amounts of cash. It also gives me cushion for unplanned expenses, as most responsible companies take credit cards today.
I review all purchase made using the credit card on a weekly basis, and if there appears to be a problem immediately contact the card company.
On 8/6/2013 7:46 AM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

I currently use a Discover card for everything that I can use it for. I have had it for 26 months and Discover has PAID ME $1300.00 to use it. Prior to that Citibank paid me an average of $50 a month to use their card for about 4 years. Before that a GM card that knocked off an additional $6500.00 on vehicle purchases after I made my deal. I pay these cards off monthly and have not paid interest or fees on a CC since 1983 and that was a one month mistake.
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 10:25:17 -0500, Leon wrote:

Other than the vehicle purchase, my story is similar. But with all the snooping the NSA's been doing, I may go to cash on general principles :-).
carrying a cross.
On 8/6/2013 11:08 AM, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Security cameras are everywhere, they can watch you spend your cash too. LOL
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 11:56:54 -0500, Leon wrote:

Good point, but I sometimes wonder if we aren't selling our souls for a few reward points and dribblings of interest.
basilisk
On 8/6/2013 12:43 PM, basilisk wrote:

Do you consider in excess of $10K to be a few reward points and or dribblings?
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 13:15:25 -0500, Leon wrote:

No, but it is all relative, for me reward points contributes a thousand dollars a year or so to my bottom line(thankyou Visa).
I still perfer to deal in cash when possible, I live frugally except for a few areas, and those things I do spend a lot on are usually cash. This is a problem sometimes, buying cars and such with cash draws unwanted attention as it is considered not playing by the rules. I even once had a Ford dealer refuse a cash deal, strange world we live in.
The argument can be made for running every penny through a credit card and taking every reward possible. I'm not comfortable doing it. YMMV
basilisk
On 8/6/13 2:20 PM, basilisk wrote:

Yes it does and the assholes can just take your money for "suspicion"
http://www.newschannel5.com/story/18241221/man-loses-22000-in-new-policing-for-profit-case
--

-MIKE-

On 8/6/2013 2:20 PM, basilisk wrote:

Now I am really confused. You earn $1000 per year from charges but a majority of your spending is done so with cash, you are still charging a load each year considering that you prefer to pay cash. I assume you define cash as strictly government issued currency, not a check. Car dealerships and for that matter any business that receives cash payments, government currency, in excess of $10,000 are required to report that transaction to the government. This is a burden for the business to provide extra documentation. Regardless your purchase of an automobile is documented with the state government no matter how you pay for it.

I'll admit that some of the division is just force of habit. It has a lot to do with who I'm paying.
Even though I prefer to use cash some years it isn't predominate method, just depends on what I am up to and how much is on hand.
household, small items, groceries-currency or debit
online or large items from large businesses- credit card
independent contractors or small businesses- currency always
Should I decide I want a car, truck, or a sawstop I save the money for that purpose and when I have enough I make the purchase, depends on where the purchase is made how it's paid for.
I write very few checks 2-3 a month.
basilisk
On 8/6/2013 7:37 AM, basilisk wrote:

I used to, but no more. Too many stories of stolen numbers so I limit exposure. Anything under $100 now is cash, all internet purchases are credit cart, not debit. My debit card offers protection, but it may take a few days to resolve, meantime the checking balance is potentially gone until resolved.
On Tue, 06 Aug 2013 15:27:07 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I keep two checking accounts, I keep the balance down on the one associated with the debit card. Limits the amount of damage anyone could do, plus it doesn't have an allowance for overdraft.
I use the CC for online and a couple of times a year report it lost to generate a new number. I also keep the credit limit low on it, even though I wouldn't be responsible for unauthorized charges.
basilisk

A scan of all your personal id card ect is a good way to file them away on paper.
Mrk

Be sure to tape all that private information to your desk, or save it in an easily found location on your hard drive. I bought a desk a couple of months ago and found the lady's username and password for things like her credit union, PayPal, plus presumably her husband's name and driver's license number.
I was tempted to see if some of it still worked, but just got rid of the stuff.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

In