OT: Curl up with a book....

And a little to Florida? we've broke a bunch of record low temperatures recently.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

So buy the book "101 more uses for a dead cat" or something like that in their list. Gerry :-)} London, Canada

Reply to
Gerald Miller

H:

Apologies for the belated reply. Good to meet a fellow from the polder lands. Your revelation means my "Han Solo" theory is kaput. However, if anyone ever calls you "Cool Han(d)" or "Slow Han(d), can we switch names?

I've pushed and plodded through some of the scientific work in the former Dutch East Indies by your historical compatriots. Very impressive and disciplined stuff, especially in comparison to other European countries operating in Indo.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in news:F8idnV9fULvK5t_QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Thanks, but I have in the US since 1969 ...

Edward is a good name, so, sure, any time!!

I haven't made a comparative study, but there are indeed studies that the Dutch "invention" of cooperative economics, science and administrative efforts were what gave rise to the DUtch Golden age, mimicked and superseded by other nations somewhat later on.

Grandpa was in the sugar in the Dutch East Indies, Dad an organic chemist in Holland, and after university in Holland, I was a biochemist in the US until last Novemer when I retired.

You're in the LA area?

Best regards from snowy NJ!

Reply to
Han

I will whisper that it is currently experiencing something of an upswing with lasses in on all the vampire rage. If you take the alias, "Who's neckst?" is a muli-purpose line you get for free.

You're right, the discipline and organization in the work speaks for itself.

The Dutch title "Doctorandus" has a sonorous presence all its own.

If biochem left any signal imprint, it was the memory of esters. How entertaining it was putting those molecules through their aromatic transformations.

Yes, along with the current edition of temperature as a good thing. Yesterday, we may have hit 80 in the sun, and the sun didn' see much competition from the clouds except their decorative efforts in later afternoon.

Having exposure to snowy RI and MA, may you find shelter indoors or be on the move outside.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in news:qsudnR9VncE-ct_QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

That's a "Latin" phrase literally meaning he who should earn a docotor's title (PhD, etc.). I did indeed get the PhD.

I have been involved with research dealing with blood, blood vessel wall and platelets (which stop bleeding and cause strokes and heart attacks). Our aims were to find out more about what keeps blood flowing when it should and prevent blood vessel blockages. But I retired ...

I'm not as bothered by it as some are. If I were fitter I'd have been xcountry skiing, but last summer I broke my leg badly, and although healed, it left me a bit scared. Maybe later this PM. There still is a LOT of snow here, and the temp is ~35F, so not bad.

Reply to
Han

H:

You'll like this: "jubilado" is the jubilant Spanish word for a retiree. Instead of using the phrase "senior citizens", Spanish has "personas de la tercera edad" or "persons of the third age". Possibilities do not impel me to find out what any "fourth age" might be....

Here is a page which apparently suggests some change and international variation in the term:

> If biochem left any signal imprint, it was the memory of esters. >> How

Though it may be of remote pertinence to your own work, today brought me a page discussing the controversy about an arguable heart in a dinosaur discovered by a friend. The PDF is temporarily at the URL below. It's free now. Paid access to the journal involved will be required later.

>> You're in the LA area?

We both earned that club badge. I woke up once from an event which revealed my lower leg had apparently acquired a new joint midway. You never remember the pain but I firmly recall the angle seemed neither esthetic nor potentially useful. Don't worry, you'll get better with time. Demands of a vigorous dog often are encouraging.

Een goede gezondheid en met betrekking tot,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

I'm going to snip vigorously ...

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in news:EZ6dnRJlPaZIadnQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

I'm thoroughly enjoying retirement ... :) :)

changes due to the Bologna Accords of 1999.

but I didn't really read more than the abstract.

I fell (7/7), and landed about 2 feet down in nice soft sand, but the foot was at the wrong angle to the leg - both fibula and tibia broken just above the ankle. Got operated on and plated and screwed, and was out of recovery in 3-4 hrs. Almost completely healed now, with apparently full mobility. Lucky me!

Thanks for the Dutch, especially the good health. But "met betrekking tot" means 'in relation to' and begs the question to what?

Reply to
Han

H:

The editor gets all the credit. Hence, so no one can accuse you of hogging the limelight...

SNIP happens.

When we are talking confusion, it's all baloney to me.

If by "crop" you intend that fossilized plant matter has influenced formation of the yet fully uncertain structures some interpret as a heart, that case seems to be gaining support. My bet is there will be a few more rounds before this issue approaches closure.

Chance and natural processes are great at producing psuedofossils and other things easy to wrongly assume have unnatural portent. In example, a vertebrae once found was clearly inscribed "GA" by deposit of manganese dendrites. If you know any sect worshipping the almighty GA, I'll cut you in on the big money.

You've got the right attitude. Few consolations have more savory intelligence than "It could have been a much worse". Next time, stay away from Kryptonite sand.

Well, we have verified proof that my relation to Dutch justifies the word "plodding" in capitals. Like any language you come at slowly with a wet fingertip and dictionary by your side, it's easier to figure out what is said than say anything. But it does makes the girls giggle. And a giggle means you're halfway to finding a volunteer native translator with a sense of humor.

Let's make that "hier is op zoek naar jou", not that it means anything idiomatic in Dutch or approximates the next word.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in news:ecGdnf19LoJYOdjQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

This is getting closer to chat or email, so maybe we should continue this via email I'm at yahoo, and are called opahan. (Opa is sort of like Grandpa in Dutch, or German)

Reply to
Han

"Michael A. Terrell" on Thu, 27 Jan 2011

18:52:02 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Just think how cold it would be, were it _not_ for Global Warming....

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

Well, Florida lost it's grapes over 100 years ago, and now the Orange Groves are slowly bing closed as they freeze and die. The smell of orange blossoms used to hit you not long after you crossed the state borders. Now, most are south of Orlando.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

"Michael A. Terrell" on Mon, 31 Jan 2011

21:34:50 -0500 typed in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

Hmm, maybe it is time to re consider annexing Cuba.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

------------------------------------- The orange groves in SoCal have been history for years being replaced with housing developments and shopping centers.

The almond and pistachio groves are still around in the central valley.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I remember reading that oranges were grown in south Georgia many years ago.

John

Reply to
John

A farmer makes the most money when he raises houses.

John

Reply to
John

In the 1950's, the house where we lived and all the neighbors had wild grapes that they'd make wine out of. In suburban Minneapolis, MN, for whatever that's worth. Apparently they're a perennial, because we had grapes every hear.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

I'm all for that. If we send all the deatbeats, losers & usenet trolls to Havana, the Cubans will head for Europe. :)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Only once. The trees produced for generations, till they froze and died.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

My first trip to Florida was in the mid '60s, and I don't recall any in Georgia, but the scent of Orange Blossoms was overpowering about 15 minutes into Florida. Most of that trip was along US 25, since I-75 was still under construction.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell