OT Dad passed away

A few weeks ago, I posted that my Dad was dying. The posts and email from this NG was not only comforting, but also provided a great sense of sharing. Dad spent the last few days in and out of "it"...mostly out.. He had no pain and that was our main concern. I am making a box for his ashes. Here in New Zealand, we have a sacred tree called "Totara". Looks like Padauk but is VERY rot resistant. I scrounged some from our old house. I think he'd like it...
Again, thank you for the posts and email...they will not be soon forgotten.
Cheers John
--
Rose Cottage Woodworks
www.rosecottageinn.co.nz/woodworks
John Gilham/Patsy Scott wrote:

John & Patsy,
My condolences to you and your family.
When my father passed away, we placed in his casket with him several items. Don't know if that is appropriate for you in a box of your Dad's ashes, but maybe. Perhaps you could get fancy and include a separate drawer, or attach items to the outside. I'm sure you can come up with small items that have meaning for your Dad. We included his favorite hammer and tape measure and most importantly ;^) a bottle of beer. That tape measure was always about his belt while he was alive, and well worn because of it. It was fitting for us that he has these items with him forever. Of course there are many of his tools that remain with us. Everytime I use one of his tools, I think of him.
Steve
I lost my dad about 4 years ago. The pain will get easier to bear with time. Prayer and faith helped me a lot. I still want to call him from time to time and catch myself dialing the phone. My prayers are with you and I hope healing comes quickly for you.
--
Dennis W. Ewing Sr
210/653-1276
John Gilham/Patsy Scott wrote:

I probably wasn't one who reponded earlier but I will now. I'm very sorry for your loss. My father is getting on up there in years and I know he isn't going to last forever; yet he has always been there for me. I can't imagine what it must feel like to realize he's no longer there. You have my complete sympathy.
I know from a near death experience that the actual passing from life to death is a painless, actually quite comfortable, thing. I hope that gives you some comfort.
--
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

snipped-for-privacy@XXXXcarolina.rr.com

sharing.
Here
forgotten.
I didn't see your original post, John. Condolences to you and your family.
I use some of my late father's tools daily. He died in 1999, and he had inherited tools from his father, grandfather, and brother. Every time I pick one up, I feel a sort of 'responsibility' not to muck up the joint, or the cut, or whatever. I still do, of course, but then Dad did too.
-- Conehead Tasmania
I'm sorry for your loss. I lost my father in 1987, and still think of him most days. I'm sure you'll have many good memories.
My father wasn't a woodworker as such, but an all-around DIY handyman "Mr. Fixit" type. He had been a car mechanic for a large part of his working life, so had accumulated quite a collection of both automotive & "happy homeowner" tools. I inherited them, and ended up with MANY duplicates, as I had already acquired my own collection of such tools. When I began to thin out my collection of tools, I was pleased that, when given a choice, my sons usually preferred to take the tools that had been used by my father, rather than my newer ones!

from
Padauk
think
On Wed, 09 Jun 2004 14:46:59 +1200, John Gilham/Patsy Scott wrote:

Dad passed away on Sept 2, 2000. He's not really gone as I think about him every day and can hear one of his many (usually crusty) sayings when the proper circumstance presents itself.
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw

Condolences to you and your family, John. Sounds like your dad left a great legacy in you.
My dad passed in 1987, just a few months after his first grandson was born, and there's not a day doesn't go by that I don't think of him, especially when I'm in the shop. He never got to know his grandson as a young man, but I think he'd be proud to see his tools being used by the third generation.
/Vic
On Wed, 9 Jun 2004 14:46:59 +1200, "John Gilham/Patsy Scott"

My condolences, John. Losing a parent is one of the hardest things we have to do in life.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Sorry to hear about that. My condolences to you and your family.

I love to avoid my neighbors.