OT, Debit card

Page 1 of 2
Last week I lost my debit card, most likely it is still in my possesion somewhere, but it wasn't where it was supposed to be.
I noticed it gone about 12 hrs after the last use, and so began the drill of reporting it lost/stolen.
Call the 800 number and then it dawns on me that I have no idea what the card number is, unlike a credit card, the number doesn't show up on any statements nor is it on any of the application documentation or the letter that it came in.
This made stopping the card difficult but after an hour or so me and the nice young man from India named Bob managed to verify my identity and halt the card.
No harm was done, no unathorized charges were incurred.
Write your debit card number down somewhere safe, it will save you a lot of trouble should it go AWOL.
basilisk
A better solution is to place all your cards on a scanner/copier and make a paper copy that you find(maybe) the next time this happens.
On 8/5/2013 9:11 AM, basilisk wrote:

"Pat Barber" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Mikey likes it; however, given my limitation these days of sometimes not being able to recover hard copy, think I'll scan that page in memory as a pdf file in an appropriate folder.
If all else fails, can do a "search" of all the drives to retrieve the file.
Lew
On 8/6/2013 10:29 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

If you scan a hard copy document, and create a PDF file, it will not be searchable. It is the same as making a PDF of a picture of your wife, there is no text to search. As I understand in working with genealogical document, you can create a searchable database for the image PDF document by doing and OCR of the document.
If you print a PDF document from a word processor, the text is maintained as text in the PDF document, and is searchable.
You could search your hard drive for the file name but I forget file name so for me that would not work.
"Pat Barber" wrote:

------------------------------------------------------ Lew Hodgett wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- "Keith Nuttle" wrote:

------------------------------------------------- That's me.
I use a folder named JUNK to keep various files.
I don't even try to remember a lot of file names.
Tracking down a specific file from among 20-30 files in the JUNK folder is NBD, at least not yet<G>.
Lew
On 8/6/2013 9:57 PM, Keith Nuttle wrote:

PDF files _can_ have an underlaying text layer that IS searchable.
On 08/05/2013 02:21 PM, Pat Barber wrote:

That's a good solution. A better solution is to use cash.

Just make sure you hide it so when they break in they won't find all your numbers. But most likely you'll forget where it is too.
"Mike M" wrote:

----------------------------------------------------- Scan your cards and save as a pdf file named "MyPlasticCards" and save in a folder named "Junk" located on the root directory.
Worked for me.
YMMV
Lew

Just be sure to remove the file (better to format the disk) before you get rid of the computer. (Even better would be to remove the disk and keep it, but formatting will stop the curious and tempted from accessing the file.)
A folder named "Junk" would be one of the places I'd look with interest when checking out a new used computer.
Puckdropper
--
Make it to fit, don't make it fit.

"Puckdropper" wrote:

-------------------------------------------- Run Fdisk before you dump the puter.
Problem solved.
Lew
On 8/7/2013 6:34 PM, Puckdropper wrote:

I believe for a determined hacker just formating the disk will not remove the files, only delete the information as to thier location.
If you want to remove the files you must use one of the scurbber programs, like the one in Mcafee Total Protecton called Shredde.
These programs consecutively write nonsense to he file location so the information can not be reconstructed.
Ok, I'll share my way with you guys...
c:\! (Exclamation marks are often pronounced "bang")
Under that are:
c:\!\Accounts\(with a folder for each account)
c:\!\Maps
c:\!\Medical
c:\!\Home
c:\!\cars\(etc)
The ! sorts to the top of an ASCII list, so it's possible to have several different segments of sorted folder (and file) names inside a single folder.
C:\! !\whatever will float to the top
c:\!!\something comes next
c:\!\ after that
and then c:\ordinary file names

Better yet, send all cards and pin numbers to me for safe keeping.
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 13:36:55 -0700, SonomaProducts.com wrote:

I wouldn't want to burden you with my vast wealth :)
On 08/05/2013 03:16 PM, basilisk wrote:

AS the old saying goes - "I have a lot of money, but it's all tied up in debt."
On 8/5/2013 12:11 PM, basilisk wrote:

You shouldn't need the card numbers, the customer rep can obtain that info after he/she ask you the personal questions related to your account. Ex: Last four digits of your SSN, DOB, Phone number, Home address, etc. If all they needed was the card number, than any Joe Schmoe who steals it can make all the required changes and keep it while spending your money. Also, if you have to deal with a foreign accent other than a southern drawl, I suggest changing your financial institute.
On Mon, 05 Aug 2013 18:04:17 -0400, Meanie wrote:

Sure enough I didn't have to have the number, but it would have been much less bother to have had it.
basilisk
Meanie wrote:

----------------------------------------------------------------- Better yet scrap the bloody DEBIT card and replace it with a CREDIT card (VISA, MC).
Make the bank take responsibility for resolving problems and EARN the fees they charge.
With a DEBIT card, you have to resolve your own problems.
Lew
On 8/5/2013 6:18 PM, Lew Hodgett wrote:

An even better suggestion that that, scrap the bank and find a good credit union to keep your money safe.
The bank works for the bank's share holders.
In a credit union, YOU are a share holder.