OT- daylight savings time

Page 4 of 4
Frank Ketchum wrote:

It's a quote from the Simpsons' TV show... Mr. Burns talking to Homer about something or other.
Sorry. I have no idea why I said that particular thing.
A jib is a small triangular sail that's suspended ahead of the foremast on a big sailing ship, incidentally, I think.
Actually, a jib can be larger than the main, and it's found on small sailboats also.
Renata
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 17:29:49 -0500, Silvan

I knew what you were referring to. Homer then says "what's a jib?"
Frank
don't the new episodes suck?
snipped-for-privacy@earthlinknospam.net says...

Yep, live in AZ, we just changed time from Pacific Daylight time to Mountain Standard time. One of the most civil things AZ after having moved here from TX -- no messing with the clocks-- mechanical, electronic, or biological. I love it.
Of course, some the radio programs switch times, but that's no big deal.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 14:42:05 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

I get up a little before first light, regardless of what the clocks say.
The rest of the day is divided according to:
Before Breakfast. Breakfast. Coffee Break. Lunch. Afternoon Break. Dinner. After Dinner. Bedtime.
On Mon, 27 Oct 2003 11:08:55 GMT, Tom Watson

<snip>
If you were here, you would wake up some morning in late April and not go to bed until August. :-)
Luigi Replace "no" with "yk" twice in reply address for real email address
Relevance, eh?
I remember those croquet games and barbeques after getting off an afternoon shift up in Alaska.
Whining aside, even Alaska goes daylight so as not to change the time difference between itself and businesses in other states which do.

Futility in what? What exactly are you unable to do?
For more info on Daylight Saving Time (not SAVINGS!) see:
http://webexhibits.org/daylightsaving/index.html
Embargo changes
During the Arab-Israeli War in October 1973, Middle East members of OPEC issued an embargo against the sale of crude oil to Israel's Western allies. In the United States, gasoline became scarce and prices jumped 40 percent, crimping the American economy. Following the 1973 Arab Oil Embargo, Congress put most of the nation on extended Daylight Saving Time for two years in hopes of saving additional energy. This experiment worked, but Congress did not continue the experiment in 1975 because of opposition -- mostly from the farming states.
In 1974, Daylight Saving Time lasted ten months and lasted for eight months in 1975, rather than the normal six months (then, May to October). The U.S. Department of Transportation -- which has jurisdiction over Daylight Saving Time in the U.S. -- studied the results of the experiment. It concluded:
Daylight Saving Time saves energy. Based on consumption figures for 1974 and 1975, The Department of Transportation says observing Daylight Saving Time in March and April saved the equivalent in energy of 10,000 barrels of oil each day -- a total of 600,000 barrels in each of those two years.
Daylight Saving Time saves lives and prevents traffic injuries. The earlier Daylight Saving Time allowed more people to travel home from work and school in daylight, which is much safer than darkness. And except for the months of November through February, Daylight Saving Time does not increase the morning hazard for those going to school and work.
Daylight Saving Time prevents crime. Because people get home from work and school and complete more errands and chores in daylight, Daylight Saving Time also seems to reduce people's exposure to various crimes, which are more common in darkness than in light.
The Department of Transportation estimated that 50 lives were saved and about 2,000 injuries were prevented in March and April of the study years. The department also estimated that $28 million was saved in traffic accident costs.
Larry Bud writes:

Fair enough. I don't care one way or the other about which time we use, but I'd damned sure like it to remain the same. The nonsense of changing clocks twice a year can be readily eliminated by using DT all the time.
If farmers still object, hey, what the hell. As things are going, there will be only 17 or so commercial farmers left in the U.S. in a few years. Not a big voting bloc.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Lots of farmers in Indiana object. The Indiana Farm Bureau says that DST would create a hardship for dairy farms, in that cows need to be milked at the same time every day -- as if cows can tell time.
The Farm Bureau also objects that the hours kept by stores serving farmers would make it difficult for farmers to get there before the stores close, after a day in the fields -- as if a business wouldn't adapt its hours to serve its customers.
There are a lot of valid reasons to object to DST, but they don't include farming.

I only meant that in the sense that I will just be changing everything back in 6 months anyhow. Kind of a joke, you know? I understand why we do it and I don't disagree with it, it is just one more chore that needs to be done.
Cheers Frank
Frank Ketchum responds:

I think the correct term is Sisyphean. Like SIsyphus, ya rolls da boulder up the hill and it rolls right back down again when you get to the top.
A feeling of futility is understandable.

I'm glad you understand it.
Charlie Self "Ain't no man can avoid being born average, but there ain't no man got to be common." Satchel Paige
On 27 Oct 2003 04:38:48 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Larry Bud) wrote:

<much good stuff snipped>
Thanks for the post, Larry...very interesting.
Have a nice week...
Trent
This is one honkin' long thread. A good portion of us lost the hour we gained last Sunday, and then some.
Go figure.
DST was Ben Franklin's idea. You can all get even by cleansing your wallets of all those bills with his picture on them..... you can mail them to me, I'll take care of 'em.
-JBB

"Ben Franklin... the only President of the United States who was *never* President of the United States."
;-)
djb
--
There are no socks in my email address.