OT: Cutting Aluminum Stock

Page 2 of 2
On Fri, 16 Apr 2010 11:24:29 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

...I use a 60 tooth Tenryu on a 10" Makita chop saw that goes with me to jobs...I cut aluminum regularly (thresholds, shower door kits, etc). It took awhile to "get over" the concept, but now I don't hesitate at all. Steel, though...nah, too many broken carbide tips for me...you'll be fine with a good quality blade...keep the feed rate down...
cg
The normal carbide wood cutting saw blade does a fine, safe job cutting non ferrous metal. I've use it for aluminum, copper, and brass. Steel requires a different blade - I've used Tenryu, DML, and Morse. The steel blades work better with a slightly slower RPM, but will work on a worm drive.
The aluminum will still require a bit of filing or sanding, the result is not a smooth cut, but much faster, cleaner, and safer than fiber blades.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

The POS Porter Cable 10" blade that came with my chop saw won't cut wood worth a damn, but it does fine in my table saw for cutting aluminum channel. It's an intimidating operation if you've never done it before, but easy once you try.