OT: Congratuilations to the people of Iraq

Page 3 of 5

Oh, bullshit, Andy. Limbaugh has never claimed to be unbiased. He's quite forthright about admitting his bias, to the point of referring to his program as "The Limbaugh Institute for Advanced Conservative Studies" -- as you would know if you ever actually listened to the program. But instead you're quite content to repeat other people's opinions as if they were fact, never bothering to check for yourself.

I've never heard Savage claim to be unbiased either.

ROTFLMAO!! What "consequences" has Dan Blather faced?

Oh, and how is that clear?

If you would ever actually listen to Limbaugh and Hannity, instead of just mindlessly repeating what other people have told you about them, you'd hear criticism of the President's fiscal policies.

well, he did lose a rather high paying job
<snip>
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Actually, not really...he "retired" from the anchor but is moving (still in CBS) to a reporter status...I've not seen published salary figures but I seriously doubt he'll be hurting much financially... :)
On Thu, 03 Feb 2005 05:56:17 +0000, Andrew Barss wrote:

So I assume you're content with the SS system as it stands, which means you're for increasing the national debt by trillions of dollars, double taxation, spending money now and passing the debt to future taxpayers so they will be paying 70-80% of their income on income tax, government style Enron accounting practices to claim false surplusses, ...
Great idea. Glad you're looking out for the children.

On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:24:17 -0800, Larry Blanchard

According to the reports, a lot of Iraqis didn't go to the polls early because they were waiting to see what the level of violence would be like.
Some later reports said that even in the Sunni areas there was a turnout later in the day. The reports agreed that the turnout in the Sunni areas wasn't nearly what it was in the other parts of the country, but most of them reported a significant turnout in most of the Sunni areas as well. Turnout among the Kurds and Shiites, of course, was very high.

I saw a real interesting headline on one of the non-American (Turkish?) news stories about the election to the effect that Iraqis were stepping over body parts to vote. Don't know if that was hyperbole or not, since I didn't bother to read that article. If that was a Turkish newspaper note that they'd have no reason want the elections to be a success.

Hit google news and ask for the full list of articles on the subject. Then pick and choose among the American and foreign news reports. You get a lot better picture. If this really concerns you, do you _not_ want to be relying on the TV news gerbils for your information.
--RC

Makes sense, but it is nonetheless pure conjecture, and a perfect example of "made up", editorialized news .. and more insidious because it is believable.
The dumber the population that will take that particular type of "news" as fact, the further in the hole we go.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Not when it is coming from the people on the ground who are reporting what Iraqis told them.
And in fact that seems to be what happened, judging by the turnout and the anecdotal reports from Iraqis in the world press
So I'd say they got this one right.
--RC

of
But, do you know that to be the case, or are you just surmising that? Did you actually see/hear any Iraqi say that in an actual interview, or hear a reporter say that he got that particular "reason" from an Iraq voter? I spent the day watching all the news channels while bunkered down with a cold, and equally nasty weather, and never once heard that particular "reason" verified by anyone.

But you may well be proving my point also ... sorry, call me a skeptic, but I would have had to hear that from the actual voters to believe it was nothing more than conjecture, reasonable as it sounds, on the part of the press.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Reading carefully from a variety of sources. So it's more than just surmise, although I sure wouldn't present it as a certaintity -- hence the initial qualification.

A number of Iraqis were quoted to that effect later in the day. And it seems to be borne out by the pattern of voting in the election.

Yes.
Your mistake was relying on the American television reporters -- the most gerbilish of the news gerbils. For a variety of reasons they are _not_ a good source for information like this.
I was using Google to find news resports in papers all around the world, including the US, and reading a lot of them. I ran across this explanation several times from a number of different sources.
Also, and this is a little hard to explain, if you've been in the business you can usually make a pretty good guess at when someone's summing up a general feeling and when he or she is parroting one side of an argument or just blowing smoke.

Actually I'd call you a pretty reasonable person. A lot better than uncritically trusting what you hear or read in the media.

Logical, and I don't blame you. But you'll get a much better picture of any major event if you don't rely on television for your news.
--RC
Because you're dead wrong about that, I suspect even more that you have been all along. There are a plethora of foreign news sources on the 500 or more cable channels available here ...from the BBC, to the Russian newscast.
Of course, you admittedly got yours from the Internet ... so how in hell could one argue with the infallibility of that, eh?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

How so?

In fact the comment was borne out by later reports on Iraqi voting behavior, including stories of individual voters.

And you watched -- how many of them?
American or foreign, all of them suffered from the limitations which are inherent in the television news process. In fact I suspect most of them suffered more than the American reports in some areas because I doubt any of them had the resources of the American networks to throw at the coverage.
Oh yes. Apparently you missed something. Another poster reported seeing statements directly from Iraqis on the news reports relating to late voting.

No, I got mine _via_ the Internet. From the widest variety of written news reports I could find. In addition to the full spectrum of American news sources that included Lebanon, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait, India (several sources), China (several sources), Germany, France (several sources, including AFP), South Africa, Latin America, Thailand and a bunch of others I don't remember.
You see, like you I don't trust American news reports to be complete in a matter like this. But rather than making pronouncements ex cathedra from my bellybutton I go looking for better information.

Easily. I don't claim any of them are infaliable. What I do claim is that I made a concerted effort to find out what a wide variety of sources were reporting. I can further report that a number of those sources made the same comment/observation about the early voting, including some who quoted Iraqis directly.
This was further backed up by reports later in the day that included interviews with Iraqis who had voted late and the reasons for it.
--RC

Here's a comprehensive list of online newspapers from around the world. http://www.ipl.org/div/news /

I'm impressed. With threats of death, they got 60% of eligible voters voting.
Over here, we barely get 50% on a good day, and all we have to do is walk down to the fire house and hit the touch screen.
I don't recall the last time someone told me they were gonna kill me for voting to reelect the Sherrif.
Charles Krug wrote:

According to the news this morning, it was 60% of the 'registered' voters. The number, or percentage, of 'eligible' voters that actually registered beforehand has not been readily available.

"Waldo" wrote in message

Yep, you'll notice that the "yabbuts" are beginning to chime in today ... there will be many such _qualifications_ presented in the days to come to put the most negative spin on the issue as can be presented. Count on it.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Well, I'm not happy with our involvement in Iraq, and I think GWB is aimed solidly at being the worst U.S. president in history, but I believe the Iraqis and our troops pulled off a true wonder here, regardless of all the "yabbuts" anyone lays on them after today. Bush can take credit for our being there, but it is the people on the scene who get the credit for the success of this election.
I'm delighted and I hope the success continues.
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

I have to agree with that. I just worry that once the Shiites take power, they'll put in a theocracy and this will have been both the first and last free election in Iraq.

That is certainly a valid concern. One hopes that the the Shiites in Iraq are not under control of the islamo-fascists that hold control in Iran.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety

Oh, that goes without saying, particularly in the US and Britain. Even so, it was an amazing performance and well worth celebrating.