OT - Damn ...

You figger it was shellac, or poly?

Regards, Tom.

Thos. J. Watson - Cabinetmaker

Tom Watson

"charlieb" wrote

For some reason my old German grandmother would always quote and "old saying" to the effect that "the devil is chasing his wife around a stump with a broomstick" when the sun was shining on one side of the street, and it was raining on the other.

I've often wondered where she got that saying.

Reply to
Swingman

She has black hair, probably "Beach Tar". LOL

Reply to
Leon

I'd like to see the strip chart data for that day... :)

Like the comments on the forecasters and severe weather, the saw of "Here's the toughest place on the planet to forecast" is thrown about everywhere as well. Don't know any one place has a lock certainly, lots of differing challenges in many places owing to terrain and all...

Even E TN and W VA are difficult to forecast accurately even though not much severe weather but because a minor change in steering currents can change a system from going up one or the other side of the Cumberlands or the Blue Ridge and that can make all the difference in the world in what it does...

Somebody else mentioned lake effects (used to travel to Wickliffe area regularly in previous life on business--I swear I could show up on 4July weekend and it would've snowed just for me :) ); there are all kinds of coastal/mountain effects along west coast, etc., etc., etc., ...

Reply to
dpb

I commented earlier on hoping for Dolly to get far enough west to eventually do us some good -- well, Dolly was pretty much a dud here w/ only a few sprinkles, and it's too early to see if Eddie will manage to get an Gulf moisture our way, but we got a good inch last night out of

20% chances w/ only a tolerable amount of wind and lumpy rain so we're feeling/looking much better this morning... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

I believe that. There are a lot of places in Texas that face extreme temps, but not too many that go both ways as the Dallas area.

The unofficial temps over the weekend I saw on the 24 hour weather channel was 107. Claims are that it was actually a balmy 104.

In just a few short months they will be facing ice and snow, sometimes a helluva lot of it, and then in the spring heavy rains and flooding.

They can have it.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

You're looking for info in all the wrong places. Watch the commodity traders and the price of oil and refined products. Somehow they seem to know.......

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

Yep, along w/ Diamond...

--

Reply to
dpb

I thought it would be obvious, but I guess I should have put a grin on that post.

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Frank Boettcher wrote: ...

No, the don't really know -- they make educated guesses depending on the same basic information and some more detailed knowledge than the average joe of where facilities are located wrt actual storm tracks...but it's still a play on odds; some of which are self-fulfilling if potential is large.

Same as when the Iranians rattle or Israelis talk back or insurgents in Nigeria do something it upsets the status quo...

Reply to
dpb

Diamond?

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I've learned over the years on Usenet, when in doubt, add the ;-) ;-)

Reply to
FrozenNorth

Diamond Power...they made control rod drives/mechanisms. A Bailey susidiary (which of course was B&W). All of this assuming we're both talking BMCo, of course... :)

I was B&W NPGD at the time; your Bailey connection??? (This is going back a _looonnng_ time here... :) )

--

Reply to
dpb

Frank Boettcher wrote: ...

Suppose it shoulda' been, sorry Frank...

--

Reply to
dpb

Small bloody world.

Started my career at National Carbon at "Factory A" in Lakewood.

In addition to being the founding location for National Carbon which later became UCC, it is where the bmade graphite control rods as well as the interlocking logs that accepted the rods.

They were a customer for electrical control hardware.

This would have been 70's time frame.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Lew Hodgett wrote: ...

and somewhat later were the operating contractor for ORNL and the other DOE facilities in Oak Ridge when I left B&W for SAI in Oak Ridge...

BMCo was the designated supplier by B&W corporate for all B&W NPGD reactor controls at the time, ergo Diamond became the drives vendor by edict from BMCo passing on the torch... :)

... I was B&W (Lynchburg) from 68-78; the BMCo interaction was mostly early mid-70s striving to bring order from chaos as BMCO tried to quantify instrumentation error component of setpoint/trip error limits to NRC for initial Oconee-class reactor power tests/licensing limits.

_Most_ glad when NPGD bought the corporate Citation to make the commute instead of the turbo-prop... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Cynical cuss aren't you.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

High ranking stature, honestly obtained ...

Reply to
Swingman