http://www.wimp.com/reliantrobin /
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/22/10 4:48 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Me, too. I saw that on its original show, TopGear, and I rewound about eleventy times.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

I am in the office for a very long day today. I took a few moment off to look at this. Wow, totally unusual. It was dry, British humor. I laughed my ass off every time the car rolled.
Is this slapstick? It must be.
The funniest part, to me, was how polite everyone was when they righted the car. Needless to say, I won't be buying one of these cars. And training wheels for a car? I think it would be a suitable vehicle for clowns.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Nov 22, 11:23 pm, "Lee Michaels" <leemichaels*nadaspam* at comcast dot net> wrote:

Well, he did say the American Embassy ran a fleet of them! OK OK, that was a cheap shot, but you left me no choice...
I agree, I wouldn't have had one - I am pretty sure they are not made now. There always used to be the occasional one popping up in modified car magazines when I was growing up as some nutter would cram a Cosworth motor into them or a Ford V6 or something and go and worry the hat-hatches.
Add pictures here
βœ–

When I was in the UK, I took a liking to this particular Reliant: http://preview.tinyurl.com/259xjxx Hard to believe it is from the same company.
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/22/10 5:49 PM, Robatoy wrote:

That is a badass little car.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–

(There are, of course, cars that are also more 'most beautiful', but those hail from other eras, like the '57 Bentley drop-head, Bugatti Royale, Voisin, lots...)
Add pictures here
βœ–

It would help if I posted the link:
http://www.autos4fast.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Aston-Martin-DB9-3.jpg
Add pictures here
βœ–
On 11/22/10 6:32 PM, Robatoy wrote:

Yes, the TopGear guys are always bustin their nuts over the DB9's... rightly so.
--

-MIKE-

βœ–
I have to say, I never heard of the Reliant Robin before, and after looking at the video, I wasn't sure if the whole thing wasn't some kind of April Fool's day joke or something. So I decided to google it and see if it was real. Not only real, it turns out. but after Top Gear ran that episode, there was a rash of incidents where Robin owners throughout GB found their cars tipped over by pranksters/vandals. In typical British understatement, one article I read about these tippings quoted a BBC (they produce Top Gear) spokesman: "We do not condone these activities."
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
βœ–
On Nov 23, 1:35 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

There is also another strong reason why they were so well-known here. For years, there was a very popular sitcom called Only Fools and Horses and the main characters had a knackered-looking, yellow van version of the three-wheeler:
http://i32.tinypic.com/24c9w9j.jpg
(The logo on the side reads: Trotters Independent Trading Co. Paris - New York - Peckham)
Add pictures here
βœ–

Mentioning the van reminds me of the USA's own 3 wheeler of the sixties. Take a look at the Trivan:
http://www.3wheelers.com/trivan.html
As a kid I lived in Pottsville PA, not far from Frackville where they were built. A neighbor around the corner from me had a sales job with them for a time and often drove one home. I remember even as a 10 year old noticing how much that engine sounded like a lawn tractor.
plausible, and wrong." (H L Mencken)
βœ–
On Nov 23, 10:57 pm, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

That's a funky little thing! A probably-more stable version of a three- wheeler, too. I reckon one of those these days would make a great marketing device for town / city deliveries (for a shop that sells light-weight things!).

Heh, I can imagine. Not sure how well the 2-stroke diesel would go down with the air-quality bureaucrats today though!
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 22:57:32 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote:

the single wheel on the rear. Not terribly smart for a load carier, as it turned out - bur much more stable than a Robin. It sounded like a lawn tractor engine because it was - Kohler 22HP twin.

Add pictures here
βœ–
<<...snipped...>>

DUH!

βœ–
responding to http://www.homeownershub.com/woodworking/OT-Cracking-up-again-329208-.htm Trivan guy wrote:
Larry W wrote:

------------------------------------- Larry W. PLEASE contact me. My girlfriend Debbie & I OWN THREE Trivans. I would LOVE to talk to you about the old days when these trucks were being made. I am at 610-375-8383 evenings, or 484-794-5549 cell. I live in Reading, Pa. MY email is: snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net. Thanks, Bill.
Add pictures here
βœ–
: On Nov 23, 1:35 am, snipped-for-privacy@sdf.lNoOnSePsAtMar.org (Larry W) wrote: :> I have to say, I never heard of the Reliant Robin before, and after looking :> at the video, I wasn't sure if the whole thing wasn't some kind of April :> Fool's day joke or something. So I decided to google it and see if it was :> real. Not only real, it turns out. : There is also another strong reason why they were so well-known here. : For years, there was a very popular sitcom called Only Fools and : Horses and the main characters had a knackered-looking, yellow van : version of the three-wheeler:
:
http://i32.tinypic.com/24c9w9j.jpg
A blue one was also one of Mr. Bean's nemeseses:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=II1U-85lzkQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
μeRhqqVGT0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_MWVqpvs74

And many others. Brilliance.
-- Andy Barss
Add pictures here
βœ–

(There are, of course, cars that are also more 'most beautiful', but those hail from other eras, like the '57 Bentley drop-head, Bugatti Royale, Voisin, lots...)
Volvo P1800 - any year.

βœ–
: wrote: :> On 11/22/10 5:49 PM, Robatoy wrote::> :> > When I was in the UK, I took a liking to this particular Reliant: :> >http://preview.tinyurl.com/259xjxx :> > Hard to believe it is from the same company.:> :> That is a badass little car.:> : THIS is badass (and the most beautiful automobile ever made. IMNSHO.)
Nah, try these:
http://www.cbsnews.com/2300-3445_162-2846924.html
-- Andy Barss
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 23 Nov 2010 04:12:36 +0000 (UTC), Andrew Barss

The little Reliant Scimitar WAS a nice piece of machinery - as was the scimitar sabre. and the Reliant Kitten (the 4 wheel version of the Robin) wasn't bad for a puddlejumper.

Add pictures here
βœ–