OT Craigs List

Page 2 of 2
If you look closely at Craig's List there is /has been a "caution", "disclaimer" there for quite some time. Regarding scams.. Sell locally and you can avoid these little hiccups.

Who is getting scammed here and by whom? I took one of the checks to my bank and they took one look at it and said they wouldn't even cash it for me. So who is losing money on this?
--
I'm just a little curious, why did you not contact the police department?
Kate

wrote

thing"Don't Cash the Check", they claim that there are too many of these scams going on and they are so expensive to persue that they don't have the resources to do any thing about them. Alot of them seem to be international in scope and out of the venue of the local or even federial authorities.

There are federal agencies interested in such scams although you shouldn't expect action on your particular complaint, but they do want info.
http://www.scamdex.com/Reporting.php
http://www.419legal.org/reporting-fraud /
http://www.crimes-of-persuasion.com/Victims/reporting.htm
http://banspam.javawoman.com/report3/scam1.html
http://www.fakechecks.org/
"Curran Copeland" wrote

There was actually a Houston CL "ad" this morning where some individual was warning about the exact same scam on an item ... looks like the scammers may have "flagged" it enough times to get his warning post removed. :(
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07
wrote

thing"Don't Cash the Check", they claim that there are too many of these scams going on and they are so expensive to persue that they don't have the resources to do any thing about them. Alot of them seem to be international in scope and out of the venue of the local or even federial authorities.
Amazing, isn't it? That's a darn shame.
K.

It sure is.

I haven't found this snopes link in this thread yet: http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/cashier.asp
They don't seem to be international, they ARE all international. That's a key part of the scam.
"The scam works because the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. (FDIC) requires banks to make money from cashier's, certified, or teller's checks available in one to five days. Consequently, funds from checks that might not be good are often released into payees' accounts long before the checks have been honored by their issuing banks. High quality forgeries can be bounced back and forth between banks for weeks before anyone catches on to their being worthless, by which time victims have long since wired the "overpayments" to the con artists who have just taken them for a ride."
If the bank does accept the check and give you the money, the only way to be safe is to hold the cash till the check actually does clear or not clear. Which, assuming the bank doesn't spot it and refuse to cash it, can take weeks.
I suppose one can actually make money on it by using the time it takes to clear to invest it in something short-term and high return. But most of those schemes are also illegal. :-)