OT: Craigslist question

Does anyone here think this is worth $750.00?

Michael

I doubt that you could build one for less than that, however it looks like the base needs some repairs. Probably loose joints as evidenced by the newer bracing, which might be grounds for negotiating.

Reply to
Dan Kozar

Check Rockler:

Doug Winterburn

It's likely an antique--the company was doing business around 1900. As such it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it. $750 would not be an unreasonable asking price, but if the owner knows the market and how people deal they expect to get less.

Reply to
J. Clarke

If that bench was here, I'd pay that price. I, compared to others, may be more apt to pay a bit higher price, than it may be worth, because I like r are old tools. I would find some appropriate old lumber to repair it (bra cing) to it's proper vintage period. I think it's worth that price.

There's a similar early-to-mid 1800s work bench at the "Paul Micheals" (fur niture store), here, measures about 21' long, with vises, has similar lower (secondary, newer) bracing, for $1800. I'm considering buying it, but I don't quite have the space for it.... yet.

Building a replica is fine, but, to me, having an original is much preferre d. That one is in much better shape, than the Paul Micheals one. The PM one seems to have been left out in the weather for some (good?) while.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

As a workbench? Not likely. As an "antique" or a novelty - to the right person, undoubtably. Might take a while to find that "right person" but they are out there.

Reply to
clare

No comparison between a modern chinese flat-pack workbench and an antique american workbench, when it comes to "value" - particularly as a piece of "art" or craftsmanship.

Reply to
clare

The Scandi Plus 1825 or the Elite 2000 from Rockler are much more equivalent in concept - and look at the prices!!!

Reply to
clare

If the top was flat, and the location was here, I could probably come up with a five or six hundred dollar offer. I would enjoy long after I forgot about the money (probably you too?).

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Absolutely, to the right guy, who would be someone who appreciated the quality and the history in that old citizen. That end vise is magnificent. A careful cleanup, retaining the patina, could make it the centerpiece of a shop for a woodworker who was into antique tools.

My guess is that it's not standing on the original base. Looks like someone stood it up on some 4x4 replacement legs and then nailed some 1x2's to them in a vain attempt to try to stabilize it. One would want to find some pictures of other examples and build a proper base for it. But it would be worth it, at least to me, even without a suitable base.

Tom

Reply to
tdacon

I agree with Tom. The table top is the most important aspect, though I would inspect it to see if the legs are original. I think they are.

I think the asking price is more than reasonable and I would snap it up, in a heartbeat. The table, as a whole, is in great shape, for its age.

You rarely find these tables, anymore, especially in that condition. I'm surprised it's found on Craigslist, of all places!!!!

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I'm willing to bet the same can be built for under a $100 or at the most, $150. The difference is the "antique" label. If I'm building a workbench, I'm building it to use, not to admire as art. If someone wants to pay the asking price, then it's worth it to them. I'd rather it'd be functional.

Reply to
Meanie

That's absolutely ludicrous. If that quality of work bench could be built for anywhere near $150, then every woodworker in the nation would have one.

You'd be lucky to purchase the lumber, for the build, for $150.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

It's a pieced together wood top supported by 4x4s with 1x2 or 1x3 cross supports. Seriously? Because it's old wood it's more expensive? The labor would be more expensive but IMO, still not worth the asking price except to someone who wants to pay it.

Reply to
Meanie

Could be. I would never use it for a kitchen island, but it's a nice old bench, that needs some work in the leg area.

Reply to
woodchucker

The required leg work likely would allow for negotiating a reduction in pri ce, by maybe $200-$300.

If Michael has ideas of using it in his shop and has the space, maybe negot iating a bundled price for that cabinet (last pic, behind the work bench) i s an option, also, depending on the condition of the cabinet, $600-$800 for both? The guy selling the work bench has several other items listed, als o. Help him declutter his "storage building/barn".

Compare that work bench to this one!?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Would you pay that much for a workhorse with no legs? That's what it is ...

Reply to
Swingman

And they are much lighter benches than the one on Craigslist.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Have you priced vise mechanisms lately? And I'm guessing it's probably hardwood, at least the top.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

That's what I was going to say. As an antique, maybe. I'm not an antique expert. As a workbench, helz no. You could build a pretty sweet-@$$ workbench for $750. I'd be interested in seeing the vice hardware, however.

Reply to
-MIKE-