OT: Crazy Hummingbirds

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this.
During the past few months we have had several hummingbirds fly into the open garage shop doors and go after the ceiling fluorescent tubes. I'll hear the buzzing as their wings flutter against ceiling and tube and sure enough one of this is hovering like it trying to feed from the bulb. This can go on for 15-20 minutes and they seem oblivious to our presence in the room. About 1/2 the time I'll turn the lights off and they leave. Other times they stick around.
Maybe we need to replace all of those sticky, leaking feeders with 12" Tubes....
RonB

They only hum because they forgot the words.

OOOoooohhhhhhh!
Robatoy wrote:

Or because the words are 'dirty'...
<insert credit to the Smothers brothers here>
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

I had that happen often some 15-20 years ago in our large warehouse, 20' ceilings. And we had motion detectors so they had to be gotten rid of every time before going home. A garden hose and a long straight stream of water would bring them down every time. When their wings get wet they cannot fly. Then we picked them up and set them out on a warm rock where they could sun bathe for a short period until their wings dried out and then they flew away. You could feel their little hearts beating about 2000 bpm.
They must be attracted to UV. Might be the tiny bugs you can't see ?!
I have a 15' tall 30x30 metal building and yes from time to time, I'll find a dead one on the floor when I open up the shop. It might be several days between visits - to long without food and water.
Last years hurricane did a number on those near by - fewer by a bunch this year.
Martin
RonB wrote:

RonB wrote:

Yeah, we got one in the store once. Back and forth it went the length of the 60' store. "I'll fix this," I thought. So I got a towel and stood beneath the bird's flight path. As he approached me, I threw the towel in the air. The towel went up. The bird stopped. The towel came down. The bird resumed.
It eventually found the open door.