OT: Congratuilations to the people of Iraq

Page 1 of 5
... for taking that first step, shaky though it may be, to a representative form of government.
Imagine, if you will, partaking in your religion's death rites the night before going to vote in case you were murdered while voting? How many of you in this country, who bitch about having to stand in line for twenty minutes, would brave DEATH to cast your vote in a national election?
These courageous folks deserve the support of the _entire_ world, and in particular, the UN, for what they did today.
And thanks to the courage and sacrifice of the Coalition servicemen and woman, and their families, who made it possible.
This start today need not be in vain as long as support for those who would risk death to vote in Iraq is forthcoming from ALL the countries in the world.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04
"Tom Veatch" wrote in message

Well hell, if there is anything I've learned from living with SWMBO these past 20 years is that "optimism" can be the _very_ factor that leads to success. I, like you apparently, am not naturally wired that way ... but I am going to try to buck the trend in this case.
;>)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

Amen. And consider that voter turnout appears to be higher than in recent federal elections in both the US and Canada. And that terror attacks were really quite minimal.
djb
Dave Balderstone responds:

I have to admit to surprise. I figured a voter turnout in the 15% range, given all the evident fear in recent weeks, and the Iraqis came up willing (given their troops' propensity for bug-outs, that was a real surprise, but when looking at the videos, I noted that an awful lot of the voters were women...that may speak more for the overall possibility of long term success than anything else. God knows, Muslim women have got to be sick and tired of the crap they get handed from the day they're born).
Charlie Self "They want the federal government controlling Social Security like it's some kind of federal program." George W. Bush, St. Charles, Missouri, November 2, 2000
On 31 Jan 2005 00:24:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

I'm think' that may be a great testimony to either a huge misread by the press who have been covereing the lead up to this, or else a dishonest shaping of the news by said group of scribes.
I hope it was the former.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm
"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!

Havn't been paying much attention to media coverage since the war began eh?

Now you're getting warmer...
Frank

eh?
Yep. Because everyone knows it's in the interest of the press to cast the situation in Iraq in the best possible light.
todd

Plain ole honesty would be fine with me.
Plain ole honesty.
Just like in Mayberry.
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm
"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!

*sigh*....and then you find out that Aunt Bee was a lesbian.
And that barber always spent a little too much time with young boys.
Barney took bribes and Andy secretly worked for DieBolt.
-----------------
The press reported that Bush ( Mr. Mandate) & Rice called the Iraqi election "a success"
What else were they going to say?...That it wasn't?
If you repeat a lie often and long enough, eventually it will ring true.
If you want truth, DL, don't expect any from the current administration, the press, Kerry's administration (had there been one) or administrations in Americanada or the EU.
If you want to know who wields the big sticks, look at the campaign contributors. The rest is window dressing.
It is my sincere belief that American and coalition soldiers (including my fellow Dutch (Shell) country men) are dying for oil and control of Israel's back-door. The lofty rhetoric of democracy is nothing but a smoke screen to sell this particular war. If the reason for this war was so noble, why the lies to get it started? Every time I hear about Bush being a warrior for Christ, I cringe and think of Matthew 24:24. Democracy was truly at stake in WW2, The Allies rose to the occasion; something for which I will be forever grateful. My views may not be popular, but this discussion was about truth.
0?0
Rob--->who just expressed his views. You (the global 'you') are entiltled to yours.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 02:18:51 GMT, "Frank Ketchum"

I was trying to be fair and balanced! :)
- -
DL
http://www.geocities.com/dicklong14_ca/fanclub.htm
"Hopefully with the demon-spawn Whitsitt out of the picture our scouts and coaches will be able to do their jobs."
::::::::::::::::
Halter Sucks!

It was the lattter, I'm afraid.
djb
On Sun, 30 Jan 2005 17:30:00 -0800, DL

The problem with what we've been hearing out of Iraq is the concentration on the violence and the areas that are the most troubled -- where the insurgents are strongest -- to the near exclusion of everything else.
As a result we've gotten a very lop-sided picture of what's actually happening in Iraq and a lot of the real progress has been ignored.
I don't know if any of you were in the thread on this NG a couple of months back where someone made a bunch of statements about how horrible conditions were in Iraq and I demonstrated with just a little Google searching that the statements were almost all untrue. The person was repeating what he'd been told by various sources -- and he bought the information because the overall picture given by the news media contained almost nothing about the non-military progress.
I don't think it's dishonesty on the part of the media -- it's the normal news gerbil tendency towards: If it bleeds, it leads.
The hard fact is that in a situation with a lot of violence -- whether it is Vietnam in the 1960s, urban riots in the same decade, or Iraq now -- you're unlikely to get a good picture of what's really happening by reading the main news accounts.
As a former newspaper reporter and editor who still has a great love for the profession, I'm intensely proud of the American press and what it has accomplished. However I'm also keenly aware that there are major, major institutional failures in the process that seriously distort the information the average reader gets.
--RC

IOW, the problem lies, not so much with the media, but with the dumbed down shitheads who believe everything they hear or read, and those who only read or hear what they want to believe?
I can get my head around that. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 11/06/04

No, the problem lies with the media. They're not doing their job right.
But until they do, yeah, you're right.
--RC
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 05:25:24 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@TAKEOUTmindspring.com wrote:

We've also got a lot of lop-sided people coming back from there, something that is also being largely ignored.

You mean the killed and wounded? Yeah. IMHO we badly mishandled it and we're paying the price.
That said, keep in mind that the estimates if we'd been fighting a halfway competent army is that the casualties of the invasion would have been two and two-and-a-half times what we've taken so far.
Keep that closely in mind the next time we think about invading someone.
On 31 Jan 2005 00:24:49 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Might be that all that "evident" fear was merely "reported" fear packaged and put forth by a media that has been all-too willing to emphasize the bad and ignore any good occurring over there.
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ The absence of accidents does not mean the presence of safety
(Charlie Self)

Nonsense. The Shiite clerics declared a fatwa some weeks ago (making it the religious duty of all Shiites to get out and vote). The Shias are the largest population group. Their turnout was expected to be high. The Shiites want to dominate the new government (and they will).
Likewise the Kurds in the north have been stable (and semi-autonomous for more than 10 years). They will turn out to vote, too.
The places where the turnout were feared to be low were in the Sunni areas ... Iraq and the large cities in the Triangle. If their turnout was over 50% then this is a great success. I have not heard that number, though. I fear that it is low.
I certainly hope (and pray) that this is the turning point in Iraq. But frankly, I hold little hope that it is. I see nothing to stop the Sunnis from continuing to escalate their civil war as they have been.
Nate Perkins wrote: ...

Well, from what I saw last night, it appears it was fairly good in at least a couple of these areas where was initially thought to be going to be <very> poor...

I personally think this will be the momentum for the rest to say "enough is enough" and start the process...it will be slow and painful, but I think the response shows an unwillingness to let another repressive regime be established...