OT dangerous dogs

Page 7 of 10

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 14:09:52 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Probably more precisely statism: The idea that all benefits derive from the government and are dispensed or withdrawn at the whim and discretion of the government. In a statist government, there are no such things as "rights" and certainly not "inalienable rights". Everything is a privilege that can be given or taken away based upon expediency for the government. Fascism and communism are two instances of rampant statism.
One of the reasons that the "modern" idea of the constitution as a "living" document is so dangerous is that this approach promotes statism. The idea that the constitution means whatever is expedient at the time rather than what it states in clear language allows statist judges to make decisions based upon their feelings and beliefs, not upon what the constitution actually states as limits on the government.

RE: Subject
Way back when, would shoot any dog on my property and any cat more than 1/4 mile from my neighbor's barn.
Worked back then, probably still does.
SFWIW, watched a guy shoot a pair of Black and Tans he had just paid $500 for, because they chased rabbits.
Today that pair would probably cost $2,500, but the guy would still shoot them if they chased rabbits.
Lew

Felons have no rights.

Wrong. They lose some rights, retain others, and gain still others.

For shooting a dog? Not on *my* planet.

You "question the wisdom" of using a gun to defend one's kids from a dangerous dog? Wow. Hope you don't have any. Kids or guns. Either one.

Bzzzzt! Thanks for playing. Owning a gun is a *right*, not a privilege.
--
Regards,

REad more carefully. He didn't say that. He said he many times questioned the wisdom of a guy with a gun. Hard to disagree with that! I also many times question the wisdom of a guy with a keyboard!

I think you are right here, although I think lots of people get their panties in a wad about the semantics when there is no underlying disagreement on the substance.

I'd estimate that 1 out of 3 times the local paper has a story about a vicious dog attack, the cops shoot the animal right on the spot. The real problem is likely to be the use of a gun in certain surroundings. But, as Miller said, it might come down to a choice of having maimed or dead kids, or being legally safe.
Paul, Be sure that the dogs are a real threat before you shoot them. I own german shepherds and they are docile pets.. But some people have a bad image of GSD's and I believe a gun happy parent could be capable of shooting them if they ever got out of the yard. Be a good neighbor and try to locate the owners. Let them know that their dogs are showing agression.
Just remember that these things can escalate out of control. The owner of these dogs might be similarly armed.

Don't call law enforcement after _you_ have broken the law, and don't tell them what contempt you have for the law in question.
Though I hate the term, the shooter sacrifices all "moral authority" when he presumes a danger for which there is no confirmation. He also loses any sympathy he might have had from the authorities when he begins his lecture on how children are more precious than any dog.
Check the heat of the responses so far, think of how little has actually been said, and then remember that the officer that answers your single complaint has heard it all more times than there are responses in this thread.

It's likely that he'd be yelled at for even having the gun out in a typical tightly arranged neighborhood.
Dave Hinz wrote:

I can't either. His neighbor has a dog he doesn't like. He doesn't state why, but postulates some incidents from unrelated dogs...at least as far as he covers it. He has two kids. OK. If the dog comes in the yard and threatens the kids, shoot it. But so far, he has two kids and a neighbor's dog he doesn't like and no incident at all, just a question.
Let him call the local cops and postulate the same question. Certainly, I'd prefer shooting a dog to having my kids mauled, but so far he has no established justification, at least so far as he states, for even worrying about the dog entering his yard, never mind threatening his kids.
It probably will differ in Texas from, say, NY or CT, or RI or similar places where pistol licenses are required just to own a pistol.

If he *did* cap the dog, it would make me very happy and I'd congratulate him. But, in terms of aggravation and paperwork, he'd be better off calling animal control and *telling* them he's just about mad enough to shoot a habitual stray. That tends to motivate the dog non-catchers. If that doesn't work, he should call the cops and repeat the threat. They cannot bother you for simply saying you're going to do it. But, they may be personally acquainted with the dog non-cathcer and be able to better motivate him to get off his fat ass and enforce the dog laws.
Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 7:47pm (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net (DaveHinz) pretty well covered it: <snip> it's never ethically wrong to value your kids over a threatening dog.
I'd keep an eye on my kids while they were outside. I'd also say a shotgun, about #4 buckshot, no rifle - better chance of a hit, and less carryiing range, and penetration. No single shot, you may need an immediate second shot.
If the guy's curious about the "legality" of it all, he needs to ask locally, and ask somone who would actually be qualified to give a pertinent answer. I live in NC, and have no idea how "legal" it'd be. Might be a good idea to tell some authority he's worried, just to have it on record, if he ever does have to take action. That's called PYA.
Me, a dog came in my yard growling at my kid(s), I'd be out there with a loaded shotgun, holler at it to git, if it kept moving, it'd stop moving. That's the point I'd be sure to contact the local law. Might also be tempted to sue the dog owner.
But, that's just me. I'm a people person.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
(Dave Hinz)
If the guy's curious about the "legality" of it all, he needs to ask locally, and ask somone who would actually be qualified to give a pertinent answer.
================= I'm sort of wondering why so many people use an attorney when they buy a house, but behave like they've been lobotomized later when they can't think of who to call for an opinion on local laws. So, they come here. WTF??? The real estate attorney may not know the answer, but they'll definitely be able to refer to an attorney who does.
Asking the cops often just gets you a lecture and "You'd better not".
I realize that Texas might be different, and you might be in a rural location where this doesn't apply, but many jurisdictions frown upon people firing weapons in populated areas (say, around 6 and 2 year olds). If the dog is close enough to be threatening to the kids, I think it would be too close to the kids to fire a weapon at. IMHO.
--
Clint
"Paul Brumman" < snipped-for-privacy@tx.net> wrote in message

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to use your pointy stick.
Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 3:20pm snipped-for-privacy@velocity.net (JerryS.) doth sayeth: Sounds like the perfect opportunity to use your pointy stick.
Exactly.
Tied to the barrel of your shotgun.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy stick.
Thu, Nov 17, 2005, 8:39pm (EST-1) snipped-for-privacy@pobox.com (KevinCraig) doth elucidate: He said he's got an SKS; most models come with a big pointy thing that folds back under the barrel; when unfurled, the rifle becomes a pointy stick.
Crap, now even pointy sticks have gotten technical.
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.

Ah, but if it's Chinese, then that makes it unimportable. The bayonet is just fine on a Russian or Yugo SKS,but on the Chinese ones it's evil.
Good to know that we're protected from all those drive-by bayonetings we keep hearing about.