OT- daylight savings time

Page 1 of 4
Yes it's time again for our bi-annual exercise in futility. That special time of year when we are all supposed to adjust our clocks by an hour one way or the other. Although lately, I've noticed that a lot of clocks are smart enough to adjust themselves so what happens now is instead of all my clocks being off for an hour until I get around to fixing them, only some of them are off. What fun it is to try to remember which clocks are right, which are wrong, and how do I set that f*#%ing clock on the stove again?
If any of you don't know what I am talking about, consider yourself lucky.
Frank
yep, my problem is the alarm system. about 35 keystrokes (in the proper order) just to move the hour BACK one.
BRuce
Frank Ketchum wrote:

--
---

BRuce

Boy, I'm glad I live in Indiana, where we don't change time. We stay on Eastern Standard all year.

On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 15:23:37 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

Most of Indiana does change.
Have a nice week...
Trent
Wrong--most of Indiana doesn't change! Some counties near Chicago are on Central time, and some in the southern part go on EDT but the rest of this state seems proud of the fact that they are so out of step with the rest of the US. The progressive element in the state continues to try to get DST time invoked but the natives resist any change at all.

That's because effectively, we're already on Daylight time, all the time, and most of us don't discern any benefit from changing things. Astronomically speaking, Indiana belongs in the Central time zone, not the Eastern, thus being on permanent EST is functionally equivalent to having DST year-round anyway. Our clocks are nearly an hour ahead of the sun as it is; if we were on EDT in the summer, they'd be almost two hours out of sync.
Only two options make any sense: go back to the Central time zone (where we used to be) and go on CDT with the rest of the Central zone (as we used to), or keep the status quo.
Me, I like not having to change the clocks twice a year.

You have no idea what you're talking about.
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:39:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

I wish I didn't hafta either.
Here's some good reading...
http://www.mccsc.edu/time.html#WHAT
Have a nice week...
Trent
On Sun, 26 Oct 2003 18:18:34 GMT, "Wayne Weber"

I wasn't talking about time zones, Wayne.
Have a nice week...
Trent

[snip]
Oh, I get it now -- you're picking nits again. _Of_course_ it changes: it's 9:58 pm as I write this, and in a minute it's gonna be 9:59 pm. How clever of you. Just like my kids, except they outgrew that sort of jokes around age six.
OTOH, if you weren't picking nits again... you're wrong.
There are a couple of states where people pulled their heads out and scrapped this daylight savings crap. How do you save daylight anyway, in a bottle?

Of course, you only borrow it from the beginning of the day. I'll bet the people who are pushing for us (Indiana) to go on DST have never had to try to get a little kid to go to sleep when it's still light outside at 9 pm.

CW wrote:

Please post that list so I may incorporate it into my retirement planning file!
Seriously.
I think there are only two. Arizona is one. Don't know what the other one is.

Arizona is one and the part of Indiana that is not close to Chicago is the other. The effect is that Indiana has two time zones when Chicago is on CST and one when Chicago is on CDT.
--

FF

In

from: http://tf.nist.gov/general/daylightsavingtime.html
"Daylight Saving Time, for the U.S. and its territories, is NOT observed in Hawaii, American Samoa, Guam, Puerto Rico, the Virgin Islands, the Eastern Time Zone portion of the State of Indiana, and by most of Arizona (with the exception of the Navajo Indian Reservation in Arizona)."
I was close. Three states, not two.

in
the
In

Close enough. I'll send you a cigar. ;)
I quit smoking about a year ago.

Arizona, outside of the Navajo Nation, or inside the Hopi Reservation inside the Navajo nation.
Most of Indiana.
I think we should do away with DLST, I am sick and tired of loosing the hour every Spring.

my
of
lucky.