OT Completely!!! Spanish? Que?

Page 3 of 5

No: programmers and systems analysts. But I don't have any trouble communicating with Indian cab drivers and the staff in Indian restaurants, either. My wife and I are both fond of Indian food, and we eat in Indian restaurants frequently, so college-educated professionals are not the only Indians I come in contact with.

And your point is... ? (Other than highlighting your personal prejudices, I mean.)

I can apply the same comment to you, too -- you don't seem to have encountered any Indians who speak proper English, and as far as you're concerned there can't be any.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

Where did I write that?

Same place I wrote the attitude you attributed to me...
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

"I've met a fair number of [Asian] Indians in the workplace and in college; all of them speak excellent English, and all of them learned to speak it in India -- in fact, it's the first language for some of them."
All of Indians that you've met speak perfect English.
I don't disagree with that. I never said that all Indians my wife has met don't speak English. This is same as the Polish, Czech, Russians, Pakistani, etc... that she's also come in contact with. Some speak great English, some don't. I'll agree that most Indians do speak great English, just not every Indian who has had kids in my wife's class.

I didn't say that. "Perfect" is your word, not mine. See above for what I actually wrote about the ones that I know. You quoted it, but you didn't appear to have actually bothered to read it.
And where, exactly, did I say that I thought that meant that they all do?

Just like I never said that all Indians I've met speak perfect English, or that Indians who don't speak perfect English don't exist.
Like I said... same place where I wrote the attitude that you attributed to me.
--
Regards,
"Doug Miller" wrote

I've met very few Americans who speak perfect English.
Max
"Press 1 for English" "Press 2 to hang up and call back when you can understand English"
Max wrote:

As a multilingual person explained to me, "It is easy to learn to speak English, it is difficult to learn to speak English good."
--

FF

LOL. He doesn't speak it well either.
--
Want change? Vote out the incumbents.

B A R R Y wrote:

Really? Look in the yellow pages under "Physicians".
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote:

Absolutely!
I had an Indian doctor as a child, my favorite beer store is owned by two Indians, and I deal with several Indian programmers. They all speak excellent English and are very educated.
I'll say it again... Many of the Indian kids my wife has had in class have parents who speak perfect English. Others have parents who barely speak English.
B A R R Y wrote:

UseNet being international it ocurred ot me that your wife might not be teaching in the US. In fact, you still didn't say in which county that inner city is located--might have been Hamburg.
--

FF

Doug Miller wrote:

Sorry I misquoted you in other posts. You got me interested in the subject enough to learn more... <G>
I went and looked it up and found some stuff that actually surprised me.
According to: <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demographics_of_India> about 150 million of India's population of 1.1 billion speak English.

IOW, about 1 in 7. I'm surprised it's not higher, but I'm sure that the ones who do speak English are more interested in moving to the U.S. than the ones who don't.
--
Regards,
Doug Miller wrote:

So was I! <G>
Tue, Oct 3, 2006, 8:52am snipped-for-privacy@carolina.rr.com.crap (MortimerSchnerd,RN) doth sayeth: <snip> Being bilingual is a very good thing in today's world.
I've heard that if you know four languages, English, Spanish, French, and Chinese, you can make yourself understood anywhere in the world. Don't know how accurate that is, but it does make me wish I knew all four.
Just remembered, the first time I was in Germany, one of the French NCOs (NATO assignment) was dating a German girl, and their common language was English.

Ultimately it will be an asset as when he has his Mexican gardener do something different the gardener will not be able to fall back on the old stand by, I no speakey English, to get out of doing as instructed. Also at this age he will retain more of what he learns than later on.
Tue, Oct 3, 2006, 12:36am (EDT+4): .@. (Stoutman) <snip> Why do 'they' feel it is important to teach my 4-year old son Spanish words when he can barely speak English?? <snip>
It has been proven that it is much easier to learn a second language early. Knowing a second language makes learning additional languages much easier. Knowing a second language, or more, could come in handy to the kid. Never hurts to learn new things.
I learned German (passable enough to understand, and tell, dirty jokes) in my mid-late 20s. I was in Germany at the time and it came in handy numerous times. What helped me most was my female friend at the time hung out in her mother's little bar, frequented mostly by people who only spoke German. It was either learn or be left out - still took some work on my part tho. Would have been even handier if I'd known French, for when I was in France, and later Vietnam. Would be handy today to know more Spanish today than just taco and burrito.

My grand kids are learning spanish, too.. and I think it's great..
I don't know where you live, but here in Calif., people with 2 or 3 languages have far better employment and social opportunities, and the younger you learn something, the easier it is..
Mac
See also sci.lang and misc.kids.
There your questions will be on-topic and read by people with experience with the relevent issues.
OTOH, you probably don't want to ask them about wood finishes.
--

FF

Stoutman wrote:

Because at that age he'll learn Spanish without even realising it. Leave it to 10 for starting another language and most kids will never manage it.
If you think Spanish is a bad choice, then that's one thing. But IMHO, _all_ kids should be exposed to a second language around this age - it's what four year olds are programmed for.