OT: Congratuilations to the people of Iraq

Page 4 of 5
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:17:38 -0500, Waldo wrote:

The numbers are: 25 million citizens 14 million eligible to vote 8 milliion voted
- Doug

9 million children..
57% that could vote did vote. Sounds like a successful election.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 11:00:07 -0700, Doug Winterburn

pretty damn impressive numbers, BEFORE you factor in snipers, suicide bombers, mortars, etc...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

There may have been other persuasive factors but it's hard to know what's really going when most of the media have their heads up their butts.
http://ipsnews.net/interna.asp?idnews '256
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 15:44:44 GMT, Charles Krug

Gives you a lot of respect for a lot of Iraqis, don't it?

for sure... I really didn't think it was gonna happen without MAJOR shit raining down... maybe the insurgents took the week end off??
OTOH, I wanted to go do some serious ass kicking in the US, with so many of the folks that live here bitching about how "difficult" it was to vote in the US yesterday...
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

Geez, maybe we are just plain winning this war and there either aren't that many insurgents left or they are dismantled to the point of being inable to disrupt things like they used to. This was a red letter day for Iraq and you can bet your bottom dollar the insurgents would love nothing better than to destroy the success of the vote. I read that in one of the suicide attacks on election day that insurgents used a child with Down's Syndrome as the bomber.
http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/news/articles/16278831
This is dispicable, however I guess it's not really any different that their normal MO. I just wonder, is this an indication that the number of their followers is dwindling especially those will to die for the cause?
On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 13:22:51 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

I doubt it.. never a shortage of fanatics, especially in an area with strong religious background.. "god is on our side, strike a blow for god"...
My guess is that they used the kid because it works... they proved that in Nam over and over, with cute kids selling coke and stuff that were remote detonated at the"right" time..
mac
Please remove splinters before emailing

You and everyone else, including all the world media, are dead wrong.
In case you don't recall, Iraq has had elections, as recently as 1995 and 2002. Saddam was elected both times.
Of course, Saddam was the only name on the ballot, but that's a minor detail.
mp wrote: ...

...(wrt to elections)...
All reports I've seen have been clear to mention "free" or "open" elections which recent ones of which you reference clearly weren't.

Whatever do you mean? Everyone was free to vote for Saddam.
"mp" wrote in message

What is it that you don't understand about the phrase "representative form of government"?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

I don't understand how you can't see the humour. Regardless, it's a bit of a farce to suggest that the Iraqi's voted in a "representative form of government". You can't ram democracy down the throat of a country suffering under foreign occupation.
The United Iraqi Alliance will probably take power as they have the majority, and they're headed towards incorporating Islamic law and proclaiming Islam as the countries official faith. In short, in a few years it'll be a theocracy much like Iran. This isn't exactly what the Bush admin had in mind, I'll bet.

form
suffering
I see. I missed where people were led to the polls at gunpoint by US troops. There's an easy way to keep democracy from being shoved down your throat...don't show up to vote. For Christ's sake...even Jacques Chirac said the vote was a success.

years
admin
You should use your crystal ball to pick lottery numbers.
todd

mp has a long, untarnished history of bufoonery 'round these parts when it comes to politics and foreign policy. Do a search in the archives of his political postings and you will soon disregard anything he adds to these conversations.
Frank
Hey Frank. Go f*ck yourself.
: mp has a long, untarnished history of bufoonery 'round these parts when it : comes to politics and foreign policy. Do a search in the archives of his : political postings and you will soon disregard anything he adds to these : conversations.
: Frank
Actually, Frank, that's you.
    -- Best,
     Andy Barss

It was successful in the sense that Ayatollah Sistani led mass protests last year demanding a vote and a constitution. If not for him Paul Bremer and the CPA would have appointed a puppet goverment.
It was unsucessful in the sense that the results, whatever they may be, will be mostly meaningless as long as Iraq is forced to remain subservient to a foreign occupying power.

Which, as we all know, is going to be forever, right?

Hopefully not, but why then, would the US be building permanent military installations throughout Iraq if they plan on leaving anytime soon?