OT: Curl up with a book....

Page 1 of 3
and you might die laughing. See:
http://www.abebooks.com/books/weird/index.shtml
Now you can find a volume that will do double duty as both a go(ing)-away gift and next year's Xmas present. And there is both metal and wood content.
Funnier yet, some of the titles I've digested conceal fine scholarship. But "How to Teach Physics to Your Dog" may have it backwards?
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Thanks! I posted the link on my facebook page as "someone else posted this".
--
Best regards
Han

H:
You're welcome. And I like the name. It, amidst other associations, puts the mind to the Hindu deity Hanuman. The tales spun around him are fascinating.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Thanks, Edward, but "Han" is quite a normal nickname for someone named Johan. Definitely not uncommon in the Netherlands. (I am now a US citizen)
--
Best regards
Han

H:
Apologies for the belated reply. Good to meet a fellow from the polder lands. Your revelation means my "Han Solo" theory is kaput. However, if anyone ever calls you "Cool Han(d)" or "Slow Han(d), can we switch names?
I've pushed and plodded through some of the scientific work in the former Dutch East Indies by your historical compatriots. Very impressive and disciplined stuff, especially in comparison to other European countries operating in Indo.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Thanks, but I have in the US since 1969 ...

Edward is a good name, so, sure, any time!!

I haven't made a comparative study, but there are indeed studies that the Dutch "invention" of cooperative economics, science and administrative efforts were what gave rise to the DUtch Golden age, mimicked and superseded by other nations somewhat later on.
Grandpa was in the sugar in the Dutch East Indies, Dad an organic chemist in Holland, and after university in Holland, I was a biochemist in the US until last Novemer when I retired.

You're in the LA area?
Best regards from snowy NJ!
--
Best regards
Han

H:
I will whisper that it is currently experiencing something of an upswing with lasses in on all the vampire rage. If you take the alias, "Who's neckst?" is a muli-purpose line you get for free.

You're right, the discipline and organization in the work speaks for itself.

The Dutch title "Doctorandus" has a sonorous presence all its own.
If biochem left any signal imprint, it was the memory of esters. How entertaining it was putting those molecules through their aromatic transformations.

Yes, along with the current edition of temperature as a good thing. Yesterday, we may have hit 80 in the sun, and the sun didn' see much competition from the clouds except their decorative efforts in later afternoon.

Having exposure to snowy RI and MA, may you find shelter indoors or be on the move outside.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
<snip>

That's a "Latin" phrase literally meaning he who should earn a docotor's title (PhD, etc.). I did indeed get the PhD.

I have been involved with research dealing with blood, blood vessel wall and platelets (which stop bleeding and cause strokes and heart attacks). Our aims were to find out more about what keeps blood flowing when it should and prevent blood vessel blockages. But I retired ...

I'm not as bothered by it as some are. If I were fitter I'd have been xcountry skiing, but last summer I broke my leg badly, and although healed, it left me a bit scared. Maybe later this PM. There still is a LOT of snow here, and the temp is ~35F, so not bad.

--
Best regards
Han

H:
You'll like this: "jubilado" is the jubilant Spanish word for a retiree. Instead of using the phrase "senior citizens", Spanish has "personas de la tercera edad" or "persons of the third age". Possibilities do not impel me to find out what any "fourth age" might be....

Here is a page which apparently suggests some change and international variation in the term:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctorandus

Though it may be of remote pertinence to your own work, today brought me a page discussing the controversy about an arguable heart in a dinosaur discovered by a friend. The PDF is temporarily at the URL below. It's free now. Paid access to the journal involved will be required later.
http://www.stratfit.org/cleland/clelandetal2011heart.pdf

We both earned that club badge. I woke up once from an event which revealed my lower leg had apparently acquired a new joint midway. You never remember the pain but I firmly recall the angle seemed neither esthetic nor potentially useful. Don't worry, you'll get better with time. Demands of a vigorous dog often are encouraging.
Een goede gezondheid en met betrekking tot,
Edward Hennessey
I'm going to snip vigorously ...

<snip>
I'm thoroughly enjoying retirement ... :) :)

Han said:

That confirms my understanding. But I wasn't totally aware of the changes due to the Bologna Accords of 1999.
<snip>

Interesting article. Sounds like that "heart" was more a sort of crop, but I didn't really read more than the abstract.
<snip>

I fell (7/7), and landed about 2 feet down in nice soft sand, but the foot was at the wrong angle to the leg - both fibula and tibia broken just above the ankle. Got operated on and plated and screwed, and was out of recovery in 3-4 hrs. Almost completely healed now, with apparently full mobility. Lucky me!

Thanks for the Dutch, especially the good health. But "met betrekking tot" means 'in relation to' and begs the question to what? <big grin>

--
Best regards
Han

When we are talking confusion, it's all baloney to me.

If by "crop" you intend that fossilized plant matter has influenced formation of the yet fully uncertain structures some interpret as a heart, that case seems to be gaining support. My bet is there will be a few more rounds before this issue approaches closure.
Chance and natural processes are great at producing psuedofossils and other things easy to wrongly assume have unnatural portent. In example, a vertebrae once found was clearly inscribed "GA" by deposit of manganese dendrites. If you know any sect worshipping the almighty GA, I'll cut you in on the big money.

You've got the right attitude. Few consolations have more savory intelligence than "It could have been a much worse". Next time, stay away from Kryptonite sand.

Well, we have verified proof that my relation to Dutch justifies the word "plodding" in capitals. Like any language you come at slowly with a wet fingertip and dictionary by your side, it's easier to figure out what is said than say anything. But it does makes the girls giggle. And a giggle means you're halfway to finding a volunteer native translator with a sense of humor.
Let's make that "hier is op zoek naar jou", not that it means anything idiomatic in Dutch or approximates the next word.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

This is getting closer to chat or email, so maybe we should continue this via email I'm at yahoo, and are called opahan. (Opa is sort of like Grandpa in Dutch, or German)
--
Best regards
Han
Edward Hennessey wrote:

Hey, "Old Tractors, and the Men who love them" isn't a weird book......
--
Steve W.
(\___/)
On 1/25/2011 1:51 PM, Steve W. wrote:

Sounds like a sexist book, no??? (LOL)
Bill
Bill wrote:

Not if you know Roger.... I have signed copies of most of his tractor books. Most are written with easy humor and from a "Here is what I did and why you shouldn't do the same thing" POV
--
Steve W.

I plan to visit the annual LIAR'S FESTIVAL held in Roger's home town of Dannebrog, Nebraska next year if I can. I am not into old tractors because I still have a sore butt from bouncing around on them when I was a kid. However I do appreciate the tools that are needed to restore old tractors and I'll bet Roger has some nice ones.
DL

In fact, I think that's the most interesting collection of books I've ever seen. Far more interesting, informative and entertaining than any bestseller's list or anything of that ilk.

In fact, I think that's the most interesting collection of books I've ever seen. Far more interesting, informative and entertaining than any bestseller's list or anything of that ilk.
Amen.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

SW:
Ever have a word open up for you one day? "Tractor" did that once, ping ponging through local stops at
tract "area," late 15c., "period or lapse of time," from L. tractus "track, course, s pace, duration," lit, "a drawing out or pulling," from stem of trahere "to pull, draw," from PIE base *tragh- "to draw, drag, move" (cf. Slovenian trag "trace, track," M.Ir. tragud "ebb," perhaps with a variant form *dhragh-; see drag). The meaning "stretch of land or water" is first recorded 1550s.
tractable "manageable," c.1500, from L. tractabilis "that may be touched, handled, or managed," from tractare "to handle, manage"
traction 1610s, "a drawing or pulling," from M.L. tractionem (nom. tractio) a drawing" (mid-13c.), noun of action from stem of L. trahere "to pull, draw" (see tract (1)). Sense of "rolling friction of a vehicle" first appears 1825.
before the return trip to
tractor 1856, "something that pulls," earlier used of a quack device consisting of two metal rods which were supposed to relieve {draw out}rheumatism (1798, in full Perkins's metallic tractor), from M.L. tractor, from stem of L. trahere "to pull, draw" (see tract (1)). Sense of "an engine or vehicle for pulling wagons or plows" is first recorded 1901, from earlier traction engine (1859). The meaning "powerful truck for pulling a freight trailer" is first found 1926; tractor-trailer is attested from 1949.
So, tractors make things manageable (tractable) by pulling (traction) them out over time across a space(tract). And, naturally, that's why we have "tractor pulls", though it is a little redundant.
Credit here goes to www.etymonline.com for the root cuttings.
Regards,
Edward Hennessey
On Tue, 25 Jan 2011 22:38:52 -0800, "Edward Hennessey"

The other SW
That sounds like my sis, she just loves all that root word stuff. Also reminded me of one of those power parties when this chick asked what other things I did and I told her and her boy friend that I make solar trackers. About a half hour later she said to someone else that I made solar tractors. I had even explained that they follow the sun, what a da. Boy, if I could plow directly with solar energy I'd be super rich.
SW