blanket in the first place.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
jo4hn

keep'm coming.

Reply to
Robatoy

oh, for f*ck sakes.... give it a rest willya?

Reply to
Robatoy

European type blankets.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Small recompense for smallpox and a f'in continent, even if it were true.

G'Day mates.

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

Anybody who thinks that the Native Americans are not capable of making incredibly high quality handwoven textiles needs to check out the Pueblo Cultural Center in Albuquerque. Note that contemporary Native American rugs go for the same kind of prices as Iranian.

Reply to
J. Clarke

IIRC, the highest appraised value for an item on Antiques Roadshow was at one time an American Indian blanket ... don't remember the exact price, high six figures ... not bad for a simple black and white saddle blanket exactly like one I used to have. :)

Reply to
Swingman

I agree, that's why I said "most cases." In order to have a woven blanket, you have to have some sort of fibrous material. In order to have that, you have to be part of an agricultural society, raise sheep, or somesuch. The Navajo and Pueblo were part of such groups and could grow flax and other fiber-bearing material. They were quite good at woven products. And black fedoras with wide brims.

Other Indians, plains Indians, were nomadic and didn't stay anywhere long enough to grow much in the way of crops or herds. They were on the move quite a bit, never stopping long enough to invent the wheel. Or musical instruments, a written language, rudimentary metallurgy, or much beyond a remedy for hiccups.

Reply to
HeyBub

Quibble:

Individual groups do not have to invent everything for them to use the invention. The plains Indians were aware of the wheel but did not adapted it into their life style.

The art of weaving has been in all societies for many centuries before the discovery of American continent. The materials that were used in weaving were dependent on the the environment they lived.

It is my personal opinion that people today significantly under rate the accomplishments and technologies of those cultures and people who have past before us. ie. we have lost our natural knowledge as we become dependent on electronic technologies. (Or you don't need a computerized shop to turn out high quality woodworking projects.)

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

For centuries, the nomadic plains Indian had no need of blanket weaving skills, - there was a ready supply of buffalo robes - prior the advent of european settlers and the wiping out of the buffalo herds.

No musical instruments? - perhaps drums and double chambered flutes don't count?

diggerop

Reply to
diggerop

Or, more likely, took it away from him.

Max

Reply to
Max

Hence the expression, " . . . enough hair on my ass to weave an Indian blanket."

Dave in Houston

Reply to
Dave in Houston

I'll bet our indigenous Indians knew:

1.If their feet were cold, push the blanket down 2.If their chest was cold, pull the blanket up

ADJUST THE BLANKET TO SUIT OUR NEEDS?!?!?!?! CHRIST ALMIGHTY!!!!! WE CAN"T FUCK AROUND THAT WAY!!!!

The next thing you're going to tell me is I can't vary the route I go to work due to traffic.

-Zz

Reply to
Zz Yzx

On Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:19:14 -0400, the infamous Greg G. scrawled the following:

Hey, it is the old Grogs, ain't it? Howdy, y'old scoundrel. 'Ow the 'ell are ya?

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Actually, no. I'm from long ago, and remember you, but not the bloke your thinking of. I'm more the pariah of Usenet than Groggy. Although I am currently considering expatriating to New Zealand.

He was just Greg, I'm

Greg G.

Reply to
Greg G

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 04:35:40 -0500, the infamous Greg G. scrawled the following:

I think Grogs was Gregg someting. But when you said "G'day", I thought...

In any case, Hello and Welcome!, fellow curmudgeon.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Was that before or after they killed most of them and kicked the rest off their land?

Reply to
SBH

Before.

Reply to