OT dangerous dogs

Page 9 of 10

Your concern is understood and justified - not that you should _have_ to justify it. No reason not to take you at your word that the dog is a potential threat, and no reason you should have to lock yourself into your yard because of it.
Dogs do unpredictable things. Mean dogs can do predictable things. I'd really bypass the whole asking ahead of time thing, because it'd possibly make it look like you were just waiting for a chance to have an excuse to shoot it.

One thing I do _not_ recommend is opining like Dave, but that goes without saying.
Having been "in the business" until a few years ago, I can tell you that you will have to substantiate the threat and also answer the question on teasing. This because, by nature, dogs defend a territory; they do not seek to acquire it at others' expense. It is far more common to discover aggression on the part of people - notice the replies - than dogs.
You need to determine the local ordinances on dogs. Leash laws are common, and simply getting the dog picked up a couple of times can result in issuance of a confine or destroy order. If you can't convince your neighbor to control the dog, bring in the persuasive power of the boys in blue or brown. If the dog is aggressive to them, he will suffer the consequences.
Worst thing you can do is shoot the dog, especially if there are no bite marks on a human.

How so? Guy asked for opinions. Don't like mine? Feel free to killfile me.

Which business, exactly?

And all dogs are the same in this regard?

Sorry if you take it as aggressive that I'm offended by the idea that _I_ should have to fence my property to control someone else's problem animal. Further, pointing the blame at the kids, without finding anything out about the situation, is asinine.

That's a great idea, let's just call 911 and wait for someone to show up. Hopefull the kid will still be recognizable by the time they arrive.

So I'm supposed to wait for the dog do bite my kid _before_ I do anything? Why, exactly?
Dave Hinz wrote:

I just don't understand how this one got going. The frigging dog hasn't done anything. The guy doesn't like the dog, but the dog hasn't threatened his kids, who are afraid of the animal. His yard has a low fence, but he said nothing about the dog coming to the fence, threatening the kids, etc.
Yet about half you guys are up in arms, ready to blow the mutt away.
Ridiculous.
I do like the idea of the squirter with ammonia, or the pepper spray. Non-lethal, but effective. Screw up and hit one of your own kids and you have tears instead of blood.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 16:09:01 -0800, Charlie Self wrote:

Sorry charlie, but the discussion was about what to do if the dog did threaten the kids.
And I'm not a dog hater, I still miss our last one that died of cancer several years ago. But kids come before dogs.
And in that situation, I'd rather "blow away" the idiot that let his dog run free (if urban) but that would not be an immediate solution :-).

it didn't happen yet, it was just growling and not attacking, and
"he wants to know the legalities"
he doesn't state that he wants to know what is ethically right, but what is his legal rights. the only way he can do that is ask the police/da in his locality. there are few of us here in that same area, if any, so asking on usenet to strangers located around the world is ridiculous.
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 10:34:08 -0700, Charles Spitzer wrote:

threatened his kids. And I agree that a threat has to be more than a growl.
But I think we've all covered every angle on this discussion. Including one or two posters that actually responded to the original question :-).
We had a hybrid wolf that roamed where I live - a senior citizen mobile home park. It took the local pound over three years to catch her, even after someone got bit. And when they caught her, they shot her. It would have saved a lot of little old ladies a lot of fear, and the taxpayers a lot of money, if the park owner had just shot her in the beginning as he threatened to do.
BTW, there was a wolf sanctuary nearby that had offered to take the animal, a much better solution. But the pound people were so frustrated by their failure that they didn't want to take the chance that she would escape and return.

Urban or not, they should not run free. I've seen Lassie and Rinty pack up with FiFi and go after sheep and cattle. Domestic dogs running free will pack up and do a whole lot more damage than the neighbor's Rottie. Wild dogs - wolf, coyote, etc. - tend to avoid us, the domestics in a pack don't.

Maybe we should define "threatening". I say if a dog gets within a 10 foot circle around a person and barks in a menacing way, it's a threat. Now can argue about whether nine or eleven feet would be more appropriate.

Yeah, it seems that this discussion is both ignoring and confirming that! If it's a matter of stopping an imminent threat, the dog is the appropriate target. If the shooting is intended to be preventative, the owner may be the better target (but of another action, not of deadly force!). Nine times out of ten, a mean dog will become docile with a new owner, but a new replacement dog bought by the same owner will be mean. (No, I have no data to back up this totally unsubstantiated opinion.)

Why would he bring in UPS?
B.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:44:30 -0500, "Buddy Matlosz"

Nah. He meant fascists.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Correct. The dog owner should pay for your fence, any price level, at your request, if he insists on letting his vermin run free. And I'm not kidding.
Paul Brumman (in FU4ff.19702$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.usenetserver.com) said:
| We had some high profile dog incidents in the neighboring county. I | have two kids, 6 and 2, and am wondering. If, let's say, a | neighbor's dog wanders in our yard and starts growling at my | children, in a threatening manner, would it be legal to just take | my trusty SKS and shoot the dog wile it is trespassing on my | property? That has not happened, but my neighbors two houses over | keep a dog that I do not like and I am a little concerned. Waht to | know the legalities. I am near El Paso, TX.
Paul...
IANAL. Check with local authorities concerning legalities. If a dog came on my place and only /acted/ threatening I think I'd be inclined to load up a SuperSoaker with household ammonia and let him have it. A second incident would merit pepper spray. Both are non-lethal and effective persuaders.
Simply not liking a critter (with any number of legs) isn't justification for killing or maiming. I suspect you don't really need to be told that.
On the other hand, I doubt there are many who'd find fault with you for dispatching any critter (of any species) on the spot if it was abusing a member of your family.
Paul Brumman wrote:

It's an odd question for your first post to this news group.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA

their territory and have no reason to be defensive. You can shoot a person who is about to attack your child; certainly a dog in your yard.
However, be prepared for a lawsuit, a criminal investigation and so on. It would be nice if you had no other reason to shoot (such as you have warned your neighbor about what would happen if he didn't clean up after his dog...) and some witnesses.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 19:31:49 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, snipped-for-privacy@tx.net (Paul Brumman) quickly quoth:

Don't call the cops, call the local DA to see if he would charge you for it. Laws, cops, judges, and DAs all can have differing ideas, but it's the DA who either pursues it or not. He has the last word.
-- Save the Endangered ROAD NARROWS! -|- www.diversify.com Ban SUVs today! -|- Full Service Websites
ROTFL So tell me, are you Wandas husband? How long until this thread is crossposted AUK? Need to change the name of this group to rec.troutpond. completly clueless
Let me 'splain it this way. Assuming you live inside of town and discharged a firearm in my neighborhood you would have to worry about me. I damned well would call the police.
No I am not a bleeding heart, anti-gun liberal. I have two handguns, four shotguns and a couple of rifles in a safe in the next room. I am also a bow-hunter. Firing a weapon inside of town is not only dangerous, it leads to the kind of incidents that escalate into tragedy. One of my old school mates was treated to a new hip at age 14 because of a poorly aimed shot and a ricochet.
More food for thought. My wife just finished jury duty. It involved a gentleman who perceived he was being harrased by three neighborhood boys (ages 12 - 15) who never even entered his yard (a 2-acre lot). He walked out on his porch, laid a handgun on the rail and delivered a verbal threat. He was convicted of assualt - one count for each of three boys. Sentencing hearing is pending and he can receive 8 or more months for each count. With the violent nature of our society, gun use is under increasing scrutiny. I would like to keep mine.
Think! RonB

Who ya talkin' to, Ron? You didn't give any context or quoting to tell us.