OT dangerous dogs

Page 1 of 10

We had some high profile dog incidents in the neighboring county. I have two kids, 6 and 2, and am wondering. If, let's say, a neighbor's dog wanders in our yard and starts growling at my children, in a threatening manner, would it be legal to just take my trusty SKS and shoot the dog wile it is trespassing on my property? That has not happened, but my neighbors two houses over keep a dog that I do not like and I am a little concerned. Waht to know the legalities. I am near El Paso, TX.
thx pb

call your local police and ask them. we're not there.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 12:38:27 -0700, Charles Spitzer

That's strange advice. If an animal threatens my kids, legality and whatever else doesn't enter into it. You stop the threat, period. It keeps coming up here, but "The 3 S's" apply in this case - shoot, shovel, and shutup. There can be no legality or subtle whatever going on here, my kids outweigh the neighbor's dog, period.
Besides - he's in Texas. If he were in California or some new-england state, people might get pissy about bang-bang noises. But, regardless of where you are, it's never ethically wrong to value your kids over a threatening dog.
Dave Hinz wrote:

OP didn't ask about a perceived ethical problem and from the tone I have no doubt he'll take action as seems appropriate. He asked about the legality of that action (albeit in a funny place to ask for ng topic and that as Charley says, "we ain't there" so he would be better advised to ask in his local jurisdiction what rules he's playing under...

I just can't see why there's even a question.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:01:01 +0000, Dave Hinz wrote:

Once again I find myself agreeiong with Dave :-).
In fact, I wouldn't "shoot, shovel, and shut up", if I knew the owner. I'd take the carcass down to him and tell him he owed me for the bullet!
Larry Blanchard wrote:
<snip>

Of course, that could be a problem: he might just give you that bullet. Dog owners can be pretty sentimental about their dogs.
IMO, if you let it go at all (i.e., the situation didn't demand that you rush to get your gun the very first incident), then maybe the cooler thing to do is talk to the owner and let him know how you feel, before you kill his pet.
I personally would fault no one for killing anything, man or beast, who threatened his small children. But if you take a pass, then why not use that moratorium to resolve the situation peacefully? And if the neighbor won't cooperate, by all means include the police in the dialogue: they're often helpful that way, and you've covered your legal bases in doing so.
After all, even if you could get rid of the dog with a bullet, why would you want to live with a new and much more dangerous threat not only to your kids but to you and anyone else on your property: a man whose loved one has been killed by you and is bent on revenge?
Don't go there if you can help it.
Signed, Achilles

What I've not read in any reply, but may have missed, is the recommendation for the OP to educate his children clearly and often about how to treat and behave around dogs - be it the neighbor's questionable mutt or the family Peekapoo.
Most dog bites aren't by pit bulls, or any of the other breeds deemed "dangerous", but by the labradors and retrievers (read the dog bite stats a couple months back but don't feel like pulling it up at the moment). The scary dog mauling stories make the news because they're so horrendous and INFREQUENT. What you don't hear about are the every day bites by Gramma Nell's nice little Yorkie, or the family's Golden who was startled by the 2 year old jumping on it while it was sleeping.
Children need to be educated on how to approach and behave in the company of all dogs. They need to be told to never approach a dog without the owner's permission. They need to be cautioned about any specific dogs the parent suspects as being a potential danger to quietly leave the area and find an adult to asses the situation.
--
Owen Lowe
The Fly-by-Night Copper Company
JOAT Just pretend I'm not here. That's what I'm doing.
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 15:09:45 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (J T) wrote:

Had an aunt whose family had one of those chihuahuas (or as Les Nesman used to say" Chi-hooa-hooas"). When I encountered it, it was pretty old, but still mean as all get out. The stupid thing would go out of its way to come up to you and bite you -- of course, as I said, it was old, so it had no teeth -- it pretty much would try to gum you to death. Just evil, evil little mutts. IMO of course.

I hate it when that happens

True, but some dogs will attack when they see a motion they believe is threatening, even from a distance where a child's activity is none of anyone's business. Same as a cat that'll tear across a yard to chase down a leaf blowing across the lawn because he likes the sound it makes. So, educate the kids, but that only takes care of the dogs which are less reprehensible than the nastiest ones. The spectrum is a short one.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Never hurts to know what the law actually says in a situation one envisions as being possible to occur. "The law" isn't always what seems to make sense...

whilst it may be ethically justified, can you ensure that the OP will ensure that the bullet won't go through the dog and the next house, especially if the next house may only be 4' away like in some developments? there's a lot of places that don't allow shooting inside city limits.
again, we don't know the circumstances, the location, the environment, the surroundings. his local police do.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:18:50 -0700, Charles Spitzer wrote:

Yep - it's called Hydra-Shok.

From an SKS?
--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:18:59 GMT, Lawrence Wasserman

Sure, 7.62x39 is available with dozens of options for loads.
On Thu, 17 Nov 2005 13:18:50 -0700, Charles Spitzer

What does that have to do with the question of if it's legal to shoot a dog that't threatening my kids? Obviously a negligently placed bullet is a problem, but that's completely independant of the situation.

OK... seems like just asking for trouble, but whatever.

A question will provide your answer: Can you envision telling the cops a dog was threatening your kids, but it was sitting nice & still so you could take a shot that you knew wouldn't travel into a neighbor's window?