OT dangerous dogs

Page 2 of 10

Like hell. As Dave said, my kids' safety outweighs the neighbor's dog. You do what you have to, to make sure your kids are safe. Worry about the legal niceties later, after their safety is assured.
--
Regards,
"Worry about the legal niceties later, after their safety is assured."....

For shooting a DOG? Where the hell do you live? I sure wouldn't want to be there.

So you would have my kids mauled while I stand by watching it. Lovely.

Yes. You wouldn't want someone who doesn't know what they're doing, using deadly force. I guess those people get to dial 911 and wait, and hope for the best.

And shooting a dog is wrong in your mind, when it's attacking your family? If not, then why did you bother to respond as you did?

You bet your sweet ass. Every hear of animal cruelty? IN the OP situation, the dog was GROWLING at the kids. IMHO a good attorney would argue that growling did not constitute an iminent danger. If the dog were ATTACKING - no problem.
Seems like a ridiculous situation but unless you live in the boonies of cow country you better have a damn good reason to shoot ANYTHING or you will go to jail or at least get sued by the animal's owner.

What an idiotic comment - needs no response.

Frankly, the way most people shoot, and especially under a pressure situation - they'd probably miss the dog and hit the kids. I repeat - if the dog is standing there growling - you have no right to shoot it. And if it's a rapidly moving target running towards your kids - you have just as good a chance at hitting your kids.
Rambo might make the shot - doubt about too may people in real life.

In Texas they shoot the neighbor if he growls at them.
Vic Baron wrote:

...and that's leaving out the part where you
1) Notice the dog 2) Run inside to get yer gun 3) Find the key (you keep your guns locked up, right?) 4) Unlock the case 5) Find the bullets 6) Load the gun 7) Run back outside 8) Aim 9) Kaboom
...with an optional step 10 of shouting 'Yee Haw!'.
I think the OP was asking valid questions (even if it was to a COMPLETELY inappropriate newsgroup). If you (not you specifically, Vic) read between the lines, I kinda think the OP was asking about other ways that this might be handled.
-John in NH
You make a very good case for being armed at all times.

He does, but I can be armed in say 30-45 seconds when I'm at home, so I'm OK with that delay.

Nothing cruel about a dog going from threatening my kids, to dead, in a few seconds. You'd rather I let my kids get bit, would you? Hell of a nice guy you are.

If a dog is making what I think is a threatening move towards my kids, the dog will die. The end.

Yes, I do. And what's the problem with that?

Go ahead and try. I want a jury.

You say above it's only ok if the dog has started to actually attack. I'm not going to wait.

What specifically is your direct personal experience with firearms? I have a guess: "none at all". How right am I?

You have no idea of my qualifications as a marksman, my training, or my equipment.

Addressing only the cruelty aspect here: If a mosquito is annoying you and waving it away repeatedly with your hand is ineffective, please describe what you might do next?
Go find someone else to fight with Dave...I stand by what I said.
Pull a trigger only if you are willing to be fully responsible for whatever happens....same thing goes for driving a car, owning a dog, etc.
TMT

That's fine, you can be wrong all you want.

No shit.

How in the world do you get from "I value my kids over a threatening dog" into some sort of abandonment of personal responsibility?
Point of correction, Owning a gun is a RIGHT.

Actually owning a gun is a PRIVILEDGE.
If it were a RIGHT, felons and children would be allowed to own them.
TMT
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Not so. Felons usually lose their rights to vote and children do not have a right to vote.
My point exactly....a priviledge can be taken from you..a right cannot.
Guns are regulated as to who can have them....just like whether or not you are allowed to drive a car.
Both priviledges come with responsibilites. To drive a car you require insurance. To shoot a gun requires the shooter to be responsible from a financial and civil standpoint. If you doubt this, check into what happens when you use either product incorrectly and someone is hurt or killed.
TMT

Wrong yet again...
--
Regards,
Too_Many_Tools wrote:

So life and liberty are privileges, too? After all, they can be taken from you.
So all we have are privileges then, no rights at all. Hmmm...where is my copy of the Bill of Privileges?
--
Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

Guess again, bucko. "... the RIGHT of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be abridged." [my emphasis]

Wrong again. You might as well claim that voting is a privilege, because if it were a right, felons and children would be allowed to vote.
--
Regards,
Voting is a privilege as is gun ownership and having a driving license.