OT Completely!!! Spanish? Que?

Page 1 of 5
I have a 4-year old son who goes to day care 3-days a week. He likes to watch Dora the Explorer which for those of you that don't know, teaches kids a few Spanish words. I use to object to him watching it, but now I don't have the energy to keep changing it when he watches it. Now he comes home from pre-school and they are teaching him the days of the week in English and in Spanish. What the f---???
Why do 'they' feel it is important to teach my 4-year old son Spanish words when he can barely speak English?? Is Spanish going to be on the SAT or LSAT or MCAT ???
This is getting really ridiculous.
Stoutman (in VfiUg.253$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com) said:
| Why do 'they' feel it is important to teach my 4-year old son | Spanish words when he can barely speak English?? Is Spanish going | to be on the SAT or LSAT or MCAT ???
Nope - but it may be needed to obtain a guest worker pass...
Morris Dovey (in 4521b89c$0$25785$ snipped-for-privacy@news.qwest.net) said:
| Stoutman (in VfiUg.253$ snipped-for-privacy@tornado.southeast.rr.com) said: | || Why do 'they' feel it is important to teach my 4-year old son || Spanish words when he can barely speak English?? Is Spanish going || to be on the SAT or LSAT or MCAT ??? | | Nope - but it may be needed to obtain a guest worker pass...
Sorry - that was a smartass response.
I've had some some experience indicating that people who learn to think in multiple languages gain some degree of advantage in solving problems - perhaps something to do with being able to bring different different cultural perspectives or though processes to bear. Whether it's ever tested or not, I would thing that maximizing the ability to communicate would be a plus for anyone.
:) At least here in Canada we have an OFFICIAL second language. Actually, the town I live in here in redneck Alberta has our stop (and many street) signs in French and English, and all our schools are bi-lingual. There's old farts around here who don't speak any English (only French) and in the video store the other day (renting for my wife, not me. Promise!), there was a young couple just having a normal conversation in French. Still takes me by surprise after being here for 2 years.
Clint

Tue, Oct 3, 2006, 1:51am (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.none (Clint) doth sayeth: <snip> there was a young couple just having a normal conversation inFrench. Still takes me by surprise after being here for 2 years.
No reason to be surprised, I've heard the same, in French, Dutch, Swedish, and I'm not sure what all, in my local post office. And I live just outside a small town in North Carolina.
Children at that age can easily absorb two languages. It's good brain fodder, too. It'll be okay. Tom Stoutman wrote:

have been studying Spanish for years (I have 40+ Spanish speaking employees and I travel to Mexico frequently) and really regret not paying more attention in Spanish class.
Remember, one say the Junior Beer man may run a large company that employs Spanish speaking employees. After all, what can it hurt?
Dave
"Stoutman" wrote:
> I have a 4-year old son who goes to day care 3-days a week. He likes to > watch Dora the Explorer which for those of you that don't know, teaches > kids a few Spanish words. I use to object to him watching it, but now I > don't have the energy to keep changing it when he watches it. Now he > comes home from pre-school and they are teaching him the days of the week > in English and in Spanish. What the f---??? > > Why do 'they' feel it is important to teach my 4-year old son Spanish > words when he can barely speak English?? Is Spanish going to be on the > SAT or LSAT or MCAT ??? > > This is getting really ridiculous.
I feel sorry for you.
You obviously don't understand the value of being bilingual.
Lew

I totally see the value in being bilingual! I wish I spoke 10 languages, that would be awesome.
You are missing my point. He is FOUR. Shouldn't he learn English first?
Instead of teaching him two new Spanish words per day, I would rather 'they' teach ONE new English word!!
I assume you speak and write some sort of English at home, eh? He'll learn from you his primary language. Maybe like Yoda will he even talk! Tom Stoutman wrote:

Too funny! This is why you should never drink a beverage while reading this NG. How bad is Yuengling for my keyboar-gksdl dssd?

Actually there have been many many studies that show that teaching a second language is most effectively done when started at the pre-school age, without detriment or delay in learning the primary language. Personal observations of bilingual people in my own family (unfortunately I'm not one of them) certainly bear that out.
--
No dumb questions, just dumb answers.

He is learning more english than you are aware of. As you say there is nothing but good about being bilingual.
All this reminds me of a friend who teaches kindergarten. 20 all day long in her class. The usual mix is at least 10 who speak only one language and it is not english or spanish. One year there were 14 who spoke only one language and it was not english or spanish. After 6 weeks with lots of recess time they all spoke english as well as any kindergartener. And se impressed the parents to keep up the other languages.
Bob AZ
Stoutman wrote:

He'll learn English without anyone teaching him words. Not so with Spanish.
Que el aprenda bien.
--

dadiOH
____________________________
On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 03:25:07 GMT, Stoutman wrote:

I do agree with youthat teaching him spanish is probably not a good idea. They should be teaching him chinese, that way he'll be able to get a job when he grows up.
Pete
. never trust a man who, when left alone ...... Pete Lynch .

No kidding.. LOL Unfortunately you would have to be a genius to learn to speak Chinese to "any" Chinese person. My neighbor is Chinese and cannot understand what other Chinese neighbors are saying. Apparently there are many many versions of Chinese.

Written Chinese is fairly standardized, spoken Chinese has region-specific "dialects" that are as different from each other as Spanish is from French. Mandarin, which was the language of the ruling class until the Communists came in (and may still be for all I know), has the most speakers--my impression is that an "educated" person learned Mandarin in addition to any regional dialect but I'm a long way from an expert on China.
Peter Lynch wrote:

You don't know how true that is Pete, my sons school teaches french and German, with russian and manderin being optional extras.... At work we have had a massive influx of chinese students, to get the money in the uni has dropped the english requirement, one translates for the rest, the biggest issue is their attitude to safety or other instructions, anyone below the level of Dr. need not bother as they will be ignored. Give it 5 years and they'll dry up as an income source, they'll be teaching the subjects back at home!
Badger, on the South coast of England.
Peter Lynch wrote:

his own business and his maid and gardener as well.
Glen
Glen wrote:

Almost on-topic for this newsgroup is a comment made to me by the foreman supervising remodeling of our office just outside of the DC beltway. "You have to speak Spanish to workin construction around here."
My personal observation is that Jamaican patois would be useful for anyone in the local tree service business.
--

FF

"Watchout below for the fukkinshitlimbmon!"